Thanks + 1 Comment and 1 Question

I realize that a good number of people are still in Chicago, but I just wanted to say a big thank you for the outstanding parties! Reno was my first WorldCon, but I still didn't really get it, if that makes sense. This year I had a lot of fun, and it is primarily thanks to the Brotherhood Without Banners. You guys are incredible!

At the party on Saturday, Lodengarl asked me how one would translate the Three-Fisted Baron into Dothraki. I almost had it, but I couldn't remember the word for "fist". I told him I'd look it up and get back to him, but then it occurred to me that I didn't really know how I'd get back to him. I sent a message to @BWBers on Twitter, but in case he's not involved with that Twitter account, I thought I'd post it here. So English, like German, is a language that prefers to pile up its modifiers on the left side of the main noun in a noun phrase (in this case "Baron"). Dothraki does the opposite. As a result, you start with "Baron", for which, of course, there's no Dothraki equivalent, so Khal will serve. Then rather than saying the "Three-Fisted Khal", you say "The Khal of Three Fists". The equivalent of "of" here is ma, which means something more like "with", and that applies to the noun phrase "Three Fists". The preposition ma requires its noun to be put into the ablative case, though, so the word for "fist" himo becomes himoon, and the word for "three" is sen, which gives us: Khal ma Sen Himoon: The Three-Fisted Khal. Hajas, zhey Khal ma Sen Himoon! Dothralates k'athhajari!

Next, I've got one question. While I was there on Saturday (I'm pretty sure it was Saturday [or more like early Sunday]), I was having a conversation with someone and my wife pointed out to me a woman who was wearing an entire outfit like a villager from The Prisoner. I was in the middle of a conversation so I thought I'd just find her later, but when later came, I believe she was gone. Does anyone know who this was? Was it a forum member? I'm a HUGE fan of The Prisoner, and I'm blown away that someone put together a costume so detailed and so obscure—and I'd love to see a full picture! (And also to chat about The Prisoner, which I think is one of the greatest TV shows of all time.)

As a final note, sorry if I violated the etiquette of this subforum by posting a new topic. I wasn't certain if I should add this to an existing thread, and/or if starting new threads was frowned upon. If I should've done it differently, let me know and I'll bear it in mind in future.

The Prisoner is so un-obscure among con-going SF fandom that it's not even funny. ;) Have you seen the London Worldcon video? Bryan Talbot finishes with the finger-circle and "Be seeing you!" (and I agree -- one of the greatest things ever put on TV).

I know Lodey will see the title here. That's pretty cool. :)

Thank you for the kind words! The BWB are always stoked to hear that our parties and presence made someone's con a bit better of an experience. :)

I'll make sure Lodey knows this thread is here. I regret that I wasn't able to corner you on my own Dothraki request. See, I told my colleagues that I wanted to trash-talk Klingons in Dothraki. Sadly, not only were there few Klingons this con, but I wasn't able to ask you for pointers on such an endeavor. But it was great to see you and your lovely wife at the party. You are welcome to drink with us any time!

As for the Prisoner -- I am pretty sure that she was not one of ours. That said, Makotohanabi (who won a blue ribbon at the Masquerade this year YEAH!!!!) might know through the general costuming community.

The Prisoner is so un-obscure among con-going SF fandom that it's not even funny. ;) Have you seen the London Worldcon video? Bryan Talbot finishes with the finger-circle and "Be seeing you!" (and I agree -- one of the greatest things ever put on TV).

I didn't mean to imply that The Prisoner was obscure: Having a detailed costume of a villager (as opposed to like a Number 6 costume) I thought was pretty obscure. Only thing that would've been more specific would be the outfit that McGoohan or his opponent was wearing in that weird trampoline-pool-jousting-karate fight scene. Or a cowboy outfit from "Living in Harmony".

I'll make sure Lodey knows this thread is here. I regret that I wasn't able to corner you on my own Dothraki request. See, I told my colleagues that I wanted to trash-talk Klingons in Dothraki. Sadly, not only were there few Klingons this con, but I wasn't able to ask you for pointers on such an endeavor. But it was great to see you and your lovely wife at the party. You are welcome to drink with us any time!

Hajas! Let's see, trash-talking Klingons...

Yer nemo qemmoe ma vafikhoon ven oqeti, vosma yer azzhonathi vish geroqqe yeroon. Yer eth ma tokik ma chitak!

That's "You cover yourself with wool like a little sheep, and yet you expose your ugly forehead. You must be an idiot and a weakling!" (The word for "weakling" there derives from the word for "shiver".) You could probably keep going from here, but that's a good start.

As for the Prisoner -- I am pretty sure that she was not one of ours. That said, Makotohanabi (who won a blue ribbon at the Masquerade this year YEAH!!!!) might know through the general costuming community.

Grats to Makotohanabi! :D And yeah, if you hear anything, let me know.

The Prisoner was not one of ours, I don't think (as in doesn't have a board name). It's a friend of mine (and Lady With Ink's) named Paula, and she used to pop into our parties at Boskone. I'm blanking on her new last name...I thought I knew it, because her husband is a SciFi writer. I blame booze and Pod.

David-

Although I can't contribute to solving the mystery, I just wanted to add that it was lovely meeting you and your wife on Friday! I hope we have the chance to talk again at future gatherings.

- Christine

(red dress, alas no Prisoner costume)

I didn't mean...

I! I! I! I! I!

Ahem. Should we... be seeing you... at LonCon, it would be the perfect excuse to go a little further and visit Portmeirion, if you haven't already. Alternatively, the Unmutual run some nice walking tours of the London locations, but not at that time of year sadly. I dare say they could help you find the locations under your own steam though, if not make an exception to their timing.

Although I can't contribute to solving the mystery, I just wanted to add that it was lovely meeting you and your wife on Friday! I hope we have the chance to talk again at future gatherings.

DC, I met your lovely wife, but didn't have a chance to talk to you. So glad you made the party!

Most people who meet me and my wife figure out pretty quick that she's the one worth talking to. ;) Great to meet you too, Christine! And always feel free to come straight up to me and introduce yourself if you see me around. I'm like Abed at parties.

I! I! I! I! I!

Ahem. Should we... be seeing you... at LonCon, it would be the perfect excuse to go a little further and visit Portmeirion, if you haven't already. Alternatively, the Unmutual run some nice walking tours of the London locations, but not at that time of year sadly. I dare say they could help you find the locations under your own steam though, if not make an exception to their timing.

You know, I didn't even consider this, but now I have a big reason to go to WorldCon in 2014. That would be awesome. Like hugely awesome. I will consider it.

The woman in the Prisoner costume was indeed my friend Paula. She would like to thank DothrakiCreator for noticing and appreciating her costume, and was disappointed she missed talking to him about the Prisoner.

Oh, well say hi for me! And, yes, I thought her costume was brilliant. Maybe we can find each other at a future con. :)

DC - wow... thank you for the post and for following up on our conversation. Really too cool and I know I probably "I love you bro" 'd you at the party but didn't expect the great explanation of the sentence structure and wording. Really appreciate it, and it was fantastic meeting you this year - thanks for all the great work you do and I think there was a reason the Klingons were absent this year :)

Archived