Literary Elitism

Screaming Turkey Ultimate

Title, please. I'm asking for a friend. ;)

It is called Bolan: The Rise and Fall of a 20th Century Superstar and it has tons of photos of him with his gorgeous hair.

I am not going to admit how much I paid for this paperback.

Also, I (gulp) read The Night Circus and I really, really liked it. Please don't judge and throw me in with JoffreyisaPimp. :)

No everybody loooooves the night circus. IF you don't, you suck, or something? See topic.

My theory on that is that it's the Tim Burton movie we've all been waiting for - that we all just really want more Beetlejuice/Scissorhands-era imagery, and that if he's not going to give it to us, we will either a) write our own Burtonesque novels during NaNoWriMo, or B) go apeshit over said novels.

And then after a few months, the book fades, and Burton puts out more stuff that looks like the neighbors in Scissorhands, and we feel sad because we're not sure if he's fucking with us or just that un-self-aware.

I keep hoping he'll buy the rights.

You are just missing out on the best stuff. The best stuff is harder to read for the most part but on the upside it has a greater payoff.

Define payoff in a way that is not subjective. Writing is not like math/science.

Trust me, if you've been in a bookstore recently, the night circus isn't fading any time soon. Damn pile of books is taller than I am.

Edit: As long as I'm ranting, I'd like to say that all you people who went nuts over The Last Werewolf are full of shit. I could right a better book with I stuck a typewriter up my butt. /troll

Trust me, if you've been in a bookstore recently, the night circus isn't fading any time soon. Damn pile of books is taller than I am.

Edit: As long as I'm ranting, I'd like to say that all you people who went nuts over The Last Werewolf are full of shit. I could right a better book with I stuck a typewriter up my butt. /troll

Sorry. Meant "fades from memory." As in "we forget why we liked it, or realize it was really only the imagery that we loved."

Edited to point out irony because I'm an ass, though I would agree that Last Werewolf started great (the initial description of transformation is all kinds of awesome, IIRC), but ends with a whimper. Not even remotely interested in the sequel.

See? I not spel sp gut butt i right beter buuk!

No, I'm just sick of people turning there noses up at me when I say I don't like it. Plus the constant I'm so clever I'm quoting Shakespeare isn't that clever HEY ITS SHAKESPEARE. Ug.

So, y'all have seen the Lev Grossman and China Mieville pieces about "genre ghettoes," right? Seems apropos.

Two more authors that I don't like and get made fun of for not liking!

What if I just like authors who happen to be on the "elitist" lists?

The elitism I encounter most often is the one where people say "I don't read literature, I'm better than those lowly hipster/elitists/other forum members/whatever"

Nothing wrong with liking them at all. I like my fair share of classic and "literary" novels.

*snip* what to use to kill the various kinds of dragons

Please. Tell me more.

You can't imagine why anyone would read Dostoevsky over GRRM unless a teacher told them to? How about because of the beautiful writing, the heartbreaking stories, or the profound, thought-provoking themes? You wanna let people know why you love genre? Then start arguing for genre, instead of arguing against "literature".

:wub:

I read what I find interesting. Is The Great Gatsby a Work of ArtTM? Perhaps. Will I read it? Maybe if you pay me. But if it's a paltry sum I'm just gonna grab a random Stephen King book (yes, even The Tommyknockers or Dreamcatcher) and you can shove your money and The Great Gatsby up your bunghole.

Conversely I have tried thrice in the last 4 years to read Perdido Street Station because it's supposedly The Bees KneesTM, according to people whose tastes I trust both in real life and online. I still can't get past the insectoid sex part :ack:. I think I'd rather re-read The Idiot, which I find to be funnier than Mitch Hedberg, Liz Lemon and Arrested Development combined. I like all three in their own respects, but I think that "boring classic" can make anyone with a sense of humour shart with laughter.

If you're gonna force things into boxes labelled "literary" and "genre" however, I seriously doubt that even people who prefer the "genre" box will want to rub elbows with Twilight, Danielle Steel, and Dean Koontz fans. Bonus link: Paulo Coelho disses James Joyce ERMEHGERD.

I dunno. I don't only read for my enjoyment. Sometimes I want more from a reading experience than just "well that was kind of fun." Not that you can't get more from non-literary works.

I think at times it is hard for people to understand why anyone would like certain 'literary' works, other than them being a snob. If they find it so tedious and pointless how could anyone actually enjoy those books. Thus, they must just say they like it so they can feel superior to the rest of us.

For the most part, I find it pretty difficult to get into many literary works. On the other hand, I can remember very well the impact of books like Great Expectations and Of Mice and Men (is Steinbeck literary enough?).

BTW still chuckling about sologdin's Bowie comment. That was pretty damn good timing.

Archived