Mance

redriver

Out of likes at the moment, but I got 100 coming along for this thread lol. No one is more of a badass than Mance. Let's not forget that he not only united a 100 different wildling tribes, but he did it with the lowest birth possible and the wildling hatred/stigma against "crows". How? Do you ask? He kicked all their asses, and in the process somehow made them all extremely loyal to him. You see, he is such a badass that people aren't angry about losing to him, they have a similar reaction to Jon who was like "Oh well, that guy is freaking incredible, gotta go against the best, it was an honor to get my ass kicked by the Mance".

On the subject of Jon, important to remember that during his battle yard duel with Mance, Jon is literally sitting there thinking to himself, "That's not possible, he can't wield that sword like that, he should be tiring out, he should be slower" etc.. That's Jon, an experienced swordsman in his own right, literally being stunned by how good Mance is.

As for Mance himself, he's not just a pretty face or a total badass. He's smart, compassionate, tricky, and impossible to predict/manipulate. Perhaps most awesomely, he not only loves to sing "I tasted the Dornishman's wife" (and make no mistake, he most likely has in fact, tasted the Dornishman's wife), but he can cleverly change the lyrics on the fly to courageously make both Roose and Ramsay Bolton laugh at the joke. How awesome is that?

Qhorin Halfhand- former friend and colleague and awesome legendary ranger- "Oh well, Mance was better than me".

Make no mistake, Mance is the most awesome character in the series.

<snip>

Perhaps most awesomely, he not only loves to sing "I tasted the Dornishman's wife" (and make no mistake, he most likely has in fact, tasted the Dornishman's wife), but he can cleverly change the lyrics on the fly to courageously make both Roose and Ramsay Bolton laugh at the joke. How awesome is that?

Not just that, check out the reactions to Mance singing.

He was still waiting for his porridge when Ramsay swept into the hall with his Bastard’s Boys, shouting for music. Abel rubbed the sleep from his eyes, took up his lute, and launched into “The Dornishman’s Wife,” whilst one of his washerwomen beat time on her drum. The singer changed the words, though. Instead of tasting a Dornishman’s wife, he sang of tasting a northman’s daughter. He could lose his tongue for that, Theon thought, as his bowl was being filled. He is only a singer. Lord Ramsay could flay the skin off both his hands, and no one would say a word. But Lord Bolton smiled at the lyric and Ramsay laughed aloud. Then others knew that it was safe to laugh as well.

An entire army is afraid to laugh until Bolton laughs, but Mance has no fear of singing it and risking the wrath of that army. And look at some of the lyrics:

But the Northman's blade had a song of its own,

and a bite sharp and cold as a leech.

"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done,

the Northman's taken my life,

He's singing about Ramsay getting killed and comparing Roose's leeching to getting stabbed -- to their faces. You know they remember this when he steals Ramsay's wife too.

An entire army is afraid to laugh until Bolton laughs, but Mance has no fear of singing it and risking the wrath of that army. And look at some of the lyrics:

He's singing about Ramsay getting killed and comparing Roose's leeching to getting stabbed -- to their faces. You know they remember this when he steals Ramsay's wife too.

Wow, this is really interesting. I never looked carefully at what Mance was actually singing...All I remember is changing the words from Dornishman's wife to Northman's daughter. Great find as per usual Ragnorak.

If Mance is singing about it, that means it's about to happen, because again, it's Mance, and he is an awesome kicker of asses. This does not bode well for Roose and Ramsay lol...On the plus side, it means that Roose and Ramsay are about to become Stark loyalists, because as we all know it as an honor to get one's ass kicked by the Mance.

Stannis? Bah!

Uptight and unsexy, grinding his teeth into climax.......

But a singer who is a badass - he needs not be handsome, he has a beautiful voice and a sharp brain to charm a woman onto his bearskin...... That's different

Stannis? Bah!

Uptight and unsexy, grinding his teeth into climax.......

But a singer who is a badass - he needs not be handsome, he has a beautiful voice and a sharp brain to charm a woman onto his bearskin...... That's different

I agree-the Stanstans sometimes makes do a Spock-face but roManciing the King-Beyond-the-Wall? Yes please and I'll be back for seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Jon tricked Mance so he is cooler and Stannis won him in battle so he is cooler too...

I'm sure Mance has some surprise for Stannis left. I think that while Stannis will be freezing his balls outside Winterfell, Mance will organize rebellion in the castle and defeat Roose and take all the glory. Poor Stannis.

So, how did he pull off the rhyme? I don't remember the details

Well, Jon tricked Mance so he is cooler and Stannis won him in battle so he is cooler too...

1 Jon&Stannis

2 Mance

This does not denote coolness. Neither Jon (emo bs) or Stannis (uptight) are cool and I love Stannis but no where near cool especially compared with Mance!

Stannis' victory over Mance isn't impressive for Stannis. Stannis had an army of well armed and well armored men whereas Mance was leading an army of people with rusted swords and sticks. The fact that Stannnis considers this victory to be one of his notable accomplishments is testament to just how awesome Mance was as a commander.

Archived