Literary Elitism

Screaming Turkey Ultimate

I wasn't denigrating The Hunger Games. I was trying to think of a book / series that regularly gets trashed on the Boards.

Oh, I didn't take it that way at all, but even if you had, I wouldn't have taken it personally. I seriously read some crap. :D

Am reading a bio of Marc Bolan of T Rex right now. I have no shame. Literally. Heh heh.

What if I just like authors who happen to be on the "elitist" lists?

The elitism I encounter most often is the one where people say "I don't read literature, I'm better than those lowly hipster/elitists/other forum members/whatever"

This. When this subject pops up on this board, which happens 10-12 times a year, it almost always turns in to a shitfest where the people who identify as "genre" fans completely dismiss "literature" as boring, and those who read it as "snobs" or "elitists". Yes genre gets a bad rap, and genre fans encounter snobbery, but like EB, the elitism I encounter mostly centers around people telling me I only like the books I like because some professor told me I should. When you dismiss all "literature" as elitist you are the one being a snob. You can't imagine why anyone would read Dostoevsky over GRRM unless a teacher told them to? How about because of the beautiful writing, the heartbreaking stories, or the profound, thought-provoking themes? You wanna let people know why you love genre? Then start arguing for genre, instead of arguing against "literature".

Am reading a bio of Marc Bolan of T Rex right now. I have no shame. Literally. Heh heh.

Marc Bolan is one of the most beautiful human beings to ever live. If you love him then I love you!

What are those "accomplishments", and why should they matter to anyone now in terms of selecting what to read?

I really like Dostoevsky, but I can't fathom an objective argument for why anyone should read Crime and Punishment over ASOIAF. Other than your teacher/professor requiring you to read it.

Of course, by the same token, I don't see an objective argument for George Carlin being superior to Larry the Cable guy.

Accomplishments? I'd say varied depending on what author or work you are talking about but like in science current writers are standing on the shoulders of giants. I just think the older works tend to be more thoughtful broadly speaking.

Does anyone have to read the older works? Not at all of course. If all you want to do is read 40k novels go right ahead. Its a free country. You are just missing out on the best stuff. The best stuff is harder to read for the most part but on the upside it has a greater payoff. Don't read them for school! To get the most out them you have to read them on your own. At the high school I teach one of the english teachers assigns the students to read the Hobbit. The student are miserable because of the tests and reports that accompany the book. They hate JRR Tolkein now.

George Carlin is better than Larry the Cable guy though I do enjoy Mater from Cars. I am more of a Bill Hicks guy myself.

Marc Bolan is one of the most beautiful human beings to ever live. If you love him then I love you!

I adore Marc Bolan and his fantastic hair. He was seriously the hippest guy ever. Have you seen the footage where he's singing with Bowie and falls off the stage? It's awesome. They were having such fun.

Thanks for the love. :)

I adore Marc Bolan and his fantastic hair. He was seriously the hippest guy ever. Have you seen the footage where he's singing with Bowie and falls off the stage? It's awesome. They were having such fun.

Thanks for the love. :)

If your question starts with, "did you see when Bowie....", the answer is always yes.

This forum is full of elitists. I posted a thread about Twilight novels and got banned for a week. If you dont like the novels dont enter the thread. People are so immature

I don't think it was the thread topic that got you banned.

Archived