My Disappointments with aSoS *Mega-Spoilers*

Marc Hill

Jon would not have had to burn Winterfell's godwsood or accept R'Hllor if took Stannis up on his offer. That was just a friendly suggestion by Melisandre, not an order by Stannis

No, it's definitely part of the deal. I just finished rereading ASoS the other day, I remember clearly Jon thinking that to get Winterfell, he would have to forsake his vows and his Fathers gods. There are no "friendly suggestions" by Mel, she speaks for Stannis just as much as he speaks for himself.

No, it's definitely part of the deal. I just finished rereading ASoS the other day, I remember clearly Jon thinking that to get Winterfell, he would have to forsake his vows and his Fathers gods. There are no "friendly suggestions" by Mel, she speaks for Stannis just as much as he speaks for himself.

Jon jumps to that conclusion, since Mel tells him to convert (he doesn't know that she tells everyone to convert, so this doesn't mean much). But Stannis never says anything about burning weirwoods or taking a new god. Stannis is very capable of disagreement with Mel - he is not her tool.

"Say nothing of what we've discussed here today. To anyone. But when you return, you need only bend your knee, lay your sword at my feet, and pledge yourself to my service, and you shall rise again as Jon Stark, the Lord of Winterfell."

-Stannis, pg. 1286

^That's the concrete offer, and there is nothing about converting there

Remember when Mel burned the Seven on Dragonstone? If Jon became Lord of Winterfell, he would be Stannis's bannerman. And Stannis's bannermen ALL worship R'hllor.

Not true.

Read what I just posted. Those from Dragonstone worship the Red God because they have been exposed to Melisandre for a long time, and see her power. His forces on the Blackwater were for the most part worshippers of the Seven. So is Davos, his most trusted advisor. He does require a show of faith from the wildlings, but they are an exception for obvious reasons.

In A Dance With Dragons SPOILERS BELOW.....

He allies with the Mountain Clans of the North to retake Winterfell, and they are fanatical Old God worshippers.

I agree with what you're saying about Jon becoming LC. That rattled me too. However, I am glad he rejected Winterfell. It was his way of taking Tyrion's advice about not forgetting who you are - and I really loved him for it, for a brief moment before he became LC and received all that undue attention.

Sam, yes, he's annoyed me from day one and continues to. He does something in AFFC that VERY MUCH annoys me.

Sandor, bless him, seemed to completely lose all prowess in my eyes after the Blackwater. GRRM didn't give us any opportunity to see him recover from those events.

Reviving Catelyn is like the worst thing GRRM ever did in ASOS. I liked her when she was alive. As a zombie, I don't care how many Freys she hangs...

I loved Oberyn. It was totally in his personality, imo, to not give up until he heard The Mountain say his sister's name. He was a great fighter - but a fool at heart.

And Jaime .... <3 Def the best part of ASOS x 1000

Archived