Moments of Foreshadowing 2

Ice Turtle

I've never heard that.

What do you mean exactly? You mean the baby switch Jon pulled (even though I don't think Jon was switched with anyone)? Or do you mean the actual birth? As in they were both born while their father was away at battle, and their mothers died?

I mean that in a way Mance's baby birth will foreshadow the truth about Jon's birth, of course if r+l=j, because all the similarities:

Both mothers died on childbirth or close( we don´t know exactly when Lyanna died)

Their fathers are the leaders of their people: Mance is the leader of the wildings , Rhaegar was the future king and the people love him more than Aerys.

Close to their birth, their fathers loses a major battle ( the trident, the battle for the Wall)

Their mothers's sibilings( Val for Mance jr and Ned for Jon) take care of them when their mothers died. Also, Mance´s baby's aunt and Jon's uncle, were present when their sisters died.

Their wetnurse at some point play the part of their mothers.

When Jon considers accept Stannis offer, he thought in raise Mance´s child because Val wouldn't separate from him. And in the past his uncle Ned didn't separe from him.

And, he also imagine that Mance's child and Gilly´s child could be raise as brothers as Robb and him were raised- Two kids being raise as brothers when they are not.

And, both lose their identity in order to protect them.

I hope you understand, my english is awfull.

His raven sat on his shoulder, feathers ruffled, as soaked and grumpy as the Old Bear himself. A gust of wind sent wet leaves flapping round them like a flock of dead birds. From the Clash.

The raven somehow resembles Joer, in the next sentence there are dead birds mentioned, maybe the represent dead people winds (Others and winter is often associated with winds) that Joer will face at the Fist of the First Men.

I honestly can't be sure if I already read this somewhere here or thought of it myself, but I've a horrible thought considering Garlan the Gallant.

A valiant deed unsung is no less valiant.

Garlan fought heroically in Renly's armor in the Battle of the Blackwater, commanding the Van and killing his opposite in single combat, all offscreen. Garlan is off to the shield islands, with the Sam the nearest POV in the area and obviously unlikely to give us any first hand info. Holding one of the Shield islands for Euron is Harras Harlaw, the man who weilds Nightfall and planted his banner outside the castle and challenged whoever may come to single combat before seven died and they surrendered.

So I'm thinking the quote, as well as being a great line, may be some horrid foreshadowing, that Garlan is destined to do some (more) epic things and all off screen.

The dragons were no larger than the scrawny cats she had once seen skulking along the walls of Magister Illyrio's estate in Pentos

Arya, described as skinny, takes on the pseudonym of Cat when she joins the Faceless Men, as well as becoming associated with cats, and we may see her in Pentos by TWoW.

There's also the rather nasty fate of Chett. As the keeper of a pack of dogs and the son of a leechman, who dreamed of becoming a lord or even a king, Chett sounds like he could very easily be meant to foreshadow Ramsay's ultimate fate:

Given what happened to Jon in his final ADWD chapter, "the bloody snow" taking everything from "the leechman's son" sounds like a strong hint that Jon will take everything from Ramsay. Right now, Ramsay's lost his wife (Jeyne Poole), he's about to lose "his" keep (Winterfell), and he'll have neither a lord's life (there's no way he'll succeed Roose as Lord Bolton) nor a crown (neither of the Boltons, especially not Ramsay, will ever have the chance to try and become King in the North). And given the constantly repeated idea of Jon as a wildling, Chett's thought that he'll have "a wildling's sword in his belly" could hint that Jon will kill Ramsay by stabbing him in the stomach.

I'm curious what the present-day analogue to the tale of "Mad Axe" will end up being. Mad-Axe "had been a big man" and had "butcher[ed] his brothers in the dark" at the Nightfort. During that butchery, he

The story of a large man silently butchering people in the dark could foreshadow our silent giant, Ser Robert Strong, going on a rampage in the Red Keep (perhaps he'll kill his "brothers" in the Kingsguard, just as Mad Axe killed his brothers in the Watch?). The tale of Mad Axe might also contain hints as to Areo Hotah's future, as Hotah is a large, silent man whose favorite weapon (as we've been told over and over again) is an axe.

Great connection with Ramsay, as always just in awe of the connections you find in these books.

I've been thinking for a while we're going to have a new tale of horror from the Nightfort, with Selyse planning on moving in soon what about Patchface as the modern Mad Axe. I can't recall any talk of his size but the noise he makes is a common theme whenever he's mentioned. Perhaps he'll take off his bells one night and go creeping through the halls.

Though Mel seeing the blood on his lips might mean he has a different fate.

"but before I am done with her [sansa], I promise you, she will be singing to the Stranger, begging for his kiss."-Cersei

Sandor's horse is called Stranger, and Sansa has sung to Sandor once, and I think they will come together again and Sansa may sing to him again when they meet up, and ask for a kiss

The Elder brother says 6 of Rhaegar's rubies have washed up on the Quiet Isle, that they're still waiting for the seventh. The Stranger is always referred to as the last aspect of the faith, the seventh.

What do you take it as? That Rhaegar's legacy is not completely dead? :cool4:

"but before I am done with her [sansa], I promise you, she will be singing to the Stranger, begging for his kiss."-Cersei

Sandor's horse is called Stranger, and Sansa has sung to Sandor once, and I think they will come together again and Sansa may sing to him again when they meet up, and ask for a kiss

I'd also add that Sandor has many scenes where he is hidden in the shadows and darkness, reminiscent of the Stranger. Good catch!

I'd also add that Sandor has many scenes where he is hidden in the shadows and darkness, reminiscent of the Stranger. Good catch!

Remember her dream on the Fingers, where he's only identified by his scar and raspy voice, and specifically not named? Very "stranger-like" in my view :)

I was rereading GOT when a dream of Jon hit me as a foreshadowing. This dream takes place right after Jon took his vow as a member of NW.

" Last night he had dreamed the winterfell dream again. He was wandering the empty castle, searching for his father, descending into the crypts. Only this time the dream had gone further than before. In the dark he'd heard the scrape of stone on stone. When he turned he saw that the vaults were opening, one after the other. As the dead kings came stumbling from their cold black graves....."

This might mean Jon have to wake the dead king to fight against the Other. And also in all through GOT jon kept dreaming about the crypt searching for his father, i believe he will find that information in Lyanna's grave, it might possibly be a Targaryen cloak which Rhaegar gave to her on the wedding.

A lot of people think the king beyond the wall, Mance, is hiding in the crypt of Winterfell. Remember how persistent the spearwife was about finding out where it was? Why else? Jon was planning to head there. That's only one king though, obviously, and it's not his own grave.

i dont know if thats foreshadowing or just me paraphrasing to much, but when arya enters the house of b&w:

"When first entering the House, Arya Stark noted the statue of a man with a lion's head seated on the throne, carved on ebony."

i know its supposed to be the "Lion of Night", but it reminds me of the red wedding and the ebony thing dany sits on at meereen. Maybe a stark loyalist cutting off tommens head and sewing on one of his cats heads?

She had to look straight up to see the Titan’s head. “The Braavosi feed him on the juicy pink flesh of little highborn girls,” she heard Old Nan say again..

I've never thought much of this, but again and again people points out that the sigil of house Baelish is Titan of Braavos, so Old Nan might have been right, because Titan who eats little highborn girls is Littlefinger who is a sexual predator and has hands in human trafficking including highborn girls - Jeyne Poole.

Or it could be that someone in Braavos will betray Arya to Littlefinger, or that Littlefinger have connections related to prostitution in Braavos.

Or only that there is something sinister behind success of Braavos, I doubt that reality of courtesans is all silks and songs.

"I loved a maid as red as autumn with sunset in her hair." (Sansa, she has auburn hair).

"I loved a maid as white as winter, with moonglow in her hair." (Val)

"I loved a maid as fair as summer with sunlight in her hair" (Cersei)

I can analyze it this way:

Cersei the Summer Queen

Sansa the Autumn Queen, she was Queen of love and beauty at the Tourney of the Hand

Val the Winter Queen: Her sister was a queen why not her.

Wylla Manderly comes to mind with her green hair for spring... Although I can't help seeing Margaery as a Spring Queen...

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Mance's conversation w/ Jon in ASoS foreshadows his exploits in Winterfell in ADwD.

ASoS Mance

“Bael the Bard,” said Jon, remembering the tale that Ygritte had told him in the Frostfangs, the night he’d almost killed her.

“Would that I were. I will not deny that Bael’s exploit inspired mine own... but I did not steal either of your sisters that I recall. Bael wrote his own songs, and lived them. I only sing the songs that better men have made. More mead?”

Foreshadowing his appearance as Abel, and the fact that it would be Theon who would escape w/ a fake Arya Stark.

Romance time. Old Nan told the Stark kids the tale of Florian and Jonquil. Will Old Nan be in the next Dunk and Egg story, She-Wolves of Winterfell? The first story, The Hedge Knight, centered on a Florian and Jonquil puppet show, where Dunk (he calls himself "the lunk", like Florian the "fool") came to the rescue of Tanselle (the Jonquil puppetmaster). He despairs at one point that there are no true knights ("ARE THERE NO TRUE KNIGHTS AMONG YOU?")

Jon remembers Nan telling the story in AGOT:

Part of him wanted nothing so much as to hear Bran laugh again, to sup on one of Gage’s beef-and-bacon pies, to listen to Old Nan tell her tales of the children of the forest and Florian the Fool.

It's Sansa's favorite story, and she tries on several Florians. Number 1, Joffrey, in AGOT:

“I love him, Father, I truly truly do, I love him as much as Queen Naerys loved Prince Aemon the Dragonknight, as much as Jonquil loved Ser Florian.”

Number 2, Dontos, in ACOK:

Help me, she prayed, send me a friend, a true knight to champion me...

Home, she thought, home, he is going to take me home, he’ll keep me safe, my Florian. The songs about Florian and Jonquil were her very favorites.

She goes from mistakenly thinking this to literally running quite forcefully right into Sandor (she "caromed into him and lost her balance") in the next paragraph. Number 3, Sandor (there's speculation he may be a descendant of Dunk, and he thinks there are no "true knights", mostly thanks Gregor, who burned his face when he was playing with a toy knight, then was knighted):

“Go on. Sing to me. Some song about knights and fair maids. You like knights, don’t you?”

Turns out he likes the Florian and Jonquil story, too, as they go back and forth with several of these exchanges throughout ACOK. Later, he is a true knight when he rescues her from the mob. And finally, before he leaves her:

“You promised me a song, little bird. Have you forgotten?… I’ll have that song. Florian and Jonquil, you said.”

Then she thinks/dreams about him and the song in ASOS and AFFC, and he remembers her singing for him in ASOS, too.

And there are a couple of other Florian and Jonquil moments, too, one with Jaime and Brienne (there's speculation she may be a descendant of Dunk, too) in ASOS. This time, Jaime is doing the singing:

The pool from which the town took its name, where legend said that Florian the Fool had first glimpsed Jonquil bathing with her sisters, was so choked with rotting corpses that the water had turned into a murky grey-green soup. Jaime took one look and burst into song. “Six maids there were in a spring-fed pool . . .”

“What are you doing?” Brienne demanded.

“Singing. ‘Six Maids in a Pool’”…

He also thinks there are no "true knights" (“True knights see worse every time they ride to war, wench. And do worse, yes.”) And he has certainly not been one himself. Then later, he finally becomes a true knight and rescues her, too:

“Her name is Brienne,” Jaime said. “Brienne, the maid of Tarth. You are still maiden, I hope?”

Her broad homely face turned red. “Yes.”

“Oh, good,” Jaime said. “I only rescue maidens.”

And in ADWD, Tyrion hits too close to home, calling Jorah, lovesick for Dany, Florian:

“You hope to buy your way back into her favor by presenting her with me. An ill-considered scheme, I’d say. One might even say an act of drunken desperation. Perhaps if I were Jaime … but Jaime killed her father, I only killed my own. You think Daenerys will execute me and pardon you, but the reverse is just as likely. Maybe you should hop up on that pig, Ser Jorah. Put on a suit of iron motley, like Florian the—”

The blow the big knight gave him cracked his head around and knocked him sideways, so hard that his head bounced off the deck.

Archived