Theory on Maggy's prophecy and new definition for 'Volanqar'

Davos' fingertip

It couldn't be Robert Baratheon. He was the eldest brother. Plus, while it has been awhile since I read AGoT, I'm pretty sure he is dead.

Epilogue: The Winds of Winter

Cersei sat alone in the caves below Casterly rock as the winter's snows piled high above. The bitter bite of winter's breath reached her even this deep into the rock, freezing the tears falling from her eyes.. She never should have fled King's Landing in the dead of Winter. She felt she had no choice once Myrcella's body arrived from Dorne and Aegon's Army close behind. She knelt before her children, face white as a ghost. She closed her eyes against the sting of her tears. The sob froze in her throat as the childish hands wrapped around it.

If getting killed by the only thing she truly loved isn't poetic justice, not sure what is. But who knows with Martin. Maybe we will find out in a hint somewhere that Moonboy is a younger brother and he kills her in a fit of jealous rage. He HATES being sloppy fourths all the time.

I think GRRM can still pull a trick and give us totally unexpected Volonqar, as of now I think the most likely candidates are :

4 - Benjen Stark (If benjen = Coldhands and if the others anc company reach as far as Kings Landing or at least Casterly rock)

I had this hunch occur to me, and thought "OMG, how incredible AND just that would be!"

The likelihood is very low given the Missing Person status of Benjen, and the good chance he's currently a dead tour guide north of the Wall, but wow... how amazing!

I had this hunch occur to me, and thought "OMG, how incredible AND just that would be!"

The likelihood is very low given the Missing Person status of Benjen, and the good chance he's currently a dead tour guide north of the Wall, but wow... how amazing!

IMO Benjen isn't coldhands, because the COTF said he (coldhands) had been there for 100's of years. (I can't remember the exact wording) but Benjen is still out there somewhere, in human form, doing something. You could be right, for all we know he headed east hopped on a boat and went to Skagos and kept travelling south and that's why no one has found him.

But what has Cersei personally done to Benjen??

She has wronged so many people seems like someone with more of a grudge would be the one to kill her.

If Cersei indirectly (or directly) causes the deaths of Tommen and Myrcella, I do believe the most likely and boring explanation is Jaime. He's already made more than one reference to being a family, and then after finding out about Cersei's betrayals and opening his eyes, wanting to get Tommen away from her before she could create Joffrey 2.0

We do have a few scenes were we've seen her break/humiliate Tommen for daring to point out HE'S the king and her blind fury causing him to be a part of something quite traumatic for a child. Then there's the scene I found very interesting after he threw up over the smell of Tywin's body and he makes a strong implication to Jaime that Joffrey abused him (he 'went away inside,' just like his father) before Cersei interrupts, against furious.

Since strangulation is a crime of passion I see it being Jaime or Tyrion if it's truly a self fulfilling prophecy.

I quite like the Stannis idea, but strangulation is so personal I can't see him doing it. He doesn't seem the type to use a poison either. Then again the show runners know the ending, perhaps the Stannis chocking Mel scene was foreshadowing?

I could see Tyrion using the strangling poison she is convinced he killed Joffrey with as a punishment for what she's done to their family and especially him.

It couldn't be Robert Baratheon. He was the eldest brother. Plus, while it has been awhile since I read AGoT, I'm pretty sure he is dead.

Epilogue: The Winds of Winter

Cersei sat alone in the caves below Casterly rock as the winter's snows piled high above. The bitter bite of winter's breath reached her even this deep into the rock, freezing the tears falling from her eyes.. She never should have fled King's Landing in the dead of Winter. She felt she had no choice once Myrcella's body arrived from Dorne and Aegon's Army close behind. She knelt before her children, face white as a ghost. She closed her eyes against the sting of her tears. The sob froze in her throat as the childish hands wrapped around it.

If getting killed by the only thing she truly loved isn't poetic justice, not sure what is. But who knows with Martin. Maybe we will find out in a hint somewhere that Moonboy is a younger brother and he kills her in a fit of jealous rage. He HATES being sloppy fourths all the time.

I'm new here....is this an actual quote from the epilogue of WOW??? If it is, I'm totally gobsmacked. I cannot see Cercei leaving the Red Keep willingly. I think her walk of shame will only kick her psychosis up a notch. It actually wouldn't surprise me if she decides Tommen has been too contaminated by Tyrell influence and kills him herself (which would be completely short sighted since that would probably put the Hand--a Tyrell--on the throne (albeit probably not for long). But since when has Cercei been able to see the big picture? Never. I, too, suspect Jamie will be the volanqar to strangle her. If the strangulation is literal (and who knows with GRRM), this is always a crime of passion from someone close to the victim, so that leaves (in my opinion) just Jaimie or Tyrion and I don't think Tyrion has a bat's chance in hell of getting close to her undiscovered. The poetic justice of her beloved twin killing her in the end is perfect, imo.

In regards to Marcella, being that she is in dangerous territory right now, there are plenty of ways she could end up killed. No big shocker is needed there. I hope GRRM is holed up somewhere writing his arse off...I'm dying to see what happens next!:-)

How about Loras Tyrell?

Cersei is out to get his sister, his cousins, his home (by abandoning High Garden to the Ironmen) and he's the youngest Tyrell son. He's been described as being as hot-tempered as Jaime Lannister (the queen of thornes killed Joffrey because she feared Joffrey+Margery+Loras = Kingslayer Stew.) That sounds passionate enough to throttle someone.

Lancel recovered from injuries no one thought he could survive, why shouldn't Loras come back with a vengence?

I think this is my first post here, sorry if this has already been said (it's a long thread).

My understanding is that we have Zombie Clegane (aka The Mountain) on the Kingsguard, and The Hound is now in with the Church.

Cersei will have trial by combat ... I hope it's between The Mountain (for the Queen) and The Hound as the champion of the church.

If The Hound wins, then Cersei will have been killed by a little brother ...

At least that is my wish for the prophecy.

I think this is my first post here, sorry if this has already been said (it's a long thread).

My understanding is that we have Zombie Clegane (aka The Mountain) on the Kingsguard, and The Hound is now in with the Church.

Cersei will have trial by combat ... I hope it's between The Mountain (for the Queen) and The Hound as the champion of the church.

If The Hound wins, then Cersei will have been killed by a little brother ...

At least that is my wish for the prophecy.

First of all I am in love with your name!

I like this theory too, it's a common one. I actually have so many theories if just one of them is true I'll be stoked!

I'm new here....is this an actual quote from the epilogue of WOW??? If it is, I'm totally gobsmacked. I cannot see Cercei leaving the Red Keep willingly. I think her walk of shame will only kick her psychosis up a notch. It actually wouldn't surprise me if she decides Tommen has been too contaminated by Tyrell influence and kills him herself (which would be completely short sighted since that would probably put the Hand--a Tyrell--on the throne (albeit probably not for long). But since when has Cercei been able to see the big picture? Never. I, too, suspect Jamie will be the volanqar to strangle her. If the strangulation is literal (and who knows with GRRM), this is always a crime of passion from someone close to the victim, so that leaves (in my opinion) just Jaimie or Tyrion and I don't think Tyrion has a bat's chance in hell of getting close to her undiscovered. The poetic justice of her beloved twin killing her in the end is perfect, imo.

In regards to Marcella, being that she is in dangerous territory right now, there are plenty of ways she could end up killed. No big shocker is needed there. I hope GRRM is holed up somewhere writing his arse off...I'm dying to see what happens next!:-)

No, just my own crappy writing. Probably the first and last time I'll ever be mistaken for GRRM. :P

I was thinking the owner of the brothel chella said a hand of the king use to love coming there but he was ashamed or something thats how the hole for tyrion to come and go as he pleased more freely. I think the hand was Tywin and I think the owner's daughter might be his and want to see end to Cersei Lannister and all she holds dear she beat her thinking she was tyrion's lover. and someone is always mentioning that scar she gave that kettelback.

I was thinking the owner of the brothel chella said a hand of the king use to love coming there but he was ashamed or something thats how the hole for tyrion to come and go as he pleased more freely. I think the hand was Tywin and I think the owner's daughter might be his and want to see end to Cersei Lannister and all she holds dear she beat her thinking she was tyrion's lover. and someone is always mentioning that scar she gave that kettelback.

Wait what? can you be more specific?

.. "I will be queen, though?" asked the younger her. "Aye." Malice gleamed in Maggys yellow eyes. "Queen you shall be . . . until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear."

Just discussing this part in another thread, and we realized it didn't actually say "Queen," just "another, younger and more beautiful" who would cast her down. Someone even mentioned it could be Aegon himself, or anyone younger and more beautiful.

Though the word is more often used in relation to women, there are many men who've been described this way, Jaimie, Rhaegar, Loras, Renly, etc....

Edit: Sorry if this has already been addressed.

Wait what? can you be more specific?

I'm thinking Tywin +chataya=alayaya

Alayaya and Chataya they said that the tunnel was made for another king's hand whose honor could not be question sounds like Tywin to me and his open disgust for whores because his father. valanqar maybe me younger sister or something she did cause the girl some nasty bruises and i think cuz of the show we been sleeping on the whores of westeros they are quite more capable then we give them credit for.

I'm thinking Tywin +chataya=alayaya

Alayaya and Chataya they said that the tunnel was made for another king's hand whose honor could not be question sounds like Tywin to me and his open disgust for whores because his father. valanqar maybe me younger sister or something she did cause the girl some nasty bruises and i think cuz of the show we been sleeping on the whores of westeros they are quite more capable then we give them credit for.

Oh ok, that does make sense. and it would be so funny if a whore ended up killing Cersei. and just further dishonor to the proud house of bullshit Lannister :)

I think the valanqar is the Hound. The Hound vs. Gregor storyline was never resolved, it's assumed he is still alive on that little island with the monks. The Hound may be the champion of the faith and defeat Sir Robert Strong thus THE little brother killing Cersei

I know this doesn't fit with the current definition of "valonqar" but I am re-reading the books and I've noticed Catelyn is talking quite a lot about strangling Cersei Lannister, at least during the 2nd book.

Here is the quote:

(Catelyn tp Brienne) I have no skill with swords but that does not mean that I do not dream of riding to King's Landing and wrapping my hands around Cersei Lannister's whithe throat and squeezing until her face turns black

Later in the 2nd book she states again she'd love to strangle Cersei. As Lady Stoneheart is on a killing spree to get revenge for the murder of her family, it would seem very sweet to me if she could actually choke Cersei to death, it would be the vengeance of a mother on another mother :-)

I don't think I had ever seen this theory proposed before, so I thouht it could maybe be interesting to know Cat states several times she'd like to kill Cersei by strangulation.

Since valonqar is a Valyrian term and Aegon is going to have the Valyrian look to him, I think that Aegon will be the one to kill Cersei. I think that he'll sack King's Landing and immediately destroy the legitimacy of his reign by putting Tommen to the sword in front of Cersei and then Cersei herself. As everyone is happy to see Cersei go, they'll immediately regret elevating Aegon because he will be seen to have the same madness as Aerys. I think he'll make the mistake of trying to make the living Lannisters pay for what was done by dead Lannisters. But that basically assumes FrankenGregor is out of the way beforehand so I dunno.

Archived