Where is Stannis camped at the end of ADWD?

Sharf

Asha references an island with wierwoods as a location to kill Theon, and it is mentioned that Stannis's camp is "a few miles from Winterfell."

Can anyone else provide specifics around the exact village he's camped in? His location seems pretty significant in predicting whether or not Ramsays claims in the red letter could be true.

I don't think we are meant to know at all. In fact this is the point. I thought it was really clever writing because we are seeing the fog of war from both Bolton and Stannis camps and still know barely more than they do. This blindness creates a real sense of tension in each of those chapters. The bits of intelligence which we have don't illuminate anything and the pink letter is fantastic as it provokes so many questions as to what happened. The first question being: "Is the letter legitimate?"

The two armies could be very close and have no idea because of the snow/storm conditions. Then there's the Umbers and Manderly's who we think are switching sides. It's a bloody brilliant and completely maddening cliffhanger.

There is nothing on the map or in the text that gives a strong clue as to location. (Unless Stannis is waaay off course).

I can accept that Ramsay's letter may be real, but I doubt it. I think it's more likely he's tortured some information out of Mance and the rest is just empty bragging. He assumes that Theon and Jeyne are at the wall, and perhaps Jeyne will make it there, but Stannis will likely hold onto Theon a bit longer, if only to have someone who knows Winterfell well in order to mount an attack. Stannis isn't stupid. He'll know the value of Theon, at least where it comes to invading Winterfell.

I don't think its really that important to know where he's located, but Bright Blue Eyes' estimations is probably pretty accurate. I don't think we'll see the lake on a map, as I don't expect it to be very big.

I am curious as to what Crowsfood Umber is doing. I know he set his trap outside of Winterfell, but are his few hundred (old and young) men going to fight the Freys and Manderlays, or are they going to retreat to Stannis?

I don't think its really that important to know where he's located, but Bright Blue Eyes' estimations is probably pretty accurate. I don't think we'll see the lake on a map, as I don't expect it to be very big.

I am curious as to what Crowsfood Umber is doing. I know he set his trap outside of Winterfell, but are his few hundred (old and young) men going to fight the Freys and Manderlays, or are they going to retreat to Stannis?

They aren't there to fight, only to cause trouble. They probably are the same ones that are beating the drums all day scaring Rooses' men and digging pit traps. Think of them as skirmish troops or diversionary saboteurs.

I don't think we are meant to know at all. In fact this is the point. I thought it was really clever writing because we are seeing the fog of war from both Bolton and Stannis camps and still know barely more than they do. This blindness creates a real sense of tension in each of those chapters. The bits of intelligence which we have don't illuminate anything and the pink letter is fantastic as it provokes so many questions as to what happened. The first question being: "Is the letter legitimate?"

The two armies could be very close and have no idea because of the snow/storm conditions. Then there's the Umbers and Manderly's who we think are switching sides. It's a bloody brilliant and completely maddening cliffhanger.

There is nothing on the map or in the text that gives a strong clue as to location. (Unless Stannis is waaay off course).

So true. Well written btw. (your post)

Archived