Jon Snow is Azor Ahai (the text proofs)

Jon's Queen Consort

I try to gather all the proofs that suggest that Jon Snow is Azor Ahai reborn (and The Prince Who Was Promised)

So far I have:

When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.
Bowen Marsh's salty tears on Jon’s wounds provide the smoke and salt.

From Jon’s dream:

Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again.

Mel’s flames:

I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R’hllor shows me only Snow.
S not s

Mel’s words:

This is my place as it is yours, and soon enough you may have grave need of me. Do not refuse my friendship, Jon. I have seen you in the storm, hard- pressed, with enemies on every side. You have so many enemies. Shall I tell you their names?

What I have forgotten?

What would you like to add?

My only issue with Jon being AAR is that I can't see him as a champion of R’hllor. He's a northerner through and through, a champion of the old gods. Of course, I have no idea what the future holds for him or whether he'll undergo a fundamental shift in allegiance, but for now I have trouble seeing it.

There's still the possibility, as I've seen mentioned around these forums, that Azor Ahai is just a bastardization (no pun intended) of the Last Hero myth, and that this "savior" figure isn't really a fire champion at all.

I noticed the .."R'hllor show's me only Snow" on my first re-read and was extremely proud of myself. That one people tend to miss discussing as well, I've read the "Jon - AA" threads many a times and this one is mentioned but not taken into account that much.

Some people even claim it to be mistake and that Martin or some editor forgot to change it before printing the book. I call BS on that one.

And then there's the discussion about AA - PtwP - Last Hero if they're the same thing/person but just from different cultural views. (As Pugsley stated above)

There are threads for that as well

I noticed the .."R'hllor show's me only Snow" on my first re-read and was extremely proud of myself. That one people tend to miss discussing as well, I've read the "Jon - AA" threads many a times and this one is mentioned but not taken into account that much.

Some people even claim it to be mistake and that Martin or some editor forgot to change it before printing the book. I call BS on that one.

I personally don't believe in mistakes. Also Snow is something pretty important and something that don't fit very good for a character who is the Warrior of Light (and Fire)

Nice try, JQC! :lol:

Seriously, good points albeit nothing new. I think Jon is definitely one of the strongest candidates but there is no evidence proving (or disproving) it at this point.

The dream is interesting but the only thing that suggests any sort of connection about it toward Azor Ahaiship is the description of the blade. The latter part of the dream does not sound positive at all. It seems sort of like a mixing and recasting of various events that Jon was involved or thought heavily about. The Others, spiders, and undead took the place of the Wildlings while the killing of Ygritte and Robb appears to perhaps have reflected uncertainty and anxiety over various decisions that he made.

The statement Melisandre makes is also interesting yet the series of visions she sees right before making it seem, for the most part, to have nothing to do with the Azor Ahai prophecy. Only the final vision about the danger to Snow actually focuses on a single person.

With the born on smoke and salt prophecy. We know that melisandre and other red priests see visions and don't always interpret correctly . And so I would take salt to be snow and smoke to be steam from the wounds. This would make sense as I imagine the red priests who first saw this vision had never seen snow before.

Daenerys Targaryen is Azor Ahai:

Far and away the most likely candidate for Azor Ahai, Dany fits all the requirements. She awoke the dragons out of her petrified stone eggs, on the very night she spotted the comet for the first time. (GoT, pg. 804). That night, there was smoke from the funeral pyre and salt from Dany’s tears. And she was ‘reborn’ in the sense that she emerged from the fire a stronger person--a leader whom the Dothraki would follow.

But how does Dany’s story match up with Salladhor’s? Well, one suggestion has been that her dragons are actually Lightbringer, because they can produce fire. This makes a great amount of sense. Like Azor Ahai, Dany tried three times to make her weapon--once while putting them on a brazier (GoT, pg. 593), once while coming out of her fevered nightmares (GoT, pg. 753-754), and finally succeeding on the third try at Drogo’s pyre. Also, like Azor Ahai, Dany sacrificed her spouse to make her weapon, and drew the weapon out of a fire.

Other people merely think that Lightbringer is still a sword, and perhaps Dany will find it elsewhere, maybne in Asshai or far east.

But the fact remains that, of all the candidates, Dany is the only one who has woken dragons out of stone. Unless another character is going to accomplish the same thing, Dany seems like a safe bet to be Azor Ahai reborn.

Taken from another website. http://www.angelfire...q/azorahai.html

Daenerys Targaryen is Azor Ahai:

Far and away the most likely candidate for Azor Ahai, Dany fits all the requirements. She awoke the dragons out of her petrified stone eggs, on the very night she spotted the comet for the first time. (GoT, pg. 804). That night, there was smoke from the funeral pyre and salt from Dany’s tears. And she was ‘reborn’ in the sense that she emerged from the fire a stronger person--a leader whom the Dothraki would follow.

But how does Dany’s story match up with Salladhor’s? Well, one suggestion has been that her dragons are actually Lightbringer, because they can produce fire. This makes a great amount of sense. Like Azor Ahai, Dany tried three times to make her weapon--once while putting them on a brazier (GoT, pg. 593), once while coming out of her fevered nightmares (GoT, pg. 753-754), and finally succeeding on the third try at Drogo’s pyre. Also, like Azor Ahai, Dany sacrificed her spouse to make her weapon, and drew the weapon out of a fire.

Other people merely think that Lightbringer is still a sword, and perhaps Dany will find it elsewhere, maybne in Asshai or far east.

But the fact remains that, of all the candidates, Dany is the only one who has woken dragons out of stone. Unless another character is going to accomplish the same thing, Dany seems like a safe bet to be Azor Ahai reborn.

Taken from another website. http://www.angelfire...q/azorahai.html

The problem with Danny being AAR is that it's way too obvious. Maybe there is no AAR(This is not WoT) - just some men and women who will lead the fight against the others and these can be anyone.

It seems questionable that the new "Lightbringer" would need to be a red sword at all. A single enchanted sword can only achieve so much on the field; a non-literal "sword" would open the possibility of something more potent. Whatever it is seems likely to involve fire, given the premises of the myth.

The books seem to go to great lengths to draw parallels between the three dragons and the original Lightbringer. Besides the Nissa Nissa similarity, the three forging attempts, and their origin in a ring of fire, the following also reinforce the parallels:

Jon reads this in the Jade Compendium:

“Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks, and its body burst into flame.”

This is extremely similar, nearly identical in the bolded parts, to what happened when Drogon killed a slaver with dragonfire:

“’Drogon,’ she sang out loudly, sweetly, all her fear forgotten. ‘Dracarys.’

A lance of swirling dark flame took Kraznys full in the face. His eyes melted and ran down his cheeks, and the oil in his hair and beard burst so fiercely into fire that for an instant the slaver wore a burning crown twice as tall as his head.”

Comparison of Dragons to flaming swords:

Xaro Xhoan Daxos, in ADWD, states:

“When your dragons were small they were a wonder. Grown, they are death and devastation, a flaming sword above the world.”

Here is an expression of the Idea that a dragon would be a more useful weapon than an enchanted sword (even if you factor out the fakeness of Stannis's sword, the statement is true):

Stannis Baratheon says in ASOS:

“It glimmers prettily, I’ll grant you, but on the Blackwater this magic sword served me no better than common steel. A dragon would have turned that battle. Aegon once stood here as I do, looking down on this table. Do you think we would name him Aegon the Conqueror today if he had not had dragons?”

Behind the ruby glamour Mel is Sheira Seastar and that will be the red star bleeding.

I remember seeing the Mel = Shiera theory and brushing it off...then I noticed that they are both described as having "heart-shaped faces". Not that it's proof or anything, but still interesting.

I'm inclined to agree as I really love this quote but it could be that she looks for Stan is yet he is caught in the blizzard

For those who missed it....

The point about the capital 's' (Snow vs. snow) is that many of us (the readers) probably misread this detail the first time, and mistakenly believed that Melisandre's visions of Stannis were being blocked somehow by the blizzard. The capial 's' shows that this is not the case. It implies a proper noun, i.e. a name, thus it refers to a character whose last name is Snow.

Archived