New England Conventions: Next up, Boskone 2/14/2014 (AKA The Best Valentine's Day EVER!)

Regina

There's a good chance I will show up as I'm sorta/kinda living in Boston for the winter. Any advice about what membership level I should get? I don't want to miss anything BWB related but I'm not sure I'll be dedicated enough to come back each day.

I suppose it depends what day you plan to show up. The one-day membership for Saturday is $40, while a full attending membership (for all three days) is $50 in advance ($55 at the door). Friday and Sunday one-day memberships are $15. So if you only plan on coming Friday or Sunday, go with the daily membership. But if you're planning on coming Saturday (when most of the hanging out will likely happen anyway), you might just want to buy the full membership in advance (it's only a $10 difference) and that gives you the option of coming the other days as well.

ETA: The page with membership info, including a link to purchase online, is here.

ETA2: Or what Xray said.

So, who is gonna be at Boskone this year?

By my count, we have:

Xray

Mr. X

Regina

Fenryng

Bookwyrm

Lady With Ink

Stego

Lady Stego

a wooden chair

Balefont and Mr. B (a girl can hope!)

Drowned Dan Pyke (even though he never checks this board, I bet I will be getting a text this year on Saturday wondering where the party is at, because that's how he rolls) :kiss:

Alchemist & spouse (she also never checks the board but is a Boskone regular)

The Mance!

Frisco & Lady Frisco

John Picacio

Naz

Thank you for your order. Please print and keep this invoice for your records.

I just got a full membership, but I reserve the right to totally chicken out at the last minute.

:leaving:

The Mance--don't worry, we aren't that scary! Well, most of us aren't anyway. I have to admit I can be pretty intimidating sometimes.*

Xray--Thanks for trying to get a head count going. I have heard it's possible that a few others may join us, but haven't gotten real confirmation. Maybe this will drag them all out of the woodwork! ETA: I am looking at you Tycho and GoN!!!

Fenryng and I were thinking that, once it gets closer and we have a guestimate on the number of people to expect, we might want to make reservations for Legal Seafood ahead of time. I expect we will want to have our traditional Saturday night pilgrimage for dinner?

*No worries, that is just an inside joke with some other regular board members. My 5'2ish self utterly fails to intimidate anyone. ;-)

Oh it not you folks I'm worried about, so much as ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE!

It's just strange for me to be back in Boston again after being away for 20+ years. I mean, I grew up about 8 miles from where this convention will be held so in a sense the area is familiar. I can tell you exactly how I'll get there on the T, for example. But, there will probably be about as many people attending this convention as there are residents of the town I've been living in for the past 12 years. So its just an odd mix of familiar, old memories, and total culture shock that I can't quite get my head around yet.

But, I've been watching this Board and community grow and develop for the better part of 15 years and, whether from geographic or financial reasons, I've never had the opportunity to meet anyone. So. . . . for the chance to meet some of you folks, I'm willing to risk metropolitan chaos and sensory overload. Just don't make any sudden movements. :stunned:

• 2 weeks later...

So, who is gonna be at Boskone this year?

By my count, we have:

Xray

Mr. X

Regina

Fenryng

Bookwyrm

Lady With Ink

Stego

Lady Stego

a wooden chair

Balefont and Mr. B (a girl can hope!)

Drowned Dan Pyke (even though he never checks this board, I bet I will be getting a text this year on Saturday wondering where the party is at, because that's how he rolls) :kiss:

Alchemist & spouse (she also never checks the board but is a Boskone regular)

The Mance!

The plan is to be there for the Saturday evening festivities. <3

The plan is to be there for the Saturday evening festivities. <3

*happy dance*

*joins in happy dance* Excellent news!

I guess since I already called him out above, I may as well say that I facebook stalked Tycho and he says he hopes to join us for at least part of the weekend. Of course, it IS possible he just said that out of fear of my scary stalker ways, lol. ;-)

I'm thinking of coming, but just for Saturday evening to meet you all. I'm not really interested in the con itself, so would I still have to buy the daily membership? It's not a problem if that's the case, but if I come up to Boston for a day, I'd rather spend the day meeting some other friends of mine, then hang out with you lot in the evening and jet home on Sunday.

eta: Basically, is there a BwB event or party that I would need membership to attend, or are you guys just going out for dinner somewhere outside the hotel?

eta2: Also, does anyone have space in their room for one person? (As you can see, I have no idea what the heck I'm doing.)

No BWB party -- this is really the NE BWB relaxacon, where we just go to see friends, sit in on a panel or two, and hemorrhage money in the dealers' room. There will probably be a group outing to Legal Seafood (which does have a couple of vegetarian options, both salads and at least one entree) on Saturday night. It has become something of a tradition, that. After that, we'll just be chilling in the lobby/bar/wherever, and that doesn't require a membership. :)

Relaxacon sounds like my kind of con. Sounds like I'll forgo the con membership and just hang out with you folks on Saturday evening at Legal and whatever you all do afterwards. So count me in if you have to make any reservations or anything. I checked the hotel and its booked, of course, so if no one is up for an extra cot in their room, I can just crash with friends/family.

Xray, I'll be in touch with you via phone/email/FB/something.

You hear it here first, beloved Bros:

We'll be attending BosKone for the first time in too many years.

George will have a very light schedule so we can relax and enjoy being with friends.

He'll do a reading, one book signing session with limits on how many books can be signed and there will be no personalizations if the line is long, no posed photos. It's also likely that he'll do a one-on-one discussion of some SFnal topic with Melinda Snodgrass.

Other than those commitments, we'll be hanging out, down in the bar, eating lots of yummy seafood, supporting the KC in 2016 bid, and generally having lots of fun.

See ya there!

Archived