Crackpot: What if Rhaegar is the embodiment of all that is evil?

Where Boars Glow

So i have been thinking lately about Tywin Lanister and how he was able to keep the Red Wedding and several other wicked plots within plots secret.

What if Rhaegars plan to take the throne from his father included Tywin. What if he for religeous reasons (Prince who was Promised) or Love of Lyianna was actually complicent in what happened to his wife (Ala Henry VIII) He knew Elia couldn't have any more children. "The Dragon has three heads, there must be one more"

Barriston: "Able. That above all. Determined, deliberate, dutiful, single-minded".

This sounds more to me like Tywins way of thinking.

Jamie's fevor dreams Rhaegar tells him "I left my wife and children in your hands"

Jamie then replies something like I never thought he would hurt them.

Tywin i know doesn't bring house Lannister to the rebellion until after Rhaegars death. Maybe thats when the plan changed and Tywin hedged his bets by killing the children for Robert. Is it possible that Rhaegar wasn't this paragon we often hear characters speak of and instead meant to murder his wife so that he could have another legitamit child and fufill the prophecy he was obsessed with?

It's crackpot, but I like it.

I personally think that Rhaegar was motivated not out of love, but out of the usual Targ madness about his destiny - the prophecies of the AA / PTWP. He was willing to cast Elia aside and endanger, but for a woman (like Uther) ? That's the romantics' view, the simpler view. But I see something more, something deeper. Hubris in the crown prince, first that he could steal Lyanna and dump his wife, without repercussions, but perhaps second, that he was destined to father the AA or perhaps was somehow invincible due to the prophecy.

Did he call the tournament at Harrenhal because he thought it was central to his destiny ? He was likely making plans to depose his father, so why suddenly wreck all that by running off with some northern girl in that way? Why protect her with 3 of your best KIngsguard, at some faraway place, unless you thought she was the key to everything ?

We don't know. Dany's dreams about him give us a clue about Rhaegar and his focus on prophecy (which was perhaps no less mad than Aerys, in the end).

It's crackpot, but I like it.

I personally think that Rhaegar was motivated not out of love, but out of the usual Targ madness about his destiny - the prophecies of the AA / PTWP. He was willing to cast Elia aside and endanger, but for a woman (like Uther) ? That's the romantics' view, the simpler view. But I see something more, something deeper. Hubris in the crown prince, first that he could steal Lyanna and dump his wife, without repercussions, but perhaps second, that he was destined to father the AA or perhaps was somehow invincible due to the prophecy.

Did he call the tournament at Harrenhal because he thought it was central to his destiny ? He was likely making plans to depose his father, so why suddenly wreck all that by running off with some northern girl in that way? Why protect her with 3 of your best KIngsguard, at some faraway place, unless you thought she was the key to everything ?

We don't know. Dany's dreams about him give us a clue about Rhaegar and his focus on prophecy (which was perhaps no less mad than Aerys, in the end).

More and more when i read about him I think ZEALOT. I think he really was a kind of religeos fanatic and envisioned himself the key to his own religeon. I posted on someone elses theory how I think he may have grabed Lyanna as a kidnapping in the first place....but then like a child taken by a cult she started drinking the Koolaide and by the time Eddard got there to rescue her....he was also obcessed that this child she had birthed was AA or the Prince who was promised and made Ned promise to save him.

Maybe Rhaegar really is the Prince who was promised.....and Jon Snow is lightbringer born of the blood sacrifice of Lyanna.

I hope there's more between Lyanna and Rhaegar than Stockholm Syndrome.

You think the romance angle is more likely between a 27 year old man and a 15 year old girl who was whisk away from her family?

Again both are possible....but the more i use occam's razor on this...the more Rhaegar seems a bit nuts.

You think the romance angle is more likely between a 27 year old man and a 15 year old girl who was whisk away from her family?

Again both are possible....but the more i use occam's razor on this...the more Rhaegar seems a bit nuts.

By 'more between', I don't necesarily mean that they were in love, just that the idea of Lyanna being brainwashed by a pretty-boy prince runs counter to all I think I know of Lyanna (that she's a headstrong and intelligent individualist -- an earlier incarnation of Arya).

By 'more between', I don't necesarily mean that they were in love, just that the idea of Lyanna being brainwashed by a pretty-boy prince runs counter to all I think I know of Lyanna (that she's a headstrong and intelligent individualist -- an earlier incarnation of Arya).

I am with you.....but are you reffering to the same Arya who is currently being inducted into a cult? :)

So i have been thinking lately about Tywin Lanister and how he was able to keep the Red Wedding and several other wicked plots within plots secret.

What if Rhaegars plan to take the throne from his father included Tywin. What if he for religeous reasons (Prince who was Promised) or Love of Lyianna was actually complicent in what happened to his wife (Ala Henry VIII) He knew Elia couldn't have any more children. "The Dragon has three heads, there must be one more"

Barriston: "Able. That above all. Determined, deliberate, dutiful, single-minded".

This sounds more to me like Tywins way of thinking.

Jamie's fevor dreams Rhaegar tells him "I left my wife and children in your hands"

Jamie then replies something like I never thought he would hurt them.

Tywin i know doesn't bring house Lannister to the rebellion until after Rhaegars death. Maybe thats when the plan changed and Tywin hedged his bets by killing the children for Robert. Is it possible that Rhaegar wasn't this paragon we often hear characters speak of and instead meant to murder his wife so that he could have another legitamit child and fufill the prophecy he was obsessed with?

It seemed everyone went to automatic-like of Rhaegar (because he maybe Jon's daddy? because maybe he didn't rape Lyanna?) without considering things he did. He did some nasty, and we don't know tout about him. It puzzles me why so many people think he's wonderful.

I find this difficult to grasp simply honestly simply because other than Robert everyone seems to have an exceptional opinion of Rhaegar. What he did was shocking and uncharacteristic, maybe even selfish, but evil...nah. On both sides of the lines people think fondly of him, from Jamie to Ned to Jorah to Barristan to Cersi. They all give us insight into Rhaegar's true self and by their accounts I must conclude he is far from the embodiment of evil.

Rhaegar did not leave his children behind in kings landing, that was Aerys' command so Dorne would not join the rebellion. Rhaegar had no say in that.

Further, Rhaegar was 22-23 and Lyanna 14-15. Which btw is a smaller age limit than between Dany/ Drogo and Jaime/Brienne for instance.

Archived