So wake up, wake up

It's T-shirt weather

Ba-ba-ba how could things be better?

This afternoon in the pub I met her

Maggie May on the juke-box

Hey, things are okay

“Just two things” she tells me,

“If you want to keep things friendly –

no beer for me, no peanuts, and I'll be happy…

oh, and no football, well I guess that makes three”

It's a beautiful day

And I'm starting to feel a lot better

So wake up, wake up

It's T-shirt weather

It's T-shirt weather

Want to be outside like anything but I'm stuck indoors writing about the long-term unemployed and the luxurious lifestyle afforded them off the backs of us hard-working types.

NSW Local Government Elections wrap:

Clover Moore easily re-elected for third term as City of Sydney Mayor

I don't know how this is possible as the Daily Telegraph and 2GB assured me that huge swathes of Paddington were in open revolt against her two-wheeled reign of terror. Could it actually be that she's popular with, yanno, people who live there?

Labor regains ground in the Inner City vs Greens...

Not a surprise, last two years have been very forgettable for NSW Greens who have repeatedly shot themselves in the foot by dragging the BDS movement against the Israeli Occupation of the West Bank into their platform (you mean Ramallah, Hebron, Nablus and Gaza aren't recognised NSW Local Government Areas?!) and been largely complacent about actually defeating Australia's oldest political party in one of its heartlands, employing vague fuzzy feel-good statements and not responding effectively to attacks in the hope that their federal successes would simply translate at state and local level. Consequently it looks like Newtown will elect a Liberal. Nice one, guys.

...but loses it to the Liberals in the West

Libs win the Liverpool mayoral race and match much of their gains in 2011 at the local level. A reminder to the ALP that fun as it is to bash the Greens over their exaggerated expectations the real problem remains unsolved. There's nothing like local success for normalising state and federal gains.

The rest of the state?

Peter Besseling, Rob Oakeshott's Independent successor for his old state seat winning in Port Macquarie must have put a huge grin on his face. Again, the News Limited press might just possibly be premature about the death of NSW regional independents...

Ah, the South Coast: 21 candidates ran for Eurobodalla shire mayor, the front runner sitting pretty on 11.5% of the vote.

other NSW politics stuff:

Deeply underwhelming transport blueprint from Barry and crew. Do we see early stages of infrastructuritis?

Moore's re-election at local level means giving up her state seat. BoF's 'Get Clover' ploy appears to have backfired - it looks enough of the Clover vote will go to the Greens to swing it for them, which would be a nice pickup after yesterday's drubbing.

listen to alan jones and you would've thought that the residents of sydney were ready to lynch clover moore, let alone vote her out. as it turns out, she got more than thrice the number of votes as guy that finished second.

i'm a bit disappointed though, at how easily the liberals seem to be winning in the western suburbs. there's been a lot of discontent out here with barry o'farrell's empty rhetoric. i thought the alp would do a bit better.

Aside from politics, my beloved Dockers knocked the reigning premiers out of the AFL finals, Claremont have made it through to the WAFL Grand Final and the Bulldogs beat the Sea Eagles on Friday night :thumbsup:

My life doesn't revolve around footy at all :leaving:

Hmm long term unemployed? What exactly does that mean?

If you mean those families who have 3 generations who have never worked a day in their lives than yeah fine, but if you are talking about those of us who have been struggling to find work for 12 months or more then you may be talking a heap of doggy doo doo.

There are not that many jobs out there and believe me it is no fun trying to survive on the dole. I get a total of $567 a fortnight so please do not tell me we are living the easy life.

On the bright side I will hopefully be starting work this week, though just how much work I will get is still a major question.

Hmm long term unemployed? What exactly does that mean?

If you mean those families who have 3 generations who have never worked a day in their lives than yeah fine, but if you are talking about those of us who have been struggling to find work for 12 months or more then you may be talking a heap of doggy doo doo.

There are not that many jobs out there and believe me it is no fun trying to survive on the dole. I get a total of $567 a fortnight so please do not tell me we are living the easy life.

On the bright side I will hopefully be starting work this week, though just how much work I will get is still a major question.

Was being sarcastic, GS - Newstart and Job Network are failing a great many and most pollies don't want to touch it with a bargepole because their rhetoric of the undeserving poor is in large part to blame.

wow, that's tough!! our household income is above average, but we're not exactly living the high life. obviously this is nothing compared to the difficulties you face on that sort of income.

good luck with the job, hopefully it works out for you.

lol

Things are a bit rough here atm actually but nothing I will not survive :)

On the upside I'm off to Melbourne in a couple of weeks for five amazing child-free days so that's something to look forward to!

Also the demon child has finally been offered a place in a support school for next year and it is at our prefered option. I wish he didn't need it but it's still good to know he will be getting the extra help. If we're really lucky it will give enough stability that I can start looking for work as well.

Brook give me a buzz when you get here, heck if it is in october around the 16th you can even help me celebrate my 50th.

Things are not too good here at the moment, the missus stuffed up with her bills and I covered her, knowing she could get the rent money back to me in a week, only she didn't!

Then I am the bad guy for her not giving me the money to pay the rent!

I very nearly packed my bags and left.

Apart from that so far I have had 6 hrs of work with the new job, so it is not exactly raining cash but still it will help.

All this carry on at the moment about Kates being photographed topless and yet we have a nasty confrontation going on between China and Japan over a dispute re some uninhabited islands. Both sides have sent armed vessels into the area and I am not seeing anything about it on the news anywhere.

Then we have the riot in Sydney caused by a few radical idiots, but was it just a few? I mean if someone here said something nasty about Jesus in a film we would not see the same reaction not even a level of protesting like that.

The more Islam gets exposed to the world I think it is a case of the more we see how it has been corrupted from those ideals set out by Mohammed. Maybe Islam needs to take a good hard look at itself and then go back to the core beliefs spoken of in the Koran. Then again we could also say the same about most religions even Buddhism to be honest. Yes there are also many "Wiccans" out there with some pretty crazy beliefs also.

Anyway had a great weekend up at Mooroopna a little town just near Shepparton, We stayed with a friend who has a broken foot and did the gardening for her and also gave her a bit of company. She has been layed up for months now and few of her friends have even bothered to visit her. I hope at 60 something I am not in the same position.

gs - I'll be arriving on the 3rd and leaving on the 7th. I'm not sure how much free time I'm actually going to have 'cause there are a few people I have to see but I'll do my best :)

Wulfie - I hope so, had a bit of a horror year but things have to come good eventually right?

Archived