WorldCon Reports

Perhaps I said this in the wrong forum, but I wanted to say it was awesome to meet so many of you from the BWB. Especially Jo. My goodness. That gift you gave me was *amazing*. Also thank you guys, for hosting a party that provided me the chance to meet one of my favorite authors, Mr. GRRM himself. That was one of the highlights of the con for me.

For those of you mentioning Barfleet and Klingons, usually the two are mutually exclusive. I was rather shocked not to see any of the local Klingons represented as well, but as it turns out, they are saving for WindyCon, and DellaCon(the relax-a-con event at the Wisconsin Dells resort, and is fairly pricey).

Locally the Klingons are usually in competition with Barfleet for parties, and rarely, if ever, on the winning side of the competition. As everyone seen, when Barfleet throws down the gauntlet, we throw it down in a pretty impressive manner. I hope to see many of you, if not all of you, and many more next year in San Antonio, and in London the year after.

I want to say I totally intended to go to the Barfleet party, but for the first time ever I was unable to actually drag myself away from the BwB parties. By the time I did, the other parties were dying, it being well after 2am. The BwB parties were really that awesome.

It took us two years to form this event. We're going to try and attend San Antonio like we did for ChiCon7, but we'll see. I know I have seen several members talking about going to SA, and have seen many people saying they have intentions on going to London, come hell or high water. Neither Convention may have a full on Fleet party, but we'll see what happens. Who knows, we may kick our slack fields to 11 and hit up everyone else's parties.

We'll see, but at the very least you can be sure there will be at least 1 member of Fleet.

Thoughts on ChiCon:

As far as parties went, it was great to see the Barfleet throw such a good one. BwB parties are great as an upgrade of the usual WorldCon party (more people, bigger bar, raffle, etc...) but it's not often I've seen a real alternative, like a rockin dance party. I found myself hopping between the two of ours, and ignoring most of the rest.

Seeing old friends and meeting new (sometimes doing both simultaneously, eh Mouse? :P) was great. I still wish every week was Con week. A great mix of relaxing, getting drunk and throwing citrus fruit, and talking shop. So many cool BwB that I didn't get a chance to talk at length to everyone, so I'll have to snap out of my board lurking phase, in addition to making plans for Texas next year.

The Con itself was pretty good. I found myself going to more panels than usual, and it was mostly convenient. The lines for George's reading and the Hugos were slightly annoying, but most lines are. The room for his interview was too small, but otherwise space wasn't a huge issue. Thanks to whoever (Katie?) introduced me to the service elevator early on--it was worth risking getting booted from my room and having to share a bed with Lodey (I'm big spoon) to not have to deal with the long waits.

I found myself a little disappointed, oddly enough, at the lack of chaos. Everything was so organized and went so smoothly that I don't have many crazy stories to tell (aside from the harassment incident that I won't get into yet, but that's not a funny one). Is it too much to ask to get ONE masturbating Jedi or kilted ventriloquist at a BwB party?

Barfleet was a lot of fun. I did expect to see some Klingons but instead it was a raging dance party with very good music. Saturday night was also my favorite night since our party was tremendous and Barfleet was a lot of fun.

Random memories? I brought a beer hugger/koozie/whatever-you-call-them-in-your-area that I hid my Lite beer in. Two people asked what it was: Pod and Peadar (The Bladder). Apparently this is a technology that is unavailable in Ireland. I was assured by the Aussies that they have them in Australia else their beer would turn piss warm very quickly!

11 years ago I was told by Lodey that we'd be rooming one night with Padraig from Ireland. I envisioned a big, bearded, two-fisted drinking Irishman. Instead we got quiet, sweet, lovable Pod. Fast forward to Chicago where I met Ser Camaris. I had envisioned Pod 2.0 instead we got a big, bearded, two-fisted drinking Aussie. :lol

We ran into some "interesting" people. The Loomer who hovered over you and stared very creepily. Terrell Suggs, a gal built like a linebacker and just as aggressive. And Lancel, an odd guy with long blonde hair and crazy eyes who made absolutely no sense. You just had to nod politely.

We got to meet some great people from the Tower of the Hand site! Lodey snores like a thunderstorm. Mouse's baby is ADORABLE. Chats rocked the catsuit and Smegma rocked the red dress. I partied hardy with Jo, Raya, and Tyler. Ser Scot and Ithanos are the hardest working men in show business. Hedgerow WILL kick your ass if you mess with her! The X's were awesome, as were Fenryng and Regina. Rocked Barfleet with The Red Woman and Boiled Leather. Frisco and I talked about our mutual addiction: Lord of the Rings Online. Lacy and I discussed The Legend of Korra. Yags and Dracarys nearly killed many of us with that Master at Arms shot. It cleared my sinuses, numbed my face, and cleansed me of any and all maladies. Lady N. missed her tape but made do. Jetboygirl and others are gonna get YA added to the Hugos!

It was great to see Mountain Goat, Neal, Arlington Bill and wife again. Never did see that Race guy. And it was great to finally meet Mormont (had great talks with him), Angalin, ItIsKnown, Adz of CCCA, Malt, Alguien (My Chicago buddy), Beniowa, Jebus, Sophelia, Alytha. And last but not least, my fellow Sherpas, Stubby and his lovely wife! Anyone I missed (did I meet Space Bandito?!?) may kick my ass at the next con!

I went to the first part of GRRM's interview with Mo Ryan, then decided I wasn't interested in how the books had made the moderator (Peter something?) feel and left to get coffee with Regina. To be fair, he might not have been that bad, but we'd just come out of the business meeting and our patience was low. What I did hear was fairly standard GRRM interview answers, nothing really new.

For those who care about Doom movies, they were filming Doom 3 on Navy Pier on Wednesday evening.

Oh! I do have one scoop. I spoke to George briefly on Saturday night (thank you, mouse, for introducing us, and I was glad to get the chance to chat with you briefly earlier :) ) and asked why he'd chosen The Owl Service to represent Alan Garner in THK graphic novel. He said it was because, instead of a magic sword, Garner had used magic dishes.

here is the podcast of Maureen Ryan's interview (Me thinks) with George. http://talkingtvwithryanandryan.libsyn.com/webpage/talking-tv-with-ryan-and-ryan-episode-12-talking-power-magic-and-storytelling-with-george-r-r-martin

or it might just be related.

Here is Mo's write up. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/04/game-of-thrones-season-3-characters_n_1854918.html?utm_hp_ref=maureen-ryan

She is one of my favorites, my second favorite TV Critic, but by far the loveliest.

I found myself a little disappointed, oddly enough, at the lack of chaos. Everything was so organized and went so smoothly that I don't have many crazy stories to tell (aside from the harassment incident that I won't get into yet, but that's not a funny one). Is it too much to ask to get ONE masturbating Jedi or kilted ventriloquist at a BwB party?

Try being staff my friend LoL. To me it felt anything but smooth running, but that's good I suppose. It means we kept the real chaos separated behind the screens from the bulk of the Convention. This was my first WorldCon, so maybe it's just my big starry eyed effect going on, since it's so much bigger than everything else I have worked and gone to in the past. As a member of Barfleet, I love the fact that you guys enjoyed the party. As a member of Operations/Logistics, I love the fact that you guys had a blast at the Con. I expect to work LoneStarCon3 as well, so here's hoping that it all goes as smoothly as it seemed for everyone on the outside LoL.

I swear the Tickler was at our Party on Saturday. He sat down next to me on the couch with his legs spread wide, rather sweaty and out of breath. I saw him at the Hugo's Sunday night as well.

I got a picture of him and would post it , but Photobucket went down as soon as i got my pics uploaded yesterday and hasn't been back up since. Guess the Con defends itself.

Personally I'm glad that Race guy didn't show up. He seems like a giant douche.

First I want to thank all of you who were in the bar for our goodbyes Monday night. I was giving everyone big emo hugs, got increasingly verklempt, and ended in outright tears. None of you should have to witness even a glimpse of one of my ugly cries! What can I say except that I already miss you, and that I blame Pod?

On a happier note, the reason I was so emotional was that every single one of you helped make this my best WorldCon yet. I'm sure I will think of dozens more of these, but for now special thanks go to:

The Xs--As always, the best roomies ever. Also, their dedication to making sure the bros have an excellent time is a treasure.

Lacy--Breakfast Buddy and all around fabulous person. Can't wait to see her on her home turf next year!

Lady N--Hostess Extrodinaire, who did her self-appointed task of making sure everyone enjoyed her home city with dedication. Also, my dress dare twin!

Mouse--Hero of the BWB for bringing the zombie horde coffee and breakfast to get us through clean up on Sunday morning. Also, has the cutest baby ever.

The Stubbies--For being like family. We need that BWB commune yesterday!

Jo--For, and I put this delicately, making me part of her art project.

JetBoyGirl and Frisco--For encouraging me to go to the business meeting and learn more about the behind the scenes part of WorldCon.

Angalin--For being so lovely and gracious that I immediately felt we had been friends for years.

Ser Scott and Peadar--For making the raffle not just a success, but a lot of fun, too. Also a shout out to Peadar for following through when he declared he would dance for money during his reading. The bargain price of a quarter gave us quite the show!

Boiled Leather and RedWoman--Absolutely excellent dinner companions and all around excellent company.

Ser Cam--My door greeting/ID checking hero, who kept the line moving effortlessly even when the party was most crowded. Also, and I can't stress this enough, one of the nicest and most sincere people I have ever met.

Hedgerow--For making me laugh harder than I have in years.

Lodey--Every WorldCon we have both attended, he somehow manages to treat me to my first drink of the con, and graciously refuses to ever let me return the favor. So I am hereby putting it in writing that I am buying the first round in Texas next year! Also, Lodey is half of the Best Ever Group Hug team.

Drac--The other half of the Best Ever Group Hug team, always there with a friendly shoulder to lean on. Also, makes spectacular moonshine--liquid fire should not go down that easily!

ETA:

Trebla (and Lodey again)--For leading awesome drunken renditions of The Rains of Castamere. Nothing so geeky has ever been so. damn. cool.

DaveAx--For suggesting we sign up for the Hyatt's Gold Club. As he informed us, next WorldCon also is using a Hyatt, so between those two stays we should rack up some cool freebies. ETA: now that I have looked at the Texas website, I'm not sure about the Hyatt thing. http://www.lonestarcon3.org/hotels/index.shtml

We ran into some "interesting" people. The Loomer who hovered over you and stared very creepily. Terrell Suggs, a gal built like a linebacker and just as aggressive. And Lancel, an odd guy with long blonde hair and crazy eyes who made absolutely no sense. You just had to nod politely.

Lancel's outburst was one of the funniest things from the con. Stormie and I were running graveyard shift on the door and he's gone in & out the party about 5 times in half an hour, eventually I say to Stormie 'that guy with the long blond hair, doesn't he look like Lancel?', so we joke a bit about how all he needs is a bit of bumfluff and a little red hat, and stormie says she's going to ask him. Later, the party's all but finished, just a few stragglers including this guy and stormie says to him "do you ever get called Lancel?", "huh?", repeats question, "huh?", "called Lancel?", "huh?", finally we get him to understand that we think he looks like Lancel Lannister; his response "OH MY GOD, NOT THAT AGAIN!! Do you know how many girls won't go out with me because of that? DAMN YOU GEORGE, YOU BLOCKED MY COCK!" All the time he's jumping around like he's juiced up. It was so funny. Especially at 4 in the morning, things always are.

Hello Good Sers and Ladies (and Pod)! I think this will qualify as my 71st post here on this Song of Ice and Fire Thingy....(I have got to figure out how to upload a damn picture to my profile, as this site keeps telling me that everything I try to upload is "too big" - That's what she said! Sorry, can't help it.)

Chicon 7 was a damn fine fiesta if I do say so myself. Since I spend so little time here on the board, I tend to get to know your real names instead of your board names, so many apologies in advance if I do not refer to you in "Board Speak.")

So many wonderful "moments" and impossible to share them all. LOVED LOVED LOVED hanging out with the Aussie Contingent and learning how to speak Aussie slang.

Jebus is an Olympic caliber drinker, an if Drinking were an Olympic sport, he would make Michael Phelps look like a green boy.

Stubby and my "twin" Louise are near and dear to my heart now, and I will miss them tremendously. Hello Hobbits!

Ser Camaris (aka Captain Schmooze): I still do not know why you need three towels, but you are a hoot and half, and I don't care what the rest of your Aussie contingent says, you ARE a classy and smart guy.

Arantius: My new Aussie Sister Soul Mate, I miss you already and am chartreuse with envy that you are in Hawaii right now.

Regina and Master of Coin (Andy): I did not get much chance to talk to you both in Reno, but I had the most wonderful Monday night spending time with you both, and eagerly look forward to seeing you again.

Oh Chataya, my Chataya: classy, smart, sexy and oodles of fun. We will NOT be defeated by the depressed Serbian Hairdresser's lack of joie de vivre!

Lady N: I am a broken record when I thank you yet again for posting all of your "Chicago Info" earlier this year, but all of your advice made the trip so much easier for Boiled Leather and I, as we followed all your advice. You rock, Sistah.

Lacy: I am totally down for the Commune as long as you promise to raise the pigs (mmmm bacon!) As we are FB friends, it was great to hang out after spending a year watching you on FB, and feel like we were instantly caught up. You'd best get Texas all ready and spiffy for us in 2013!

Treb: all I can say is "BARFLEET!" It was quite a party, wasn't it? LOVED partying with you, and singing along to AC/DC.

Mountain Goat: It was great sharing some Chicago barbecue and conversation with you, Good Ser. And, of course, it is always good to see you, as you possess a most pleasant disposition.

The Xs: Any time spent chatting with either one of you is some darn good quality time. And, you knocked it out of the park, I must say. You made it look easy. Well done. Brava and Bravo!

Space Bandito: word on the street is that Darren Sanchez is healthy and ready to start. That's good news, right?

Arlington Bill and the Missus: thanks for hosting the beer tasting party!

Ser Scot: you rocked the raffle ticket sales, Ser. Always good spending time with you. I don't know which gods you angered that caused your umpteen hour delay at O'Hare, but I am so glad to hear you are on the ground in SC.

Steve Spaulding: I will always remember your name from here on in. Even when the Alzheimer's starts to kick in.

Dear Pod: I have no idea why anyone would want to blame you for anything.

Neal and Mapu (sorry guys, I do not know your Board Names): any time I see either of you, regardless of setting, I am always very happy. LOVE hanging out with you guys. Oh, and Mapu, you can stop worrying, as the Sharpie has now worn off!

Alytha: I should have followed your lead and wear a hat on the damn boat tour. My face was barbecued. Oh well. It was most pleasant to be in your company on the tour.

Adz (Claudia): Good chats and good times.

Frisco: We will have to resume our Klingon hunt next year, Good Ser.

Dracarys: I second Regina on the whole "Hug" thing. As the lucky recipient of many of them, I look forward to more. You rocked the bartending duties!

Peadar: I do not exactly remember what it was that you said about the Blarney Stone on Tuesday morning, but all I know is that it made me laugh so hard I almost snorted my yogurt parfait. Well done as the Master of Ceremonies at the Open Party. Oh! And of all the readings I attended, no other author told their audience to "Sod off!" as an opener. Well done, Ser.

Lodey: why the hell do I have to travel to a Con to see you when you live right here in God's Country?

Sophelia and M: what fun dinner companions on Monday evening!

Stormborn: you are truly and genuinely a fun gal. I look forward to see more of you when you travel out to SF at the end of the month.

Apologies to anyone else I missed. I am still recovering, and have many wonderful BwB memories of Chicon 7. Cheers!

Sunday. Oh dear sweet Jesus and Cthulhu, Sunday. Cleanup time came too goddamned early. The four of us hauled our butts up to the suite to meet the cleanup crew. mouse arrived with adorable daughter and life-giving coffee and donuts in tow. I wanted to kiss her right then and there, but decided that I didn't wish to discomfit my savior. Due to our 1337 cleanup skills from the night before, the rest of the cleanup was easy and mostly consisted of moving furniture. Racebannon was still nowhere to be seen. At that point, I conceded defeat. The bastard had lied and never showed up to the con.

Then we headed down to George's reading from the World of Ice and Fire. After that, I guess we just hung around and chatted with people and then took a nap. After dinner, the Hugos. It was the first full Hugo ceremony I have seen, and Scalzi was an excellent host. Seriously, I cannot imagine anyone else in that role. I texted Stego when John Picacio and Game of Thrones won the Hugo, and also when ADWD lost. He proceeded to blow up my phone with his considered opinions.

GRRM was generally gracious about the loss. Picacio ran around hugging everyone. Ron Donachie was beaming. Ty Franck saw me at the same time I saw him, and we both pointed at each other and bellowed "LOSER!!!!" I told Daniel Abraham (in a tux) that he cleaned up nice. I am not sure he was flattered. :lol:

Against all logic and decency, I stayed up until 4am yet again. Got up at 6:30am to pack when Mr. X rolled in. The fucker never even went to bed. And yes, he felt like ASS our entire trip back to NYC. I was too tired to be emo on Monday, but yesterday it hit me with full force: another WC was done. I won't see some of my favorite people for a year. Or two years. Or four. Goddamn, WorldCon is the greatest and most painful time of the year. Five days of feeling right with the world, and then to have to come back to Flatland. Bah. Humbug.

I have already bought my membership to San Antonio and London. I cannot wait to see you all again.

For those who weren't around when I read John's Chesley acceptance speech aloud to the party, here's the part that makes me grin like a very grinny person:

And lastly -- a special shoutout to the Brotherhood Without Banners. Many of them knew me before I illustrated the 2012 calendar. Some of them have become trusted friends since then. I'm grateful to them, and especially to Stego, Mr. X, X-Ray, Lodey, Chataya, Boiled Leather, Red Woman, MuthaHydra, BlackFryre, Yagathai, and Steve Spaulding, to name a few. I can't wait to celebrate this with them, and with you tomorrow night.

We are finally home. Laoise has crashed out, totally knackered. This trip home was epic in length only - no repeats of the dramas from Denver.

I am still emo as fuck and will post something more coherent when I have my shit together.

I haven't had time to type out the epic post that I wanted to do. I had such an awesome time, and it would be totally unfair to single out individuals.

Fortunately, I'm pretty unfair by nature.

Thank you to Malt, for being a patient room-mate and putting up with me stumbling in at 5am when he was sleeping, then bagging the shower first in the morning. Also for selling the shit out of those ribbons, badges and raffle tickets on Saturday night. Nice work!

Lodey, you are not only the founder but the living spirit of the BwB, sir. There is not space to do justice to you. So I won't try.

The Aussies totally blew me away between them. Stubby and Laoise I already knew were terrific, and they ruled once again, but Cam, Neal, Arantius, and stormborne, you guys were a credit to your homeland, and I know that was a sentiment shared by almost everyone I talked to. Stormy in particular, I enjoyed our little stamp-hunting expedition with Jeebus, and Arantius, next time I'm dragging you round the parties before they all close.

To our bar staff, thank you so much. Yags, you had me in stitches several times. And it always has socially redeeming value! Dr JetBoyGirl, it was as ever awesome to spend time with you. But it's been too long! Drac, you were a great date.

Treb, it was so great to meet you, man. Scot, Pod, Alytha, fenryng, Frisco, alguien and ben, terrific conversations with smart people: Chataya, Lacy, Regina, mouse, lady narcissa and Angalin, you all bring us charm and class. Peadar, you are the best MC ever, and the check is in the post. ;)

boiled leather and red woman, arlingzen bill and makotonahabi, such lovely people. DaveAx, so good to see you, and you too are such an indispensable part of the whole BwB experience. Master of Coin, did you know that Faceless Men coins pass through the metal detector undetected? That's kinda badass.

To the Xrays, you guys are incredible. I don't know how you do it.

Who was that Steve guy?

Looking through my photos, I just realized I forgot to mention The Captain and Crew.

See, GRRM, Parris and a bunch of other people associated with Random House went on a cruise of Lake Michigan on Friday evening. And it turns out that The Captain of that vessel was a huge GoT fan, to the point where he fired up the GoT theme song over the PA system during the evening. GRRM, being a man who appreciates a party, invited the The Captain and one of the Crew back to the private BWB party. At first I thought Captain Ben was cosplaying, so I walked up and asked him who he was -- of course he looked at me like I was an idiot, because that's an idiotic question to ask. :lol: Anyway, so props to Captain Ben and his crewmate Allen (I am pretty sure his name was Allen).

Archived