the wall

slayer420

• 2 months later...

A long time ago, Stannis Baratheon rode North to catch a few White Walkers for breakfast. He rode into a thick ice and hail storm stretching as far as his eye could see, the thickest storm mankind and Otherkind had ever see. Stannis looked at the storm angrily and it froze in place.

Today that storm is known as the Wall.

A long time ago, Stannis Baratheon rode North to catch a few White Walkers for breakfast. He rode into a thick ice and hail storm stretching as far as his eye could see, the thickest storm mankind and Otherkind had ever see. Stannis looked at the storm angrily and it froze in place.

Today that storm is known as the Wall.

Well actually, the giants of the haunted forest and their mammoths have a far keener sense of smell than men. So for centuries they were plagued by the foul odors of the Stan-fanatics' bullshit carried north by the winds of Ship Breaker Bay. So one day when they finally couldn't stand it any more, they began to dig a giant latrine ditch to cover the stench up a bit. And during the centuries it filled up and flowed over but as the shit froze, it just piled up instead. Bud the Others, being cleanly creatures shunned this monstrous pile of dung, and was therfore unable to enter into the realms of men. The pile also made the area south of it the most fertile soil in all the Seven Kingdoms, earning it the name "the Gift".

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, I'm new here.

I'm still a little confused about the First Men vs. the Andals, but I thought the Wall was built some time in between, is that true? And I also thought it was a Stark - Bran the Builder? Is there any indication that there has been a real engagement (fight/war/anything) between man and Others in the past? or was it just the Others killing men?

Hello guys, I'm new here.

I'm still a little confused about the First Men vs. the Andals, but I thought the Wall was built some time in between, is that true? And I also thought it was a Stark - Bran the Builder? Is there any indication that there has been a real engagement (fight/war/anything) between man and Others in the past? or was it just the Others killing men?

You'll need to read all the books to get your answers, (I don't want to spoil the books for you). :)

The books say nothing about it, other than offering a legend that the Wall was raised by Bran the Builder - a legend which GRRM himself has warned is not reliable. There are also references to magic being involved. As to the Others, essentially Old Nan's story of the Last Hero is what you get and we're not told how that ended.

In short, not only is the hard onformation on the Wall missing from the books, but the fact that so much has been deliberately held back suggests its significant, and therefore I'd be wary of expecting anything substantial to emerge in the World of Ice and Fire since that would be a massive spoiler for what's to come.

Archived