From Pawn to Player: Rethinking Sansa XII

brashcandy

<snip>

Even though I appreciate the relationships between Asha/Qarl and Dany/Daario, a large part of me can't help but think that Martin and great understanding of female sexuality are not two things that go great together.

"Her cunt became the whole world". I officially nominate this as the worst line in the series. It's up there with "the sight of their arousal was arousing." Both were in Dance, a coincidence?

Even though I appreciate the relationships between Asha/Qarl and Dany/Daario, a large part of me can't help but think that Martin and great understanding of female sexuality are not two things that go great together.

"Her cunt became the whole world". I officially nominate this as the worst line in the series. It's up there with "the sight of their arousal was arousing." Both were in Dance, a coincidence?

I disagree. "The sight of their arousal was arousing" is probably one of the best lines ever in the English language. Though not necessarily for the reason GRRM meant.

I disagree. "The sight of their arousal was arousing" is probably one of the best lines ever in the English language. Though not necessarily for the reason GRRM meant.

It struck me as a bit of bad editing. But, I guess it's better than "The sight of their arousal really did it for her" so there's that. :)

EDIT: Because, fuck it.

Boo :(

I still don't understand what in that series sets so many people off. Many the part when he breaks her truck to keep her safe?

Can I just add here that this is another reason why I love Sandor's response when he hears of Sansa's escape? I mean, yes, he's concerned about her, and regretting his behaviour, but he also validates her actions and seems to be quite proud of her: "the little bird shit on the imp's head and flew off."

Sometimes it is better to just shut up. So, I did. I assure you it was not a post of great reason or insight.

Well, considering what I've seen of your posts, I must say you may be selling yourself a bit short. ;)

Boo :(

Can I just add here that this is another reason why I love Sandor's response when he hears of Sansa's escape? I mean, yes, he's concerned about her, and regretting his behaviour, but he also validates her actions and seems to be quite proud of her: "the little bird shit on the imp's head and flew off."

I hope my bit of sarcasm was apparent when it came to Twilight. I think those books are just awful.

It's not. That was part of the story synopsis that was leaked early on. :(

Wow, that....sucks. I guess the only thing that is similar to the series this is supposed to be a remake of is the names? If so.....WHY? Seems so silly. :dunno:

I agree with you about pretty boys. Maybe it's because I was a teenager in the late 70's and went through bodice ripper romances like crack, but I've imprinted on the rugged/slightly flawed types. I don't care to look at guys who are prettier than I am! And who look like they're going to be borrowing my makeup or something!

I don't like the more rapey bits in the old-school romance novels but I tend to like the heros and heroines, plot, research (like Roberta Gellis and Bertrice Small putting so much research and history into their romances), epic sweepingness - I'm glad so many are being reissued for Kindle even with derpy redesigned covers.

Is it an acquired taste? Most of my friends/family think I'm nuts for being attracted to the men I like. My mother jokes that I'll bring home a man with a face like a burst couch (sofa, for the Americans :cool4: ) all the time. I'm a sucker for scars and generally rough looking men. Then again, i wouldn't look twice at the boys my friends think are handsome.

Wow, that....sucks. I guess the only thing that is similar to the series this is supposed to be a remake of is the names? If so.....WHY? Seems so silly. :dunno:

I dunno. Maybe they're hoping to cash in on the cult following of the original? If so, I have bad news for them. Most of the fan reaction I've read has been negative.

I dunno. Maybe they're hoping to cash in on the cult following of the original? If so, I have bad news for them. Most of the fan reaction I've read has been negative.

That is the only reason I can think of as well. Sigh. :(

According to Cersei: "Robert had been handsome enough when they'd married...but his hair grew thick all over his body, and coarse around his sex."

Clearly, Robert's stunning success with his three trueborn children and loving, sexually satisfied wife suggests that hairy men....well, yeah.

Oh, and also, "Robert's hair grew thick all over his body, and coarse around his sex"?-- :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack: and :stillsick: :ack: and :ack:

From the hairlessness is where it's at category:

Asha: "Qarl was a smooth as she was..." (later) "..her cunt became the whole world."

Danerys: "Daario's chest was as smooth and hairless as her own..."

And later: "That night Daario took her every way a man can take a woman." :eek: :drool:

So hairless= manly it is!

P.S.-- More on the undeniable sexiness of King Bob:

"He had grown a thick, coarse beard to hide his many chins and the sag of the royal jowels, but nothing could hide his stomach or the dark circles beneath his eyes."

"And everyone is rich and fat and merry," he said, slapping his own ample girth.

"Robert sighed, wiped his mouth on the back of his had, and stood up."

"By the time the two reached the bottom of the steps, Robert was red faced and panting.

"The king stood on his feet, red faced and reeling..."

Everybody with me now: what. A. Stud.

Is it any wonder that, when the cold, unthinkably unnatural Cersei refuses to respond to his gentle, husbandly advances, that he speaks the following: "Cersei is lovely to look upon, to be sure...but cold. The way she guards her cunt, you'd think that she had all the gold of Casterly Rock hidden up there."

Indeed, given Robert's delightful personal appearance, what could be Cersei's problem! The poor lady clearly did not know what she was missing, poor dear....

Beauty is at viewer´s eyes.

Sansa didn´t see Joffrey´s wormy lips until she began to hate him.

Cersei was happy with Robert until at their wedding night when he pronounced Lyanna´s name instead of Cersei.

I believe she hated coarse hair due to her hate for Robert.

Instead when you love someone you love even her/his faults.

And I don´t think many of Middle Age women will be picky about backhair when they have hairy legs (unless at Dorne will be using a honey paste to pick them off).

Which made me remember that y'all didn't mention Rumplestilskin/Belle from Once Upon a Time, btw. They are the Beauty and the Beast of the show. And honestly, literally the only good thing about it.

Just thought I'd drop in to give more props to Rumbelle. Mr. Gold/Rumpelstilskin is awesome.

Also, I predict that SweetRobin will survive the series and grow into a capable adult and grateful ally for Sansa (after she saves him). We've already seen the beginning. So many fans seem to think that he will inevitably die because that's what all of the characters expect him to do. I was watching the 'death and return of superman' youtube clip and was reminded that the most likely thing to happen in any fictional narrative is whatever character arc works best for the author. In this case, I think it's the redemption of SweetRobin by way of Sansa.

There is a French term that describes this quite well, but I'm to lazy to do the needed googling. But, the idea is that a flaw or physical imperfection adds to and makes a person beautiful, rather than someone managing to be beautiful/handsome despite the flaws.

It applies to Sandor Clegane, still attractive to many despite half his face being burned off. Or, that many woman find Jaime attracted once he loses a hand and looks aged after spending so long as a prisoner. Men with scars, crooked noses from being broken, or weather-beaten looks can all be considered very sexy, even though they are not traditionally handsome or pretty.

Sadly for poor Jorah, back hair is not attractive under any definition.

I know nothing about the show but a few things about Hollywood. I think George needs to prepare himself for some disappointment.

I personally like a craggy, lived-in face on a man, more than a handsome pretty-boy look. I would always take Charlton Heston over Cary Grant, though they were both fine actors.

Our Hound's appeal is something of the Byronic hero, the snarling scarred man who has contempt for polite society; but adheres to his own code. Of course, I'm not sure if poor Sandor is truly a hero; though there is no doubt that he is a compelling and interesting character. I have the feeling that Sandor is quite an emotional mess under all that posturing and growling.

Actually the new Vincent doesn't live in the tunnels under NYC.He lives in a loft with his buddy and they pass the time drinking beer and playing Wii.

I know y'all can't see me, but my eyes have damned near rolled out of my head.

I loved the original Beauty and the Beast series. The idea of Kristin Kreuk playing Catherine, and Vincent living the high life in NYC is already turning me off. The original Vincent was an outcast; and (to me) very attractive physically as well as spiritually; and the way the actors expressed their love in eyes and gestures was very credible and powerful.

Being attractive is different than beautiful. I prefer an attractive one over a beautiful. Normally attractive person has a physical "defect" that makes that person more interesting, or maybe has a personality that overstand the less attractive or plain physic.

about: Beauty and Beast original show I had forgot that Linda Hamilton was Beauty. But most important: Hellboy is the Beast, no? He is a good actor, with a powerful physic. But he isn't beutiful neither attractive to my stands. It is a pity that he has to proof his acting skills thru masks.

Archived