Darrio Naharis cast- Ed Skrein

tyrions sliced nose

Yeah, I've always thought that blue hair with the forked blue beard and yellow mustache would look make him look like a clown. Wouldn't work well on television. I just wish they gave him a beard, but I really like his armor. The costume designers of this show are fantastic.

It looks like it came out of Conan. The new Conan. This is not a good thing.

I don't mind losing the hair dye or the gold tooth or what have you. But his being a flamboyant popinjay would definitely carve out a space for him that no one else has in the series. This sword-and-sorcery/grunge mish-mash is derivative and boring. I had expected better.

ETA: This also reminds me of the very, very first artwork the Dabels produced for their proposed Ice and Fire comic to GRRM. The artist was a talented one, but that said, his designs were very, very sword-and-sorcery, lots of chainmail pieces randomly pieced on, big shoulder pads, the works.

The Dabels did not end up doing the Ice and Fire comic, and the artist that did their Dunk & Egg adaptation went in a direction more in line with what GRRM did envision.

I kind of like how grungey it looks, with all the belts and scales. Trying to give the impression that this a well-travelled sellsword; all these components have been added over time, over travels.

The pauldrons look a bit shit though, yeah. Very fantasy .But this is a show with a previous in that regard (House Lannister's garb for example).

Here's our first look at Ed Skrein as Daario.

I'm very happy with his appearance -- it's far better than what was described in the books!

OMG! I might actually end up liking him. He looks like an effeminate FABIO! Are those face tattoos?

ETA: I think the costume people did an amazing job with this. Daario's mannerisms definitely come accross. I wonder if he still has the gold tooth behind those pretty lips.

He doesn't look douchey enough without the blue beard and naked woman daggers. How am I supposed to hate him now?

Anyway, even though the costume isn't what I expected, I think it looks pretty good. And about his make up...are those supposed to be scars? Or tattoos?

He doesn't look douchey enough without the blue beard and naked woman daggers. How am I supposed to hate him now?

Anyway, even though the costume isn't what I expected, I think it looks pretty good. And about his make up...are those supposed to be scars? Or tattoos?

I hope the daggers show up. They'll up the sexual tension between him and Dany :P

Those are weird scars if they were scars. I think of Daario as the type of guy who would put decorations on his face.

I felt the same way about wanting to hate him. I was dreading the blue hair and tried to imagine Ed Skrein with it when I learned he was cast. It looked hideous in my mind. Now I actually find Daario to be quite pretty.

I wonder if his braid is an homage to the Dothraki. We know he's a wannabe. The show made Dany's attraction to him make more sense. She sees the long braid and it tells her he hasn't been defeated in a long time. Now I think the HBO Daario is going to make blush too.

I hope the daggers show up. They'll up the sexual tension between him and Dany :P

Yes... that way, I can hate him again.

I felt the same way about wanting to hate him. I was dreading the blue hair and tried to imagine Ed Skrein with it when I learned he was cast. It looked hideous in my mind. Now I actually find Daario to be quite pretty.

I wonder if his braid is an homage to the Dothraki. We know he's a wannabe. The show made Dany's attraction to him make more sense. She sees the long braid and it tells her he hasn't been defeated in a long time. Now I think the HBO Daario is going to make blush too.

It's not just Daaro..everyone is way too pretty. I just can't hate Daenerys and have a crush on Emilia Clarke at the same time. :P

And I like the braid idea...he's a mercenary roaming through Essos, so he could have picked up some of the Dothraki's customs.

It's not just Daaro..everyone is way too pretty. I just can't hate Daenerys and have a crush on Emilia Clarke at the same time. :P

And I like the braid idea...he's a mercenary roaming through Essos, so he could have picked up some of the Dothraki's customs.

You are so right. Iain Glen is too hot to be Jorah and I can't find him creepy and annoying like book Jorah. I think they beautified him so when Dany finds out about what he did, it'll be that much more emotional. I have a hunch that something bad will happen to Daario and they made him pretty so that we'll be sad and confused with our feelings when it all falls to shit.

He is already a wannabe Dothraki with his arakh, so I like how they gave him a braid too.

Dany notices this:

His garb, rich as it was, had seen hard wear; salt stains patterned his boots, the enamel of his nails was chipped, his lace was soiled by sweat, and she could see where the end of his cloak was fraying.

So I think they did well capturing the flamboyance but also the man of action beneath that. I have problems with the writing, but rarely the casting and presentation.

The things that stand out about him for her is "swagger" and also she finds him "beautiful". I'm glad they got his general look the way it was in the book, but beyond that, the details are there primarily to convey this, I think.

I'm not sure what's flamboyant about the outfit. It's drab. It's stereotypical sword-and-sorcery mishmash.

In fact, one the things about Daario which always stands out for me is the fact that he goes around unarmored, basically. He trusts his skill and speed and sword. Jorah looms with his armor, Barristan dons armor to fight, you've all these knights in Westeros wearing steel head to toe... and this guy thinks he's such a badass that he wears fancy satins and silks and doesn't seem to be worried about getting killed.

It's a very different impression that they're making. I had hoped they'd go for the frayed, well-travelled dandy. Think Archie Cunningham in Rob Roy.

Archived