Skipping Daenerys chapters

Guess who's back

• 4 weeks later...

You might be missing out on a surprise. The house of the undying chapter seemed a lot better in the book than in the TV show, and Dany's storyline seems quite different in ACoK than in the TV show. I know what you mean though, I sort of feel the same way about Sansa (she's sort of a drip and uninteresting character to my tastes) but just because the character isn't always exhilarating 100% of the time doesn't mean that cool stuff can't happen to them! Sansa's chapters were interesting to read because of all the people around her, and the way she reacted to harsh events. Though the "I love his grace with all my heart" stuff did get a little tiresome :)

I would never skip a chapter of any character. To miss out on huge chunks of a series for something as petty and trivial as simply not liking a certain character very much? Um, no. Never.

Skipping chapters?? :stunned:

/runs back to General Chat

Lol completely agree, Never understood the people who do it. Maybe i could see skipping chapters on a re-read of something but even still i don't do it.

With books like aSoIaF and Kingkiller Chronicles, LotR - just about anything, really, there are always chapters I'm tempted to flip past (on a **reread** only.) But invariably I'll find something to catch my interest and I'll end up reading the whole thing.

• 1 month later...

Ive never had this problem, since Dany is my favorite character, and I always look forward to her chapters. While I think her chapters are less interesting than in GoT, its probably because GoT ended her arc on a pretty big climax. So I just have to get used to not a whole lot of things happening in her chapters.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I just skip Daenerys chapters?

I don't think that's a good idea. There are other chapters that are boring also but better to endure each one of them than pick only those that are interesting. ASOIAF is not a compilation of individual stories, but one massive story being told by different POV characters.

It doesn't look like she will change anything in Westeros. Started hating her after she basically killed Drago and lost chance to become queen of seven kingdoms. Now I don`t care about her faith and she just bore me.

It doesn't look like she will change anything in Westeros now 'coz she's still stuck in Essos. There are a lot of reasons to hate a character but to skip his/her story entirely because of it is such a wonder. The author writes a story he wants to tell, not to please anybody. And like what he said, if you don't like them, write your own.

I`ve watched 2. season of Game of thrones tv series, could that be enough to know everything about her?

The show is just an adaptation of the books and even if the showrunners keep saying they want to keep it as true to the books, it's not. Show Dany and book Dany have differences, same to the other characters of the show and books.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stunned, too. LOL!

Dany's story was riveting to me, so having others say her chapters are boring just strikes me as really strange.

The only chapters I had a hard time slogging through (and even that is too strong a word) were the early Ironborn chapters. I could only take so much of the knife dancing between fingers, HAR! piratey-type drivel, etc., before my eyes began to glaze. But I soldiered on! I was glad to finally land on The Reader as at least **one** character that broke out of the stereotype.

It's funny, but I find the Ironborn easier to take in the HBO series than I did in the book.

Can I just skip Daenerys chapters? It doesn't look like she will change anything in Westeros. Started hating her after she basically killed Drago and lost chance to become queen of seven kingdoms. Now I don`t care about her faith and she just bore me.

I`ve watched 2. season of Game of thrones tv series, could that be enough to know everything about her?

P.s Sorry for my bad English.. I`m reading the books in Latvian language.

Deanerys chapters are by far, the most boring of all the Characters, I’ve been tempted to skip her chapters, but i kept on reading. In-fact, I am currently reading one of her chapters now, it is the second chapter in ADWD, I've stopped in the middle of the chapter, my eyes were getting heavy.

• 2 weeks later...

Many people complain about Daenerys chapters in ADWD, but I love them. I actually thought her hardest to swallow chapters were in ACOK.

With that said, I think that you really can read these books any way you want. You can read them in parts, you dont have to go in order. Obviously you and I have a different opinion on Daenerys and if she will become Queen of Seven Kingdoms or not, but I can tell you--you can surely skip her chapters if you wish to. It might be kind of interesting to read that way, and only hear about her until she makes an appearance.

This question has been asked before and people always say, Oh no you can't you can't! But you can really do anything you want. And I promise you you can leave out Daenerys chapters. You might miss some big reveals until they are mentioned by other characters, but you can always go back and read all her chapters in order at once.

Actually I would recommend this to people who don't like Daenerys, who feel her chapters break the momentum of the story. Just skip them, and go back later if you wish.

what was wrong with acok dany? her house of undeath storyline is way less crazy than her adwd!

Many people complain about Daenerys chapters in ADWD, but I love them. I actually thought her hardest to swallow chapters were in ACOK.

I had no problem reading Daenerys in aDwD, but her CoK chapters were hard for me too.

• 2 weeks later...

If you going to read the book at least read it, when reading a book it's about everything all the little details if you don't read them and when you come to a future book and there is a line which is tied to the pages what you have skipped your going to be like 'what i don't remember reading that' and it wont be the same.

Yeah if you are going to read a book, especially ones as complex and rich as ASoIaF, why you would skip chapters that could provide vital information later on is odd, even if you didn't like a character. Yeah i found most of Dany's chapters a bit tedious the last couple of books and found myself screaming (get to Westeros already!!!) in my head. Seems her thought process always gets drawn to prophecies and threats of curses....or Daario, so she just kind of frustrates me, but I wouldn't dream of missing a detail that goes on in this world.

Archived