Again With the Small Questions

Datepalm

I would imagine that moon tea is pretty easily obtained in brothels

A better answer than mine. Duh! They're prostitutes. Of course they take some actions against unwanted pregnancies. Thus far, we've only heard of prostitutes bearing bastards to great lords (like King Robert). Maybe they use moon tea the rest of the time (and particularly with a dwarf, a "twisted little monkey demon").

tyrion is still a lord tho, but most likely tyrion bastards dont advance the plot so there is no point mentioning them

Tyrion's no lord. He is not the head of a house and doesn't have any land nor has the crown granted him the empty title of 'Lord' like they gave it to Varys and a couple pyromancers. When he was acting hand he would be called Lord, but that was just a courtesy.

From aGoT: After Robert's death and Joffrey's ascension to the Iron Throne, a herald announces Joffrey's appearance to the court, and then Cersei's:

"All hail his lady mother, Cersei of House Lannister, Queen Regent, Light of the West, and Protector of the Realm."

Does anybody know what the "Light of the West" title is? Does it have something to do with Tywin's being Warden of the West?

From aGoT: After Robert's death and Joffrey's ascension to the Iron Throne, a herald announces Joffrey's appearance to the court, and then Cersei's:

"All hail his lady mother, Cersei of House Lannister, Queen Regent, Light of the West, and Protector of the Realm."

Does anybody know what the "Light of the West" title is? Does it have something to do with Tywin's being Warden of the West?

Glad you asked this! I have posed this question on numerous threads and never got an answer :bang: it may not be important to the storyline though, but it would be nice to know. Was there a Light of the North, South, East? Or was it a Casterley Rock / Lannister title?

Glad you asked this! I have posed this question on numerous threads and never got an answer :bang: it may not be important to the storyline though, but it would be nice to know. Was there a Light of the North, South, East? Or was it a Casterley Rock / Lannister title?

I am not sure if this is correct because I saw it in the wiki, but Light of the West is an alias, not a title!

Edit: As in Daenerys, an alias is Mother of Dragons, the Unburnt etc. So someone or people must have been calling Cersei that, possibly for her beauty and her golden hair and she comes from the westernmost part of Westeros. (That's a lot of west)

I was in a thread about Jaqen killing Pate to become him. Is that the general belief? Is this what the KOM means when he says to Arya: “. . . the Many-Faced God will take your ears, your nose, your tongue. He will take your sad grey eyes that have seen so much. He will take your hands, your feet, your arms, your legs, and your private parts. He will take your hopes and dreams, your loves and hates. Those who enter His service must give up all that makes them who they are. Can you do that?”(AFFC 453-454).

Or did Jaqen merely take Pate's face?

Is Martin foreshadowing for his readers that the faceless men have magic so powerful that they can 'reanimate' the dead corpse of another whom they wish to inhabit?

How will this 'gift' conflict with or complement a warg/skinchanging FM recruit like Arya?

Does this mean that Jaqen can kill a human and inhabit that human, but only Arya will be able to inhabit an animal, such as a slain dragon on behalf of the FM? And why kill the dragon? Why not warg it?

See why I am getting confused?

Thanks for any guidance.

Certainly Jaqen didn't reanimate Pate? (If so, what of Jon Snow?)

It is the general consensus that Jaqen killed Pate and then assumed his identity, but he did not reanimate his body. He used his face, probably in a similar way as the faces Arya sees in that room way below the House of Black and White.

I think when the KOM says the multi-faced god will take Arya's hands, feet, etc, he means that she will be able to become unrecognizable. She will be able to conceal every part of herself, and also that every part of her will be used in service to the multi-faced god.

I did a quick Kindle search and can't find "Light of the West" or any other direction mentioned again. There are, of course, plenty of references to the setting sun; light fading in the west, etc. Unless GRRM just plopped that tidbit in there to remind us that as bright as Cersei may be shining at this moment, her light/power has already begun to fade....?

I am not sure if this is correct because I saw it in the wiki, but Light of the West is an alias, not a title!

Edit: As in Daenerys, an alias is Mother of Dragons, the Unburnt etc. So someone or people must have been calling Cersei that, possibly for her beauty and her golden hair and she comes from the westernmost part of Westeros. (That's a lot of west)

That's interesting that the Wiki calls it an alias rather than a title. Sounds like something Cersei might have self-styled herself! :)

It is the general consensus that Jaqen killed Pate and then assumed his identity, but he did not reanimate his body. He used his face, probably in a similar way as the faces Arya sees in that room way below the House of Black and White.

I think when the KOM says the multi-faced god will take Arya's hands, feet, etc, he means that she will be able to become unrecognizable. She will be able to conceal every part of herself, and also that every part of her will be used in service to the multi-faced god.

Thank you, Melisandra. I appreciate your taking time to address my post. When I researched threads, the being verb 'is' was oft used: "Jaqen is Pate" But I do not know if a single good action verb exists to clarify what happens. Perhaps a sentence structure with the main clause containing a compound predicate? : Jaqen killed Pate and then took his face in order to use Pate's identity to infiltrate the Citadel. (Italics may not be needed).

I also had wondered if the KOM's words "take your private parts" meant or suggested that Arya may, at times, take the face of a "boy"?

If the Last Hero lost his dog, his horse, and his sword, how did he get the original Dragonsteel sword?

He didn't lose his sword...it broke due to extreme temperature, but each House has a dragonsteel family sword. But, I do not know if that was the case before or after the first long night. Azor Ahai created his sword and defeated the Others, but I think he's a different character than the Last Hero.

Sorry that I haven't completely answered your question! Perhaps someone else can chime in?

He didn't lose his sword...it broke due to extreme temperature, but each House has a dragonsteel family sword. But, I do not know if that was the case before or after the first long night. Azor Ahai created his sword and defeated the Others, but I think he's a different character than the Last Hero.

Sorry that I haven't completely answered your question! Perhaps someone else can chime in?

I'd be very careful in assuming dragonsteel=Valyrian steel. I for one, do not believe this is the case.

Sam tells Jon the legend of a man slaying his enemies with a sword made of dragonsteel. A singular sword, not plural.

I'd be very careful in assuming dragonsteel=Valyrian steel. I for one, do not believe this is the case.

Sam tells Jon the legend of a man slaying his enemies with a sword made of dragonsteel. A singular sword, not plural.

I typed "dragonsteel" into the wiki and was redirected to Valyrian steel, which confirms my belief that they are the same.

I typed "dragonsteel" into the wiki and was redirected to Valyrian steel, which confirms my belief that they are the same.

It very well may be true, but I don't think so. All I'm saying is that be careful with that assumption and be careful when using the wiki as the end-all-be-all of arguments.

Archived