Roberts Bastards

The WarHammer

Why is Gendry never named with a bastard name? like snow or stone. He is always just Gendry, or the bastard.

He is from KL so he would be Gendry Hill right, but no one ever calls him that.

Nobody knows that he is Robert's son, not even Gendry himself. Gendry is just a fatherless bastard, therefore he has no name.

I don't think Gendry's mother would have dared giving her son a bastard name, that name must come from the noble parent - or, at least, with knowledge of the noble parent. Robert either didn't know, or he knew and didn't bother acknowledging his son by naming him his bastard. Or Robert doubted his paternity. Just because Robert sired a lot of bastards doesn't mean that he is the father of every child ever claimed to be his. Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella, are proof of that, in a way.

Only Brienne saw the likeness, and tried to tell Gendry. But I doubt that would be enough to justify Gendry taking a bastard name for himself. It would just make him angry.

As for Mya Stone, I think she knows that King Robert is her father. I think she has trouble connecting this knowledge with her childhood memories of a tall man playing with her. Which would be the only memories she has of Robert, king or father, because he later lost any interest in his offspring.

I like the idea of Stannis legitimizing all of Bob's bastards before he dies as a kind of Blackfyre parallel. There has to be something to the immense amount of fucking Bob did an that's the only way I can see GRRM making use of all 16.

The only way this would happen is if Shireen dies as well

Only if he was recognized, and then it would be Rivers. Hill is a Reach name.

Rivers is for the Riverlands

Hill is for the Westerlands

Flowers is for the Reach

Waters is the most prominent bastard name King's Landing, although there are more.

Only if Stannis doesn't give a shit about the male line being extinguished. Which I don't see happening, as much as Stannis loathes Robert. As for Shireen, I think her not being long for the world is a given, what with that whole exchange between Val and Jon.

Here's a question; anyone think Tywin has any bastards? And if so, given the state of male succession in House Lannister before his death, any chance of a secret document legitimizing a male heir? Sure, he was obsessed with self image, but it's clear he wasn't the man he was reputed to be, and he may have been desperate enough at the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody knows that he is Robert's son, not even Gendry himself. Gendry is just a fatherless bastard, therefore he has no name.

I don't think Gendry's mother would have dared giving her son a bastard name, that name must come from the noble parent - or, at least, with knowledge of the noble parent. Robert either didn't know, or he knew and didn't bother acknowledging his son by naming him his bastard. Or Robert doubted his paternity. Just because Robert sired a lot of bastards doesn't mean that he is the father of every child ever claimed to be his. Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella, are proof of that, in a way.

Only Brienne saw the likeness, and tried to tell Gendry. But I doubt that would be enough to justify Gendry taking a bastard name for himself. It would just make him angry.

As for Mya Stone, I think she knows that King Robert is her father. I think she has trouble connecting this knowledge with her childhood memories of a tall man playing with her. Which would be the only memories she has of Robert, king or father, because he later lost any interest in his offspring.

Ned say that the boy look like Robert also and was his son

I like the idea of Stannis legitimizing all of Bob's bastards before he dies as a kind of Blackfyre parallel. There has to be something to the immense amount of fucking Bob did an that's the only way I can see GRRM making use of all 16.

There's a reason why that king was called the Unworthy, and Stannis is anything but that. Besides, the Blackfyre rebellion was led by the Great Bastards - all of them from noble mothers. And the only one of Bob's who fits that description is Edric Storm. The others are baseborn.

Ned say that the boy look like Robert also and was his son

Stannis knows as well, varys knows,Jaime will probably be in a place to see the resemblence soon, Jon Aryn knew, littlefinger probably knows, pycell might have known, but I think the point is it could NEVER be proven now that Robert is dead.

Stannis knows as well, varys knows,Jaime will probably be in a place to see the resemblence soon, Jon Aryn knew, littlefinger probably knows, pycell might have known, but I think the point is it could NEVER be proven now that Robert is dead.

You have a good point it might be hard but if he starts really kickin ass and takin names like his dad (and has the size and attatude) people will see it

• 2 months later...

I think Gendry will reforge ICE from the two swords oathbreaker and I don´t remember the other swrd name. I think that will be his main attribution to the story, perhaps get married to Arya if both of them are still alive at the end of the story which I pretty much doubt it.

Here's a question; anyone think Tywin has any bastards? And if so, given the state of male succession in House Lannister before his death, any chance of a secret document legitimizing a male heir? Sure, he was obsessed with self image, but it's clear he wasn't the man he was reputed to be, and he may have been desperate enough at the end.

Tyrek Lannister is Tywin's legitimized bastrad and named his heir in his will that's why Varys has him hidden away till he can join him to Aegon. Tywins brother was already dead when he got his sister in law knocked up.

There are many people who seem to know including Stannis.

She's in big trouble.

I think Stannis will fall, and the other bastards are not in a place of action. I find it likely that Gendry could meet up with Stannis' army and be the only Baratheon blood left to call the banners. Stannis last wish type of thing "Call for the bastard Gendry.." "Gendry you are the son of Robert Baratheon, take the iron throne in my name" Beast

While the fandom prefers Gendry he sufers from not have been acknowledged while Robert was as alive as Edric was.

Something that readers need to keep in mind is the MASSIVE MASSIVE predjudice against bastards. Most readers dont have this pedjudice and having been raised on fantasy tropes where the secret bastard becomes the hero have no problem with Gendry. However there ae massive religious and social biases agianst bastards - having bad blood, being low born or having unnatural desires.

I dont see how Gendry can be a major player unless there is a major social upheaval. not just a political one.

Thanks, King Zee. Not only does he suffer from not being acknowledged by Robert Baratheon, he suffers from being baseborn. Edric at least is nobleborn.

And let's not forget: Stannis raised Edric as his own, with his own daughter. If Stannis starts looking for an heir among his brother's get, he'd call for Edric. And he does not consider it - Shireen is his heir, male line be damned.

Gendry is on his own, which is just as well. Gendry may make a great warrior but he'd make a worse king than Robert Baratheon. Gendry is too much like Robert to make a good king.

Gendry is too much like Robert to make a good king.

Can you elaborate on that? For whatever reason, Gendry to me is the one character who I recall more detail from the TV version than the book version. Is there anything you (or anybody reading this) can state from the books that we know about Gendry posessing Robert's "bad" qualities...? TY.

Archived