From Pawn to Player: Rethinking Sansa XII

brashcandy

Thanks, brash. I've been lurking in these threads for a while now and avoiding actually joining or posting, and a few days ago I just went "YOU KNOW WHAT? THE KINGSGUARD DOES NOT FLEE," and here I am. :laugh:

I should have done X before I let Y happen, that's a figure of speech. I should have done it myself before I let him do it. As in something bad. As in he was talking about Tyrion, not himself.

Sandy's obviously really sore about the Lannister marriage (duh), especially since he's got no way of knowing that Tyrion didn't force Sansa to consummate. Marriage+lack of deets=ragemurderrampageofdoom.

Have fun with that, Tyrion.

Sandor was Sansa's protector for her entire KL stay. He saved her from the creepy mob, and he did his best to try and shield her from Joff's creepier ways. I think learning about the Lannister marriage would have triggered some major guilt and a sense of failure. And, of course, his lack of information as to the state of Sansa's maidenhood... Yeowch. He probably thinks that Tyrion's as bad as a second mob in that respect. His reputation precedes him, and I expect Sandor would hear some things as well.

If I were Sandor, I might be too guilty/scared to go find Sansa after all that, but this being Sandor, who is a destructive, courageous alcoholic who may or may not be alive, I doubt this will be the case.

We've been slightly off topic for a while, so I'll just agree to disagree with you James, especially since we're not making headway in this argument. The new thread will be started in a few minutes and I'll be reposting the arguments made by Beets. Thank you.

"Me la tendría que haber llevado", the Spanish translation of "I should have taken her" leaves no doubts about what Sandor meant when he said that. It clearly means "take her away" and has no sexual undertones or implications whatsoever.

So,this choice of words means the traslator's interpretation of "I should have taken her" is "take her away", and nothing else.

The translator may be wrong but I doubl it. She knows GRR's work really well as she's been her translator for years, from the fist book in the series, and he seems very happy with her work. In fact, she's an incredibly talented translator.

Oh, thank you so much for this!

We've been slightly off topic for a while, so I'll just agree to disagree with you James, especially since we're not making headway in this argument. The new thread will be started in a few minutes and I'll be reposting the arguments made by Beets. Thank you.

Ok.

Getting back on topic:

HI BEETS! :cheers:

Yes it would be a great thread, and let's all solemnly swear that if such a thread was created we would not enter shouting: "but what about female exploitation in the home?!?" :rolleyes:

:bowdown:

Being exploited is NOT a gender issue. Because except for a fraction of a fraction, it is a universal.

And for 100th time, no one on this board men aren't exploited.

We agree with you.

We just said we are talking about a specific type of exploitation. Slavery exists today in multiple forms. But if I read an article on sex slavery, it does not me the author is denying domestic slavery exists. It means the author is talking about sex slavery.

:bowdown:

And for 100th time, no one on this board men aren't exploited.

We agree with you.

We just said we are talking about a specific type of exploitation. Slavery exists today in multiple forms. But if I read an article on sex slavery, it does not me the author is denying domestic slavery exists. It means the author is talking about sex slavery.

But if the argument was that slavery is a gender issue? (Or to get it to a real life parallel with this real life argument, if the argument was that slavery was a race issue?)

And btw, in case you missed it, not everyone 'agrees' with us, unless I missed the thrust of the 'best fighter'/enpowering point raised.

Hello, James. :laugh:

I look forward to the new thread. I love reading the old ones, and it'll be nice to be part of the discussion instead of a random guest lurker. These books are so fun to analyze.

They are that. If GRRM actually put the thoughts into thr text that we read into them, we're amazingly lucky to have gotten past book II.

Archived