How Will Manderly Prove That Davos is Alive?

Tall-Talker

The battle of ice is going to happen. It would be cool to see GRRM use the historical battle of Lake Peipus.

It seems pretty unlikely that Rickon and Davos are going to show up before a battle takes place. I'm not too sure how long it's been since Davos spoke with Manderly. Maybe they could show up after? Also there's the question of if the Skagoisi will have troops loyal to Rickon.

Not too sure what will happen with Manderly, but I hope he slaughters those Freys. That would be pretty satisfying. Doing that and helping Stannis get Winterfell might do the trick. Or at least allow him a chance to talk to Stannis and explain.

If it goes down the way I expect Manderly won't have to convince Stannis of anything he'll just bend his knee...The one who will do the convincing will be Asha since as we've seen from the Theon1 chapter she is now something substantially more than just a "prisoner"...and it will be up to Wex to convince her since he has been privy to Manderly's moves ans she has known him since he was a child..

It goes down something like this the Freys make their intial attack fail somewhat and on retreat are cut to pieces by the Manderlys...Asha has Stannis's van and takes Manderly as they surrender...Wex has been with the Manderlys since White Harbour thru Winterfell (he is the Hooded Man) and suprises Asha with his apearence at Manderly's side...It is at this point Wex lays out what he knows of Manderly's plan to Asha...Asha confirms those plans with Manderly, tells Manderly to bend the knee to Stannis and she will take the lead in explaining the plan to Stannis...

Melissandre is all the way back at Castle Black tho.

How so? Stannis wanted Jon to be the Stark in Winterfell, he wanted a Stark to rally the North and declare fealty to him. He will assume Rickon will swear him fealty, the real question is will he?

The REAL question is, is Rickon even alive?

A little foreign boy and wildling spear wife wander into Cannibal territory with nothing but Shaggydog to protect him. Shaggydog took down a unicorn, but appears to have been wounded in the process. Meanwhile, Ghost didn't get a glimpse of Osha or Rickon. How do we know the unicorn didn't gore them, too? Or that they weren't snatched from Shaggydog and eaten, books ago? It's possible Shaggydog just barely managed to escape, himself. It's also possible that the fight between him and a unicorn took place in an arena, rather than out in the woods, and that Shaggydog isn't even free, but rather, will be having to take on another unicorn before the hole in his side even heals.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I always wondered what reason a land of cannibals would have NOT to eat Rickon. Osha and Shaggy are good protection as far as it goes, but not if they got surrounded by a whole tribe. I'm hoping they decided not to go to Skagos at all--it sort of seemed just as bad as hanging around in the North hoping not to encounter white walkers.

Skagos is supposed to have a good relation with Winterfell, especially since
there is speculation that grandma Stark was from Skagos.

They would protect Eddard's son.

Anyway, GRRM said we would see more of Osha, since he liked the performance of the actress in the show so much. I highly doubt we would see Osha if Rickon was dead.

Plus, who says they eat their living? Some cultures eat their dead to honour them, so they would still be considered cannibals without killing humans to eat.

Skagos is supposed to have a good relation with Winterfell, especially since

there is speculation that grandma Stark was from Skagos.

They would protect Eddard's son.

Anyway, GRRM said we would see more of Osha, since he liked the performance of the actress in the show so much. I highly doubt we would see Osha if Rickon was dead.

Plus, who says they eat their living? Some cultures eat their dead to honour them, so they would still be considered cannibals without killing humans to eat.

Rickard's mom was a Locke of Oldcastle, not a skagosi. his father was a younger brother of the wandering wolf.

Lyarra (Rickard's wife) was a Stark from birth. her dad was the wandering wolf. her mom was a Flint.

at least in the last 3 generations, there is no Skagosi in the stark family line.

http://static2.hypable.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/WOIAF7.jpg

Rickard's mom was a Locke of Oldcastle, not a skagosi. his father was a younger brother of the wandering wolf.

Lyarra (Rickard's wife) was a Stark from birth. her dad was the wandering wolf. her mom was a Flint.

at least in the last 3 generations, there is no Skagosi in the stark family line.

http://static2.hypable.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/WOIAF7.jpg

Oh, I didn't see this new family tree, thanks!

We've seen davos writing letters to his wife and sons..I'm sure they could think of having him write one for Stannis ..including some detail only Stannis and Davos would know...

I suspect that the Manderly's have a letter for Stannis that could be from nobody else but Davos, that contains things that only Davos would know i.e. what really happened when he smuggled Melisandre inside the walls of Storm's End.

But they'd best be prompt in producing evidence, as Stannis is like to be very un-forgiving otherwise.

I suspect that the Manderly's have a letter for Stannis that could be from nobody else but Davos, that contains things that only Davos would know i.e. what really happened when he smuggled Melisandre inside the walls of Storm's End.

But they'd best be prompt in producing evidence, as Stannis is like to be very un-forgiving otherwise.

Yep. I'm sure we missed some extra off-page plotting. Both Wyman and Davos are too smart to just end that little chat beneath the feast in White Harbor with, "All right, you go get Rickon. Blue Forty Two. Hut, Hut, Hike!"

Davos would have told Wyman and Robett a way to communicate to Stannis that he's alive and working with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Stannis will just have to trust him tbh. Stannis will probably just think what is one smuggler against the wealth of White Harbour and all its ships

Stan respects Davos more than that, but there'd be ways of making Stannis believe, were that even needed at all before Davos comes back to tell the tale himself. And obviously Stannis would know the real Davos.

I think Manderly was just hedging his bet. If the GNC failed, he could treat with Stannis by giving him Davos and Rickon. If Davos failed, it didn't matter because everyone already thinks he killed him. If Davos succeeds and the GNC failed then Atleast the North had rid itself of Bolton and Freys. I don't think Manderly would have made a move without knowing one of his plans has worked.

We don't even know that Wyman is going to switch sides yet. He was pretty clear when he told Davos that he would not flip until he had a son of Eddard's. Naturally, he may very well decide that circumstances have changed, and now is the time to act, with or without Rickon; if he does, the defection alone should be adequate proof to Stannis. After all, the Boltons appear to have the upper hand right now, so Wyman can't be easily accused of acting opportunistically. If he explains the whole truth to Stannis, it'd be hard for him to disbelieve it; it's all pretty rational.

Anyone else find it odd that the 2 wolves left to impact the story in the North south of the wall are the ones that are jet black or white as snow? Any significance maybe?

For the thread tho, I think it'd be easy for manderly, as I don't think he would actually fight Stannis in the field but sooner betray the Bolton's and Frey's. And how else will he be brought before the Mannis other then in defeat of the Bolton's? Which could totally happen after Davos makes it back.

Maybe the deciding factor in the battle on the Ice will be a surprise charge of kamikaze skagosi warg unicorn cavalry. Yes. I like the image of Ramsay turning to run from Rickon and his unicorns and the horn goes right up into his butt

Archived