Who is the Harpy?

BANEE

• 2 months later...

Here's a crackpot theory I had after watching the last season...

What if the Harpy, (or son of the Harpy) is Daario? What if he is a plant, and a long con, meant to get Dany pregnant, so she produces an heir. With that done they have a child who is "part harpy, part dragon" and then they kill Dany.

That kind of betrayal feels like the right way to tie up loose ends, set the stage for Jorah's return, and Dany becoming pissed enough to just clear out.

Edit:

I'll be the first to admit that I fall asleep during the Dany chapters, so there may be some obvious reasons as to why this isn't possible.

I came to this idea more from a storytelling perspective, as to who would be the best candidate to affect Dany as a character and cause a shift in her relationships?

• 1 year later...

My money is on the Green Grace. As a powerful religious figure rooted in the old ways of the city, she's well placed with the noble families who were most wronged by the Daenerys yet also able appear to be above reproach. She's deep in the confidence of Daenerys et al, and strongly in support of the marriage to Hizdahr, who I would assume is a willing accomplice.

I can't really explain why, but my gut tells me that Skhahaz as the harpy would just be a twist for twist's sake. Not that Martin is above that kind of thing, but ever since the steps of Baelor's sept in the first book, people instinctively look to the unexpected surprise, not to what is more logical. For Skhahaz to be the Harpy, yet also command the people who are supposedly combating the Harpy, and to keep all those balls in the air simultaneously without tipping off any of the groups of freedmen in the city, nor any of the noble houses; it just seems like too much to me.

The Green Grace sounds likely - as a religious leader she is presumably well-connected to the ruling families, has her own extensive spy network on all levels of society through her priests/nuns/whatever it is they call them, and nobody ever seems to think that religious leaders could be the bad guys.

Hizhdar - I'm not so sure. If you were the head of The Big Conspiracy, wouldn't you try to stay in the background and move your little pawns around instead of getting a high-visibility job such as being Dany's husband? On the other hand, it all depends on how the Harpy is organized and run. Is it a sort of improptu organization made up of disgruntled nobles that all distrust each other? Then, Hizdhar probably can't find someone trustworthy enough to marry Dany and not use it to his own advantage. If it is an old, hierarchical organization of people who are not in it for their own advantage but to accomplish some greater goal, then he could remain in the background and still find somebody to marry Dany and use this to the advantage of the Harpy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Green Grace seems to be the most logical candidate. And Hizdahr is probably Harpy-allied. But, imo, the Harpy is not the true enemy of Dany in Meereen. It's Skahaz. There is no sense for him to be the Harpy but I believe he is the third faction - an enemy of both Dany and the Harpy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll admit - I skipped through much of Meereen on my first read, because it felt a bit dull and drawn out. But on my second & third read, I realized there was much more going on than I'd originally thought.

In my mind, there is NO doubt = THE GREEN GRACE IS THE HARPY and Hizdahr is nothing but her pawn.

I think the Shavepate is nothing more than he seems.... though he certainly has a bone to pick with some of the noble families. Eventually, I think the Green Grace will be exposed and the Shavepate will get rid of her and restore order to Meereen..... and be a good (yet tough) leader after Dany leaves..... hopefully soon!

IMO- the perfumed senechal is a red herring as far as the prophecies go, and probably one of the Green Graces little puppets as well. He'll get ousted as well.

I think there's a very good video around showing how the initial Sons of the Harpy and the second are different, eg there's a slightly different MO

First time round it was the Green Grace, but once the Pale Mare hits the Temples lose their influence and then someone else starts going crazy and the victims are slightly different

It's interestingly opposite to what's happening in KL, eg the Sparrows are gaining power and the Temple/Septons/High Sparrow are becoming more influential

Don't think it's the Shavepate, he's hiding behind a mask but he's not really making his dislike for the nobles all that much of a secret and a fairly straightforward desire for revenge, someone acting with a big plan based around accruing power would make a point of trying to distance themselves and look innocent Littlefinger style, and the Green Grace fits the bill

I always thought the Harpy and poisoner were the same person, but without good reason.

So the GG is the Harpy, she serves peace and preserving the culture of the city. She forces the marriage through the killings, it's the best she can get out of the situation that doesn't end in the city being totally torn apart, she has conceded that there's now a foreign queen and slavery is gone, but she gains practically everything else, and with the dragons locked up and the Queen being Westerosi and possibly set to go home one day the future may bring about a chance to set everything back the way it was if she's patient.

The Shavepate wants open war in the city, to crush and kill the nobility. Bit strange considering he's a noble himself but his desire if not his motives are self evident. If he was the Harpy he'd have broken the peace, that the peace wasn't broken suggests he's not. Why he didn't break the peace anyway suggests he's not really willing to kill his own men and he was probably banking on the Harpy breaking the peace anyway. So the marriage happens and things are looking ok for a lasting peace, not what he wants. So he poisons the locusts, presumably knowing Dany won't eat them, or if she does and dies perhaps no biggie, just means more control for him. The poison attempt he believes will be blamed on the Harpy/Hizdahr and this he hopes will provide him the go ahead to start an inner city war. But Barry and the other slaver cities stuff things up for him.

Archived