NYC BwB: Storm King in the Fall - THIS WEEKEND!

naz

Hey everyone,

At the last couple of NYC meetups, we floated the idea of a picnic or general visit to Storm King Art Center in the Hudson Highlands sometime in October when the leaves are changing. For those of you who don't know, Storm King is a 500-acre outdoor/indoor sculpture park about 1 hour north of New York City in the rolling wooded hills of the Hudson River Valley.

I've gone there numerous times and organized an office picnic event once, too. It's really a beautiful place and even if you're not into art or sculpture in particular, it's nice to just walk around the grounds, especially when the leaves are in full autumn bloom.

The fall colors peak around mid-October around this area (others can confirm), so I thought - if there's enough interest - we can schedule a day-trip and/or picnic on either of the weekends of Oct 13-14 or Oct 20-21.

Some details:

- They have a picnic area right near the vehicle entrance. We could possibly meet up around 11am, have a light brunch or something and then spend the afternoon walking around the park.

- They now have a cafe onsite, which also provides box lunches for groups if you order in advance, so essentially we wouldn't have to bring any food with us at all. They also have group discounts on admission if there are 15 or more of us going.

- Back in the day, alcohol used to be prohibited, but I can't find anywhere on the website where it says that now, so hey... I guess you can bring booze if you like.

- There are numerous transportation options. There are package deals for buses leaving from Port Authority (check the website), or if everyone wants to meet at, say, the GWB bus terminal (A-train), I can pick you all up and we can carpool in my parents' minivan (seats 7-8).

- It's a great place to bring kids. They have gravel paths easy for strollers to move on, plus they have a tram if you're tired of walking. The office picnic that I did, people brought their kids and they loved it, despite the fact that it was literally 100 deg F that day. We didn't even use the tram.

There's more info on the website, but if anyone in the NY/NJ/CT/PA area (or beyond!) is interested, post in this thread and we'll organize it. The X's and I were thinking of going anyway, but it really would be a cool place for a BwB outing, even though it's a bit farther from NYC than our previous jaunts. But believe me, if you're even remotely interested in large-scale landscape art or sculpture, it's a great place to visit.

I also encourage anyone from outside the NYC metro area to attend. I know there are some boarders from upstate NY who would only be a short drive away. It's also not far from New England or Southern NJ, PA, MD, if anyone is inclined to make a weekend out of it.

So, post in this thread if you're interested, what day/date you prefer, whether you'd bring kids, how we should deal with food, drinks, transportation, etc.

Look's like it's the 20th. Who's coming so far (# in parentheses):

Fairly certain (12):

- naz +2

- Frisco +1

- Xray and Mr X

- Turinqui-Calima +1

- the maid of woodlynne

- Etulftune +1

- fitheach

Interested/Unsure/Thinking about it:

- Mlle. Zabzie and the Zabzie clan

I forgot to mention that I can't do it on October 14th (prior commitment). That doesn't mean it can't happen that day, if it suits everyone else. In any event, with the limited response so far, it looks like the 13th is the likeliest date.

maid: Not sure about the dog. You can check the website.

I guess the 20th is looking like the date. For those who are still unsure, please post in this thread when you get an idea. As we get closer, we can figure out transportation and food-related stuff. I'll probably have some friends coming along, too. And if you can let me know if you're bringing anyone with you (friends, family) that would be helpful.

And spread the word to other NYers who don't read this subforum, if you talk/chat with them.

I should be able to make the 20th with no problem. Probably flying solo - if that changes I'll let you guys know.

Anyone have a time preference? Ideally after noon-1pm is best for me. Anything earlier and it turns into a mad scramble.

Looking forward to seeing you guys!

Archived