New England Conventions: Next up, Boskone 2/14/2014 (AKA The Best Valentine's Day EVER!)

Regina

Mr. X and I had a drama-filled trip to Boston that included cancelled trains and the ability to buy Bell's Two Hearted Ale in Penn Station. (FINALLY!) We were greeted in Boston with many lovebirds, including one poor young man who was holding a dozen roses in one arm, and supporting his fantastically inebriated girlfriend in the other while she slurred teary apologies. I love Valentines Day. :lol:

Then we got to the hotel, dropped our luggage off and wandered down to the art reception. Met Stego, Lady Stego, Alchemist, Mr. Alchemist, Regina, Fenryng, and Sir Knight Somerville down there. Then found Captain Picacio and Tara. We ended up discussing Stego's meat chakra for an unseemly amount of time, then John introduced me to the artist guest of honor, Dave Palumbo. I fangirled that guy and I am not even sorry about it.

Saturday, I went to panels! They were all art-related panels (I have long since learned that I just don't enjoy literary panels whatsoever) and they ruled. Then some things happened, and we ran across Frisco! Then I got a text from R'hllor's Red Lobster and I scampered (with my cephalopod socks) down to meet him and Lady Lobster. I have no idea how I knew who they were, but I think it's because they looked like Good People. I wandered around the dealers room and, for the first time in history, did not buy any jewelry. I also did not buy a knit Rainbow Dash mohawk hat. Lots of low-key cosplay this year -- mostly steampunk, but we also had some Trekkies. And a lot of unicorns and knit Brony caps. This trend will only increase, I suspect.

There were only three winged cats in the art show.

At some point, we all ended up in the lobby and wandered into a fucking blizzard for seafood. We got our usual table. RRL and Lady Lobster were stuck sitting by me, Regina and Stego. I am surprised they didn't just drop a smoke bomb and run for the exit, but they actually stayed for the whole dinner. So I guess Stego and I have mellowed. Or found some bare-bones social graces. Or maybe his meat chakra is simply irresistible to crustaceans. On the way back in the chauffeured car, we bellowed along to Purple Rain.

It should come as no surprise that we have identified the perfect BWB activity at conventions: playing Cards Against Humanity. If there was ever a game tailor-made for us miscreants, that is it. We invaded the gaming room with beer and proceeded to be horrible human beings for a couple of hours. Then we all migrated to a hotel room and drank single-malt scotch and apple-pie moonshine.

This AM was fairly low-key. We said goodbye, went to some panels, said more goodbyes, and chatted with some of the LonCon peeps. We also realized that we travelled all the way to Boston to move a piece of artwork 100 feet, because the artist from whom we bought the piece actually lives in the same building -- the same floor, even -- as we do in NYC.

The turnout for BWB at this Boskone was lower than in years past: the weather was a shitshow and apparently Bookwyrm was wrestling a telescope this weekend. But we had a lot of fun just hanging out with old friends, making a few new ones, and generally just basking in the awesomeness of concentrated nerdery. I cannot wait until next year!

Glad (most) everyone was able to get there, be safe and have a great time. Next year, if Boskone is the same weekend, we probably still won't be able to make it considering 2/14 will still be Jacks birthday and it will be a Saturday. If they move up or push back the weekend it is on, then we can at least tell ourselves "We can make it" til some other calamity gets in the way.

Glad (most) everyone was able to get there, be safe and have a great time. Next year, if Boskone is the same weekend, we probably still won't be able to make it considering 2/14 will still be Jacks birthday and it will be a Saturday. If they move up or push back the weekend it is on, then we can at least tell ourselves "We can make it" til some other calamity gets in the way.

It is the same weekend in 2015, hopefully with a year's time you will be able to figure out workaround?

Archived