Skipping Daenerys chapters

Guess who's back

Yeah. I pretty much felt like doing the same in ASoS especially after she conquered Astapor. The remaining chapters of her reeked of real filler material. Only towards the end of ADWD does her story really pick up any real interest for me.

I have read AGOT and ACOK so far and I loved every Dany chapter. When I read, I couldn't wait till the next chapter of hers. I personally thought they were too few and too spread out (2-3 extra chapters wouldn't have hurt).

The House Of The Undying chapter, well, that was amazing :bowdown:

I always think that you cheat yourself if you skip parts of a book. If you think you'll skip parts of the book, then maybe the book isn't for you. Funnily enough, I find Jon's story in the show a bit of a drag (not that I fast-forward them, though), but his story in the book is much better. Who knows, maybe Dany's story in the books will be better than your expectations, but you won't know unless you read them. So, best get cracking and plough on. :)

I always think that you cheat yourself if you skip parts of a book. If you think you'll skip parts of the book, then maybe the book isn't for you. Funnily enough, I find Jon's story in the show a bit of a drag (not that I fast-forward them, though), but his story in the book is much better. Who knows, maybe Dany's story in the books will be better than your expectations, but you won't know unless you read them. So, best get cracking and plough on. :)

:agree:

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't recomend skipping ANY POV chapters, especilly Daenerys'. Here's why...

Daenerys chapters are unique in the fact that they give us glimpses of the exotic cultures of the east, showcasing the ruins of fallen cities, the wonders of Qarth and The Jade Sea as well as the first introduction of magic; they go MUCH more into magic in the books, plus we get some interesting new characters. But you knew all of this already, I assume.

What you really should be reading Daenerys' chapters for is to experience the amazingness of The House Of The Undying. I won't spoil it here, but quite simply; it is probably one of the best parts in the entire series, possibly THE best. The show didn't show a tenth of what goes down in that chapter. So much is forshadowed and explained and--well, it's deffinetly my favorite part, and I'm currently halfway through AFFC.

But aside from all that; Martin wrote those chapters for a reason. He's feeding us this infromation for a reason. So I stress that you just follow along and enjoy the ride, because you never know what you might miss. :dunno:

Many people complain about Daenerys chapters in ADWD, but I love them. I actually thought her hardest to swallow chapters were in ACOK.

With that said, I think that you really can read these books any way you want. You can read them in parts, you dont have to go in order. Obviously you and I have a different opinion on Daenerys and if she will become Queen of Seven Kingdoms or not, but I can tell you--you can surely skip her chapters if you wish to. It might be kind of interesting to read that way, and only hear about her until she makes an appearance.

This question has been asked before and people always say, Oh no you can't you can't! But you can really do anything you want. And I promise you you can leave out Daenerys chapters. You might miss some big reveals until they are mentioned by other characters, but you can always go back and read all her chapters in order at once.

Actually I would recommend this to people who don't like Daenerys, who feel her chapters break the momentum of the story. Just skip them, and go back later if you wish.

What I do. Actually read it once straight through, then pick a POV and read that. I have skipped a lot of Dany chapters. Reading them all at once is best.

I would say a book is to be read from page 1 to the end. I personally do not skip pages of such a good series. Daenerys's chapters are meant to show her progression as a character. When we read of her for the first time, she is a subdued little girl to her brother, rightful king of the Seven Kingdom but her journey with the Dothraki and her dragons is necessery to understand all the subtility of the character,especially if you read the books for the first time.

The HBO series, even if excellent, have a lot of differences with the books. I would say that the books have a life of their own and are to be treated as a whole just like the TV series.

Dude! Her chapters suck. I dont think her character has many evil-related hate-able traits but just the sheer boring-ness of her chapters makes me dislike her.

I have to agree. I love Danni at 1st then once Dorgo was killed and all she kept repeating over & over again to those who would dare tell her NO. She would yell " I AM THE MOTHER OF DRAGONS & I WILL DESTROY YOU/ or the every famous IT IS MY BIRTHRIGHT, blah blah blah.

After about the 3rd time is said this, I have been liking her even less. She now comes off as a spoiled brat not getting her way. I don't skip her chapters but I really don't look forward to them at all. I don't see her as a badass at all just a Brat with Dragons

I would say a book is to be read from page 1 to the end. I personally do not skip pages of such a good series. Daenerys's chapters are meant to show her progression as a character. When we read of her for the first time, she is a subdued little girl to her brother, rightful king of the Seven Kingdom but her journey with the Dothraki and her dragons is necessery to understand all the subtility of the character,especially if you read the books for the first time.

The HBO series, even if excellent, have a lot of differences with the books. I would say that the books have a life of their own and are to be treated as a whole just like the TV series.

Win! I couldn't agree more.

I would say a book is to be read from page 1 to the end.

:bowdown: Absofreakin'lutely.

This is baffling to me. I find Dany's chapters some of the best in the entire series.

:agree: Not only her chapters, all chapters are the best even those I find boring the first time. :D

• 2 weeks later...

There are many authors who would disagree with you...although I am glad to hear you are enjoying the series! Some people have difficulty switching over to her chapters, from what I can gather, because of the dramatic change in setting and the change in pace from the action taking place in Westeros.

While I would never suggest skipping parts of a book, truly good books can be read in any order. ASOIAF seems to be structured like many novels coming together to make an epic, so while I would never suggest reading through, say, all the Tyrion chapters on a first read, I can't think of anything in ACOK that would be spoiled from reading all the Daenerys chapters through at once.

There are many authors who would disagree with you...although I am glad to hear you are enjoying the series! Some people have difficulty switching over to her chapters, from what I can gather, because of the dramatic change in setting and the change in pace from the action taking place in Westeros.

While I would never suggest skipping parts of a book, truly good books can be read in any order. ASOIAF seems to be structured like many novels coming together to make an epic, so while I would never suggest reading through, say, all the Tyrion chapters on a first read, I can't think of anything in ACOK that would be spoiled from reading all the Daenerys chapters through at once.

That's really not true. I would question the complexity of a book's plot if you could pick it up anywhere and have it make sense. Certainly you would have a very hard time doing so with any of ASOIAF save for Dany and possibly Jon.

Books are supposed to be read in a certain order, usually page 1 to the end.

That's really not true. I would question the complexity of a book's plot if you could pick it up anywhere and have it make sense. Certainly you would have a very hard time doing so with any of ASOIAF save for Dany and possibly Jon.

Books are supposed to be read in a certain order, usually page 1 to the end.

The notion that a book can be read in any chapter order you desire is strange to say the least. One of the few that really can be read that way and is written with that in mind is Dictionary of the Khazars, a novel in the form of a lexicon, if you can wrap your head around the very idea.

Although I have characters and chapters I prefer, I'd never consider skipping parts of ASoIaF.

(protar, you seem to agree with me, this thread is specifically about Dany chapters!)

I will admit the idea was foreign to me at first, too. Please keep an open mind...and wait until you get to books 4 and 5! There are lists available for you to read their chapters so that they are presented as a sequential order of events, which is not how they are presented in the books. How does the complexity of the plot sound now :) What I am suggesting with Dany is no more than what GRRM has done himself with the viewpoint characters of AFFC and ADWD.

Novels are structured in that each chapter is like a short story, moving the action forward in small events towards a greater whole. ASOIAF is structured like many novels set in the same world under various points of view to tell an epic. Because Daenerys is so far removed from the rest of Westeros, and the actions in her story do not directly affect the other POV characters and vice versa,

you should have no trouble reading them all the way through together if that's what you feel like doing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read AGOT and ACOK so far and I loved every Dany chapter. When I read, I couldn't wait till the next chapter of hers. I personally thought they were too few and too spread out (2-3 extra chapters wouldn't have hurt).

The House Of The Undying chapter, well, that was amazing :bowdown:

Oh yes, 100% agreement. :drool: :bowdown:

Archived