The Lord Regent of Westeros

SeannieWanKenobi

I just finished listening to A Dance With Dragons read by Roy Dotrice. I've read the book twice so this is my third time through the fifth volume of ASOIAF and it just occured to me that the Lord Regent of Westeros has been killed.

So... who will be the Lord Regent when The Winds of Winter is released?? Would Mace Tyrell be both Hand and Lord Regent?? Cersei has not the power to stop that from happening it seems. Or would someone else be the Lord Regent?? Jaime would be perfect for the office if he were in King's Landing.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm suspecting Cersei will be back in that position as soon as she can manage it. Something will happen in the plot, and she will reclaim her dominance over her son Tommen.

It would have to be someone older and related, but with Kevan's death, Mace Tyrell does not really have a proper claim to it. He's Margaery's father, so as long as Cersei is alive, her claim to it is better than his. Only death or imprisonment can really deny it to her.

Someone mentioned the Faith, and I think one intriguing possibility is that they would appoint Lancel Lannister as the new regent (he is older, a relative, and faithful).

Obviously Cersei will try to take back the position, but I don't think the Faith will let her. Also, once Margaery tells Mace and Randyll Tarly what Cersei did to her they will not want her anywhere near Tommen. Since the Faith and the Tyrells are in by far the strongest positions right now, it's unlikely Cersei will be able to regain the regency.

It's very possible that the Faith will put Lancel into the position and I don't see the Tyrells arguing since they'll see he could be easy to manipulate.

Cersei is accused of treason, and murder which she will is to stand trial for. I don't believe that she will be able to be allowed to accept that posistion. I think it will be Mace since he has the best claim to it as the father-in-law to the King and he will also use the fact that he is a high lord and the fact that he has the niggest army to make sure he gets appointed.

I'm suspecting Cersei will be back in that position as soon as she can manage it. Something will happen in the plot, and she will reclaim her dominance over her son Tommen.

If Cersei thinks the Tyrells with Tyrion murdered the only two dominant Lannister supporters on the small council, she will make herself Queen Regent again to check the Tyrells. She will have UnGregor win her trial by combat with the Faith. Cersei will use the Tyrell girls as hostages to keep Mace Tyrell compliant. While Mace may have a large army in KL, size doesn't matter as long as Cersei's men can get to Margaery first.

It would make a lot of sense for Kevan Lannister to be Lord Regent. I don't know who decides these things though. He seems to be a vanilla choice. No real ambition for himself. Soft enough where the Tyrells can still excercise power but a Lannister so no one can really complain.

It would make a lot of sense for Kevan Lannister to be Lord Regent. I don't know who decides these things though. He seems to be a vanilla choice. No real ambition for himself. Soft enough where the Tyrells can still excercise power but a Lannister so no one can really complain.

Yeah I'm on board. unKevan for regent!

With Kevan dead and Cersei on trial, the Lannister soldiers who are in King's Landing don't really have anyone who's remotely fit to lead them. So, the way is clear for Mace Tyrell to take the regency and solidify the Tyrell power in King's Landing. It will most likely be peaceful, but if not, he's got enough swords in KL to cut down all those who oppose him. Which is exactly what Ned should have done...

I don't see cersei becoming lord regent for a couple of reasons

1. She has lost essentially all power. She is on conditional release. The conditions of which preclude her from ever regaining the Regency. If she does she will likely face a rebellion by the Faith who are currently far better armed than she is even w/ R. Strong. Furthermore Kevan, who secured her release, is dead and the Faith will likely suspect her of having some part in his demise putting her release in jeopardy. She doesn't really have anyone on the council to act on her behalf. Qyburn - master of whispers, if he's still alive, is outnumbered and outranked by Mace Tyrell and company.

2. The Tyrell's hold most the small council. Mace Tyrell is power hungry and will presumably use his position as Hand to place a piece of paper in front of Tommen to have him sign his name a place his seal on it making Mace Regent.

3. I think Varys is grateful for the damage Cersei did to the realm, but knows she's damaged goods, Mace Tyrell is known to be both power hungry and stupid. This makes him a perfect catspaw dumb and predictable. Surely Varys knows what was said in small council meeting in the epilogue to ADWD and thus, like Kevan, knows what a fool Mace is and what a mess he would make of things. For instance if he were to pardon Margery the Faith would be ever more angered at the King's court and it's sinful ways. He also know's he's likely to run off to Storm's End as soon as possible leaving the realm and his newly pardoned daughter in the hands of his "trusted" bannerman Randle Tarly. All of which will please Varys very much.

I've never thought of Lancel gaining the status of Lord Regent, but that would be an extremely great twist on George his side. Unexpected, yet very logical.

If Cersei thinks the Tyrells with Tyrion murdered the only two dominant Lannister supporters on the small council, she will make herself Queen Regent again to check the Tyrells. She will have UnGregor win her trial by combat with the Faith. Cersei will use the Tyrell girls as hostages to keep Mace Tyrell compliant. While Mace may have a large army in KL, size doesn't matter as long as Cersei's men can get to Margaery first.

One: "as long as she can get to Margaery first" won't be as simple as it sounds, she has been released into her father's custody. Two: Margaery's cousins as hostages? Now there's no possible way it could backfire, is there?

I imagine such a dialogue:

Tyrell: Randyll, my old friend, Queen Dowager took some hostages of my family, and I'm troubled. What would you do?

Tarly: I would take a walk to Lannisport, sack the city and put it to the torch, take a few hostages named Lannister and kill everyone else. While you here besiege the Red Keep until I return, my lord.

Tyrell: You think? Sounds reasonable. Off you go, then.

That's the extreme scenario, but who has the biggest army around can do a lot of nasty things. The point is, if Cersei ceases even pretending to play nice with other kids, the other kids will stop playing nice with her.

One: "as long as she can get to Margaery first" won't be as simple as it sounds, she has been released into her father's custody. Two: Margaery's cousins as hostages? Now there's no possible way it could backfire, is there?

I imagine such a dialogue:

Tyrell: Randyll, my old friend, Queen Dowager took some hostages of my family, and I'm troubled. What would you do?

Tarly: I would take a walk to Lannisport, sack the city and put it to the torch, take a few hostages named Lannister and kill everyone else. While you here besiege the Red Keep until I return, my lord.

Tyrell: You think? Sounds reasonable. Off you go, then.

That's the extreme scenario, but who has the biggest army around can do a lot of nasty things. The point is, if Cersei ceases even pretending to play nice with other kids, the other kids will stop playing nice with her.

1. Marg is in the Red Keep where there are Lannister guards.

2. The problem with that dialogue is if Tyrell had Tarly do that, he would be having the Tyrell girls lose their heads for his lack of cooperation, that is what hostages are for. Only a bigger idiot than Mace would fail to see that. Plus, Cersei is not the one known for thinking things through.

Archived