Moments of Foreshadowing 2

Ice Turtle

Ship names seem to be replete with foreshadowing, especially in the Blackwater battle.

Okay, here's one I thought of that seems related.

Sansa Stark may have inadvertently made a prophetic statement here:

"I had a dream that Joffrey would be the one to take the white hart," she said. It had been more of a wish, actually, but it sounded better to call it a dream. Everyone knew that dreams were prophetic. White harts were supposed to be very magical, and in her heart she knew her gallant prince was worthier than his drunken father.

The White Hart was a ship in the fleet of the Iron Throne, and had planned to go over to Stannis, but when Varys found out, it was taken by those loyal to Joffrey before this could happen. The ship went into the Battle of Blackwater on Joffrey's side.

Exactly my thinking. Thistle fought, but she was awake, wasn't she?

If you're asleep your mind defenses would be low, and it would be easy for a powerful skinchanger to take over you, wouldn't it?

I think there must be a reason possessing another human being is such a taboo even beyond the Wall.

I just remembered how Jon couldn't 'sense' Ghost when Jon was back on this side of the Wall, and Ghost was still beyond.

I think the Weirwood Gate allows magic from beyond the Wall to 'leek' through, or lets off psycho vibes, as you say :D

All I know is that I can hardly wait for Selyse to move in there. :D Although for the sake of my sleep, I hope we won't get to see Patchface with an axe.

I think the skinchanger's taboos/rules of behavior serve the same purpose as the taboos/rules of behavior of the Faceless Men, they are meant to restrain these people with special powers so that the general populace will tolerate their presence in society. There's no inherent morality in the skinchangers rules, they just know that normal people would grab their pitchforks and light the torches if they knew their next door neighbor practiced bestiality and cannibalism and could borrow anyone's body at any time.

People call Bran immoral for warging Hodor, but he's never been told he shouldn't do so. In addition when the wights attacked his warging of Hodor saved both their lives and possibly the lives of their companions, so having this one good result has probably kept him from considering the problems in human skin changing.

People call Bran immoral for warging Hodor, but he's never been told he shouldn't do so. In addition when the wights attacked his warging of Hodor saved both their lives and possibly the lives of their companions, so having this one good result has probably kept him from considering the problems in human skin changing.

Kind of unsure about this. Do you need to be told that hurting people is bad? Shouldn't the fact that Hodor really, really doesn't like it when Bran wargs him be enough of a clue that what he's doing is wronG?

A description of Craster's keep: an open gate flanked by a pair of animal skulls on high poles: a bear to one side, a ram to the other.

This foreshadows LC Mormont's death

Sandor to Arya: "Maybe Lady Lysa will marry you to her little Robert."

Arya may marry Gendry, a younger version of his father, or a "little Robert" so to speak

A description of Craster's keep: an open gate flanked by a pair of animal skulls on high poles: a bear to one side, a ram to the other.

This foreshadows LC Mormont's death as well as Vargo Hoat's, the Goat

Sandor to Arya: "Maybe Lady Lysa will marry you to her little Robert."

Arya may marry Gendry, a younger version of his father, or a "little Robert" so to speak

I get the Arya and Mormont things, but a ram is a sheep, not a goat. ;)

Kind of unsure about this. Do you need to be told that hurting people is bad? Shouldn't the fact that Hodor really, really doesn't like it when Bran wargs him be enough of a clue that what he's doing is wronG?

Kids do an awful lot of things that other kids really don't like without getting a clue -- or caring -- that what they're doing is wrong. They need to be taught basic human decency as much as they need to be taught manners, never mind professional codes of conduct, as it were.

Bran's situation is complicated: he's a young lord with a servant that he's been using as a beast of burden for some time. Then Bran discovered that he has the awesome power to "ride" Hodor in a way that makes him feel whole and strong. Hodor, on the other hand, doesn't fight back; he does what a good servant should and gets out of the way so his lord can do what he wants. Because Hodor can't put up a fight, and Bran doesn't know any better, the skinchanging will continue until someone or something stops it.

This may be nitpicking, but I don't think someone can be called "immoral" until he knows there's a moral code and he consciously flouts it. Amoral, perhaps?

This may be nothing but I thought I'd run it by everyone here, see what you think. In Jon's first POV chapter in AGoT when we first see Benjen, he's sitting down with Jon and from all the choice food laid out on the table he picks up an onion:

A connection to Davos in the future? Will Davos find Benjen?

does anyone have an opinion on this? I think it's probably more likely that benjen is dead, but yeah, what if he's in skagos for some reason? I like that onion tidbit. makes me a tiny bit hopeful for benjen. I want more starks to be alive...

does anyone have an opinion on this? I think it's probably more likely that benjen is dead, but yeah, what if he's in skagos for some reason? I like that onion tidbit. makes me a tiny bit hopeful for benjen. I want more starks to be alive...

I'm more inclined to think it's nothing. I mean, onions are a pretty common food, and the scene is, how to put it, very casual in nature for it to be foreshadowing, I mean there is no foreshadowing in each and every meal.

This being said, the Davos-Rickon connection, and Benjen - missing, could have something to do with each other, but we will only be able to pick on it in hindsight, when something happens (or doesn't).

I would be like, Wow, it was foreshadowing in the end, but for now I'm more inclined to think it's nothing.

I don't know if anyone's found this yet, but what about this gem from ASOS?

Aemon Targaryen, Jon thought, a king's son and a king's brother and a king who might have been

And just further down on the same page

"Still," Slynt said [to Jon], "I will not have it said that Janos Slynt hanged a man unjustly."

Oh, the irony.

I think it crossed into immoral territory when Bran knew Hodor hated it and did it anyway.

I agree. I like Bran, and his adventures were very fun to read, and very sad at the same time.

I was fine with him warging Hodor to save their lives. I wasn't fine with him warging Hodor just to roam the caves-that's selfishness.

But when I look back, all the things Bran thought in Clash of Kings[about the Walders and Rickon playing "Lord of the Crossing" and how he could be better than any of them] I put down to Bran being bitter about his situation, but I think there might be more.

Bran is surrounded by capable people who most often have to take care of him. That's got to raise some bitterness inside him, even envy.

I just hope we're not going to see an Anakin like turn of events for Bran.

There are 2 things that made me fear most for Bran's future:

1. Warging Hodor for fun and not telling anybody, not even Bloodraven, knowing Hodor doesn't like-acting as the Master, treating Hodor like some simple creature whose feelings don't matter

2. The paste of weirwood seeds-will Bran stay in the caves as a half-tree? And what about the taste? At first he doesn't like it, but at the end he almost wants more-if that's not foreshadowing of Bran getting drunk on power, I don't know what is.

Afterthought:

While on the road, Bran and company often ate paste made of acorns-or something similar, and Bran later eats weirwood paste. Arya did the same through Clash. Could this foreshadow that Arya will eat weirwood paste later in the books? or something similar?

2. The paste of weirwood seeds-will Bran stay in the caves as a half-tree? And what about the taste? At first he doesn't like it, but at the end he almost wants more-if that's not foreshadowing of Bran getting drunk on power, I don't know what is.

He doesn't want more; we get to see how paste is similar to night shade,at first is unpleasant but the taste is reflective of Bran's joyful,happy experinces. Paste is given to him to awake his powers,that's it

From a chapter where Arya is travelling with the BWB:

"Aye," Harwin said. "One of our lads keeps the meanest dogs you'd ever want to see."

"I wish I had a good mean dog," said Arya wistfully. "A lion-killing dog."

Soon after this, the BWB capture The Hound, who of course travels with Arya later, and even kills some Lannister men with her.

As well, House Clegane got its start when the dogs of Casterly Rock's kennel master saved the lord from a lion.

"There are dangers at sea as well. Corsairs and pirates hunt the southern route, and north of Valyria the Smoking Sea is demon-haunted. The next storm could sink or scatter us, a kraken could pull us under . . . "

These are all things that Ser Jorah mentions are dangers in ASoS Dany I. These dangers may turn out to be aids instead.

Corsairs and pirates along the southern route are currently under the dominion of a corsair king, who may be Gerion Lannister, and I think he will aid his nephew, Tyrion, and with him Dany.

The kraken, Victarion Greyjoy, is coming to aid Dany.

The next storm, with "Storm" being a bastard name, they come upon will probably be Edric Storm in Lys where they stop before reaching Westeros.

The demon they come upon, the "twisted monkey demon", Tyrion, is already siding with Dany. Or it could be a reference to Jorah given the demon mask tattoo as a slave.

Archived