Arya vs Sansa Thread

Keirut

I'd like to start an Arya vs Sansa thread, 'cause I'm new to this forum and I've never seen one.

Imo, Arya is better. She's the only tommyboish character I've ever liked. Her strong will, even being only 10 or around that, made her one of my favourite characters, and maybe my favourite POV character since AFfC.

The episode I like most of her is when che fights ,along with the Hound, with Gregor's men in that inn. Once the fight is over, the Hound tells her to finish that squire she wounded before. I was thinking" Here we are, another episode where a girl will cry and the man will make the work". And then she stabs him. Her ruthlessness surprised me, in a very good way.

On the other hand, I can't stand Sansa since she revealed Eddard's plane to Cersei. I find it's like treason. And her crying really annoys me.

Oh boy, you've woken the dragons, released the krakens and called all direwolves all at the same moment.

I prefer neither of them. I can relate the most to Sansa however.

Just saying; good luck with this, I'm not starting this one, I'm out.

Maybe posters can make an effort to keep a thread free from hyperbole and personal attacks and stick to a calm discussion about the actual novels. It´s unlikely, but let´s not give up just yet.

Somewhat on topic:

I agree that the Arya + Sandor fight scene was extremely powerful. Although for me it was more of a realisation of just how damaged Arya had actually been during her trials and hardships. To me it felt like she let so much fear, pain, anger and trauma out in that one scene, something I hadn´t really seen her do despite everything she has endured. She is after all a very young girl who has suffered more than most people suffer during a lifetime

- Edited for spelling -

As characters I can see how people can relate to Sansa and therefor like her more. Arya is in a situation completely unrealistic, making some people unable to relate to her, and therefor liking her less. However, Sansa is probably one of the dumbest characters in the book. Arya is able to act quickly, decisively, and intelligently. Sansa cannot, she has made the wrong decision in almost every situation she was placed in. Their both very strong women and are going to play a big role in the game of thrones, but Arya is simply better.

As characters I can see how people can relate to Sansa and therefor like her more. Arya is in a situation completely unrealistic, making some people unable to relate to her, and therefor liking her less. However, Sansa is probably one of the dumbest characters in the book. Arya is able to act quickly, decisively, and intelligently. Sansa cannot, she has made the wrong decision in almost every situation she was placed in. Their both very strong women and are going to play a big role in the game of thrones, but Arya is simply better.

It's not that Arya is completely unrealistic to me, that's not the reason I relate to her less than I can relate to Sansa. I'm just really like Sansa, it astonishes me when I think about it. I'm just far less like Arya than I'm like Sansa, that's all.

Saying Sansa is dumb is kinda.. Dumb. She beats Arya at every subject save for mathematics. ;) As to the rest, what did you expect of her? Kill the Lannisters and claim the Iron Throne for herself? Arya couldn't have done it much better than Sansa did in King's Landing. Heck, Arya would be a prisoner the whole time and wouldn't get freedom of the castle. I would find it very surprising if Joffrey let her live. Sansa couldn't survive in Arya's situation, but Arya couldn't 'survive' in Sansa's situation either.

I know what I said at the beginning, yes. But I'm out anyway.

Why do we have to pit female characters against each other? This is a disturbing trend in pop culture. Only one female is allowed to be exulted, you can never have two or more. Why does one have to be "better"?

One doesen't HAVE to be better, but you will prefer one of them anyway.You always do, even unconsciously.

On the other hand, I can't stand Sansa since she revealed Eddard's plane to Cersei. I find it's like treason. And her crying really annoys me.

Ugh, and this. You know who else cannot abide the wailing of women? Joffrey. But how stupid of Sansa, to cry when her father is decapitated in front of her, or when she's sexually and physically abused, or when she's forced into a marriage, or when she hears the news that her last remaining family members are all dead. I mean get a grip right? :stillsick:

It's not that Arya is completely unrealistic to me, that's not the reason I relate to her less than I can relate to Sansa. I'm just really like Sansa, it astonishes me when I think about it. I'm just far less like Arya than I'm like Sansa, that's all.

Saying Sansa is dumb is kinda.. Dumb. She beats Arya at every subject save for mathematics. ;) As to the rest, what did you expect of her? Kill the Lannisters and claim the Iron Throne for herself? Arya couldn't have done it much better than Sansa did in King's Landing. Heck, Arya would be a prisoner the whole time and wouldn't get freedom of the castle. I would find it very surprising if Joffrey let her live. Sansa couldn't survive in Arya's situation, but Arya couldn't 'survive' in Sansa's situation either.

I think she hasn't been as quick as Arya was. Arya managed to flee from KL, why Sansa didn't?

Ugh, and this. You know who else cannot abide the wailing of women? Joffrey. But how stupid of Sansa, to cry when her father is decapitated in front of her, or when she's sexually and phisically abused, or when she's forced into a marriage, or when she hears the news that her last remaining family members are all dead. I mean get a grip right? :stillsick:

I would cry my sh*t out if I passed throught what Sansa passed. But she spends over a year( a Year!) in KL. She could avoid some tears. And, for example, why the hell was she crying when she was, at least, fleeing from KL?

The problem here is you are comparing the situations as if they could possibly happen to the other character. Arya would never have told Cersei about Ned's plan and therefore wouldn't have been in Sansa's situation. Likewise, if somehow Arya was manipulated into telling Cersei, Sansa wouldn't have been able to flee, and she would stick out like a sore thumb anywhere she went.

Why do we have to pit female characters against each other? This is a disturbing trend in pop culture. Only one female is allowed to be exulted, you can never have two or more. Why does one have to be "better"?

This, so much--it is one reason why I dislike Maggi the frog so much.

It is true that Arya has had lots of help on her many adventures. Let's just get that out of the way. Syrio, Jaquen, Yoren, etc But she has also been quite pro-active (some would say too pro-active) in escaping from Harrenhal, forcing Jaquen into Weasel Soup, surviving in Flea Bottom, etc......

You can bring up people like Syrio if you want, that's fine, but the reason that he was in her story to begin with was because of Ned seeing that fierceness in her. If she was meek and mild like Sansa, someone like Syrio would never have been in her circle.

The bottom line is Arya spends less time feeling sorry for herself and way more time doing something about it than Sansa does, and that is why many people like her better.

I like them both. At first I didn't really like Sansa, but as the books went on I started to warm up to her character and to appreciate her story arc. I would say I like them both equally, maybe Arya a tiny bit more becaue I find her chapters more engaging at the moment. That could change in the next book though, only time will tell. I think they are both strong in different ways. Like stated before, I don't think Arya could have handled being imprisoned at KL as well as Sansa and I don't think Sansa could have survived everything that Arya has been through. I hope they (and the rest of the Starks/Jon) are reunited some day. I can also understand why someone would prefer either one of them to the other, its all just a matter of opinion.

I also wouldn't want Sansa to become more like Arya or vice versa, what makes them special is that they are so different. If every female character was like Arya then that would be unrealistic and if every female character was like Sansa that would be unrealistic. I appreciate them both.

I would cry my sh*t out if I passed throught what Sansa passed. But she spends over a year( a Year!) in KL. She could avoid some tears. And, for example, why the hell was she crying when she was, at least, fleeing from KL?

Because she had just seen Joffrey gasping for breath and his face turning purple? I know she hated him, but she doesn't enjoy watching people suffer. I don't think you understand basic things about how characters function. And I have come to appreciate both characters for their merits even though I initially enjoyed Arya more. I don't even know if this is a troll thread anymore...

Archived