Never written from Robert's POV?

koroleaa

I'm about half way through GOT and I've noticed that Martin never writes from the POV of King Robert. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am curious as to why this is? Does anyone know if Martin ever cleared this up? Because the King is a fairly major character, and it would be interesting to see the story from his perspective, for example to see if deep inside he knows about his wife and her brother, what he thinks of Gendry, etc. And Martin doesn't seem to have a problem writing from characters' POV that will eventually die, so I'm finding it strange he wouldn't provide us insight into King Robert's mind..

A lot of major characters don't have a POV : Robb, Tywin, Littlefinger, Varys and so forth.

I don't think there's much going on in Robert's mind in GoT, his chapters would probably be something like

*whores* *drinks* *reminisces about Lyanna* *gets depressed* *whores and drinks s'more*

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of major characters don't have a POV : Robb, Tywin, Littlefinger, Varys and so forth.

I don't think there's much going on in Robert's mind in GoT, his chapters would probably be something like

*whores* *drinks* *reminisces about Lyanna* *gets depressed* *whores and drinks s'more*

My thoughts exactly LOL

Ha ha. I would get so bored reading Robert's chapter. He is so predictable.

I think that this is a nice aspect of the POV. We always have some people near important persons so we know what these poeple do but we do not exactly know what they are thinking. This makes it very interesting in my opinion. As above mentioned characters like Robb, Littlefinger etc. have no POV but there is always some POV characters by them if we should know something important.

Thanks for all your feedback guys, the further I got into the book the more I realized how monotonic and unnecessary Robert's POV would be. Lost Direwolf sums it up best for me hahaha. Plus some characters, like Cersei, don't seem to need a chapter from their perspective because they're pretty easy to understand and what the others say about them is enough to give us a good idea of what's going on..

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I think anything

Boring, and a bit sad. He's only happy when he's forgetting what he's become. It's precisely his wasted, aimless strength that always made him strike me as one of the saddest, most haunted of the characters in the story.

His

drunken, pointless death

is very unhappy, and very fitting.

Archived