South Jersey/Philly meetup: PhilCon Nov 9 -11(Cherry Hill, NJ)

Not sure how many of us there are in the area. If anyone is interested in getting together you're welcome to join me here in NJ at either of my favorite spots: the Blue Monkey Tavern in Merchantville or Iron Hill Brewery in Maple Shade. Or if anyone from the other side of the river has suggestions for Philly I'm open to that, too.

As far as times/dates/etc I'm fairly open.

Hope to raise a pint with you soon!

ETA: Some of us are planning to attend PhilCon in November. Here's the link to their website:

http://2012.philcon.org/

If you're coming, please let me know. I'll keep a running list of attendees.

Confirmed:

Ser Lany Cassandra +1

the maid of woodlynne

I'd love to join you if you plan a weekend meetup. Any place I can get to on the train wouls be great. (Philly is easy, so any place connected to there would also be great)

Husband is going to Chiller in north NJ in October, so I figure I get a weekend away as well. ;)

Lany - I'm a couple of blocks from the speed line, so if you take the train into Philly I'm sure I can figure out how to get you over here and I'll pick you up from your connection and get you to the meetup.

Or we'll just do something in Philly. :)

Lany I'll find out of there are still tix available (I doubt it is sold out yet).

5-10pm, $35.

We'll need to work on accommodations for you - I have someone staying here afterwards but I may be able to stash him with someone else if you need a place to stay.

Is anyone else interested in meeting up at the beer festival?

Yeah, there are a few of us in Philly. I could see about getting the old band back together.

That would be pretty awesome. Had a good time last time I was in Philly with you guys.

Lany I'll find out of there are still tix available (I doubt it is sold out yet).

5-10pm, $35.

We'll need to work on accommodations for you - I have someone staying here afterwards but I may be able to stash him with someone else if you need a place to stay.

Is anyone else interested in meeting up at the beer festival?

I can do a reasonable hotel. I don't mind beer festivals if they have other things going on too (most have non-drinker rates)

Honestly, if all they have is the beer, maybe something else would be a better. I can't be the only non-beer drinker in the group.

If nothing else is avaliable, I will be happy with good company :) (of that is what everybody else wants, that's cool with me. I am pretty easy)

I'm going there tomorrow and will get an answer about the non-drinker rate.

But yeah, Lany the 29th might not be the best one for you to come up for. I'm sure we can pick a Saturday that works and meet up for lunch/dinner and drinks. I just mentioned it bc I know I'll be there.

Anyone else have ideas or suggestions?

I've attened several Philcons. It is essentially a regional version of a worldcon with similar events, inluding a bunch of panels, masquerade, Guests of honor (for literary called "principal speaker"), parties, concerts, filking, gaming, anime, etc. Philcon is run by the same organization that ran Worldcon in 2001. Like most cons the program is typically not available until shortly before the con. My estimate is that attendance has been somewhere around 500 to 800 members. It's held in Cherry Hill, NJ a few miles east of Philadelphia primarily to keep the cost down versus an equivalent conference hotel in the city. There is a NJT Transit train from Philadelphia to Atlantic City that has a station stop not far from the con so can get there without a car if desired. Plenty of free parking at the hotel also.

Archived