Arya in this novel - Why doesn't she escape at the right time? SPOILERS

urrutiap

Instead of having her whisper the names of people into that one guy's ear just because she can't stand them or whatever why couldn't Arya just sneak out like a ninja out of that place and just get the hell out? Sure there were soldiers but in that place she was in to work as a cook or whatever isn't there like an underground cellar area where she could find a hole to get through and just escape? She's supposed to be this smart and tough tomboy where she goes around finding secret hiding places so she can get used to them so why didnt she just escape that place the first chance she had?

I suppose a lot of things come into account for this. One, she has Gendry and she wouldn't want to leave him behind, he would definitely cause complications on the trying to get out front. She's also aware that out there there's a war going on and the possibility that she might run into the wrong side could possibly get her killed or if she were found out by any Lord or Lady that she had met previously at Winterfell, that has sided with the Lannisters, it would mean a whole lot worse than carrying messages for people in Harrenhal. And lastly you have to remember that George R.R. Martin is still trying to maintain that Arya is still a child, she's scared even if she is tough and stubborn at times and the instinct to stay to what she knows is there nevertheless.

I think Arya's clever enough to know that she'd not survive on her own, even if she doesn't say it outright.

I'd also think there might even be a bit of a Stark thing there for her. By that I mean she might think it "honourable" to try and help the others (even Hot Pie), not just herself.

If I was Arya, I would have left Gendry behind at that place and let him try to take care of himself. If she tried dragging him along he would get them both killed or something

No, I think Hot Pie would be a hinderance, not Gendry. You have to remember that Gendry is actually pretty darned clever, but much more restrained and thoughtful than Arya (who, as we know, is very, very impulsive). On top of that, Arya knows he's important but not why, and as an apprentice blacksmith he's a fairly good choice of 'muscle' for her so if any problems occur (such as, say, a small ranging party) she'd have a better chance of surviving.

I thought about this question a bit more last night, and I think I worked out another reason as to why she doesn't escape earlier. I don't think she truly knows where Harrenhal is in relation to other castles/towns. That's why she doesn't even really try to escape until she comes across a certain bit of sheepskin.

Archived