Frozen water around the God's Eye and the Twins

Azor Ahoy

Ok, so I was checking out a map of Westeros thinking where people will go during TWoW and this thought occurred to me: Water freezes over during the cold of winter, especially the long winters of Westeros.

Two things stand out to me:

1- The God's Eye will freeze over making it possible for anybody to walk across and visit the Isle of Faces.

2- The Twins could be surrounded by ice and open to a right and proper sacking, complete with Frey Pies for everybody.

So... Who will go to the Isle of Faces? And who could sack the Twins? Unless this topic has been done before (I checked far back enough to think it hasn't) this could give us some different things to discuss while we play the WoW waiting game. Thoughts?

Id thought this about the Isle of Faces, didnt consider how vulnerable it would leave the twins though, lets hope they get well and truly mauled

i don't think many freys will be left standing till the end of the series.

majority of northmen and river lords hate them furiously and are just waiting for the opportunity to kill them all.

trident's forks icing over could help in both sacking twins and reclaiming riverrun ;)

i don't think many freys will be left standing till the end of the series.

majority of northmen and river lords hate them furiously and are just waiting for the opportunity to kill them all.

trident's forks icing over could help in both sacking twins and reclaiming riverrun ;)

Yeah but after reclaiming riverrun it will be almost impossible to hold, unless by some clever strategy by the blackfish or someone of that class

Ok, so I was checking out a map of Westeros thinking where people will go during TWoW and this thought occurred to me: Water freezes over during the cold of winter, especially the long winters of Westeros.

Two things stand out to me:

1- The God's Eye will freeze over making it possible for anybody to walk across and visit the Isle of Faces.

2- The Twins could be surrounded by ice and open to a right and proper sacking, complete with Frey Pies for everybody.

So... Who will go to the Isle of Faces? And who could sack the Twins? Unless this topic has been done before (I checked far back enough to think it hasn't) this could give us some different things to discuss while we play the WoW waiting game. Thoughts?

I can see the Isle of Faces becoming more accessible, but I have been hoping to see the Twins get the Harrenhall treatment from Jon Snow on the back of one of the Dragons.

IDHTBIFOM, but are (is?) The Twins described as being surrounded by water? I thought it was two castles on each side of the river. There may have been a moat, but even so, there were still walls protecting it.

I agree with other posters above, that the Twins are more likely to fall 'from within', as the Freys are gradually destroyed during the ongoing fallout from the Red Wedding.

omg i cant wait for the downfall of those sick bastards. :drool:

i also agree with the peeps above, i think they will fall from the inside. or possibly due to someone from the outside messing with their affairs and starting problems. who knows maybe the first people (if sansa does marry that dude from the erie) that sansa will want to attack are the freys to scare the shit out of the rest of westeros that the starks are coming back full throttle for revenge and are pist. ;)

maybe her hubby will want to please her and open up a can of whoop ass on the freys and therefore take the riverlands which is playing host to a lot of stranded wolves ( stark soldiers) therefore adding to their already what was it i believe 20,000 soldiers? sounds a bit not likely but then again you never know...anythings possible in westeros

The Manderly's (sp?) have the most conviction as appears in the last book, but also are the most capable right now. They have the largest force and most available coin for a war out of the willing northern lords. I could see Stannis coordinating with them to destroy the Boltons and then move south, joining forces with the remaining Manderly forces (and perhaps even the appearance of Howland Reed's Crannogmen!) to wipe up the rest of the Bolton supporters before beseiging or straight up sacking the Freys.

as much as i want to see the freys die, i can't help looking at it from a defensive point of view. wouldn't all they have to do is launch a few boulders onto the ice as the armies are advancing and drown large portions of the attacking armies?

Very true, Quash. That would put a stop to any direct attack.

I also just thought that a certain giant pack of wolves led by an enormous she-wolf would be able to cross any frozen rivers and possibly move to the North. I'd LOVE to see Nymeria get some revenge by eating a few hundred Freys or possibly catching up with a fleeing Roose or Ramsay Bolton.

as much as i want to see the freys die, i can't help looking at it from a defensive point of view. wouldn't all they have to do is launch a few boulders onto the ice as the armies are advancing and drown large portions of the attacking armies?

Perhaps, Quash. We also do not know exactly how cold it gets during their winter; we haven't been fully introduced to winter, yet. In the north, though, apparently a seven-day storm creating white-out conditions equates to a "dusting". The ice could get thick enough for smaller attacks while a larger, more distracting force attacks the main gates and receives the Frey's trebuchet fire.

the frey castles i believe are on land. the river runs between the 2 castles. you enter through one castle then cross over bridge into other castle and keep heading south.

I have said it before, there won't be a great big Frey BBQ. A few will die here, a few will die there, a few in a pie, a few in a pig sty, a few will get hanged, a few in a big bang, A few will die in a chair and Late Lord Frey will die with no Heir.

I do think the the Isle of Face will play a part before the end of the series.

• 2 weeks later...

I dot think it is that impossible take the twins at all. Other than that, i do not think there are any descriptions of impressive defenses. It's primary defense is that it can hold out against a long siege on one side, because supplies can be brought in from the other tower, again, unless both towers are besieged at the same time (to the ops original point). So, lots of ice allows an army to cross at any point, not even near the towers, and lay siege to both at once. Just curious, is their any discussion of the ability of the bridge to be raised on one side of then other. And cheers to the slow, humiliating, and painful death of all freys.

I'm not sure how likely it is for the Green Fork to freeze over at The Twins. The river around the castles is described as running deep and swift, so it's the kind of river that most likely wouldn't freeze over. If it did freeze over, it would likely only be the surface which froze, and you have to assume that the Freys would be smart enough to punch holes in it so that it couldn't be used to attack them. Not saying it is impossible, but it seems unlikely IMO.

We do not yet know what is in the Isle of Faces other than the weirwoods. Howland is the only one we know that has been there and when he finally appears he may finally give a reason to travel there over the frozen lake.

Speculation bordering on Crackpottery:

In Wiki it says the peace between the First Men and the CotF was made there. Now that we have Bran as a window to the past perhaps we may find out the specifics of the peace and if there is any important tidbit that may help with what is going on with the Others (i.e. perhaps something "magical" about the Starks that may allude to AA or the Others).

Also, and this is just speculation, Bran may find out about Lyanna and Rhaegar by "weirwooding" himself to the past. That is if L&R married on the Isle of Faces and if you add that with Howland's testimony, which we're sure to have, and Bran then transmits that Old God style to the rest of Westeros then something might come out of that.

Archived