New England Conventions: Next up, Boskone 2/14/2014 (AKA The Best Valentine's Day EVER!)

Regina

While at the blast that was this year's WorldCon, Lady N. pointed out that more folks might show up for the NE conventions if we started a new thread and gave them more notice and information. I know we used to have an old Boskone thread, but as we've been recycling it for years, it might be time to start fresh. So here goes!

Boskone takes place in Boston each February, but don't let that stop you! The BWB will find enough booze to guarantee you stay warm!

http://www.nesfa.org/boskone/

Readercon is in Burlington, MA each July. It doesn't appear they have updated their website for 2013 yet, but it's still early.

http://www.readercon.org/index.htm

The BWB is always represented at these cons by the local contingent, even without GRRM's presence. Join us, the more the merrier!

If you know of any other conventions in or near NE that you want to discuss here, please do so!

(And yes, I AM posting this in a bout of post-WorldCon blues, lol. I don't want to wait a year or more to see you fine folks again if that can be avoided!)

I'll be at both Boskone and Arisia and if I could clarify for those who don't know Arisia that well, good for parties. There are lots of pics online, so you can see for yourself. One caveat: the hotel rooms go very fast for Arisia, so plan accordingly (they're not available yet). The rooms for Boskone are already available for booking, and the hotel doesn't fill up that fast, so much more time to plan. If anyone wants more info, feel free to contact me offline and I will be happy to fill you in.

• 4 weeks later...

We're going to try for Boskone, but given that our son's birthday is 2/14 and he MUST have a birthday party we will see when that gets scheduled. I'm just worried that with conventions still happening, someone in one of our families will inevitably end up in the friggin hospital again.

Great thread idea, Reggie. ;)

We're always down for hanging Saturday night at Boskone. I'd love it if we could swing a day pass this year (as long as we can get someone to feed our dogs dinner).

There's also a little Comic Con coming to Providence November 3 & 4 this year (2012) and it would be great to use that as an excuse for a mini-meet. Hint hint hint.

There's also a little Comic Con coming to Providence November 3 & 4 this year (2012) and it would be great to use that as an excuse for a mini-meet. Hint hint hint.

Gods fucking damn it. Is this con one that happens annually there, or is it just this year? We just got an invite to a baby shower earlier this week for that weekend, and it isn't one that we can dodge, and no, I am not kidding. You and Jay, Providence, and comics? That had WIN all over it....balls.

• 1 month later...

Woot!

Just booked our rooms as well. As a heads-up for anyone looking to share rooms, it seems that quads are totally booked at the Westin, even outside the con block. We got ourselves a double, which are still available at the con rate on the non-party floor.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the deal is with Boskone? Will there be a BwB meet up there?

How similar is this convention compared to 2012's WorldCon?

(I'll be there! I can't wait!)

Boskone is much smaller than WorldCon, though a lot of the features are similar in terms of panels, the art show, readings, etc. The BWB will be there, or at least a number of the Northeast BWB (including Xray and I, Regina, fenryng, and likely some others such as Stego and possibly Balefont) will be on hand. Not sure yet if there will be an official event like the parties in Chicago, but there will certainly be a lot of hanging out in the lobby.

There's a good chance I will show up as I'm sorta/kinda living in Boston for the winter. Any advice about what membership level I should get? I don't want to miss anything BWB related but I'm not sure I'll be dedicated enough to come back each day.

Archived