Sympathy For Joffrey

Azureguy

i think i saw a interview where George says he wanted people to feel for Joffrey.

me on the other hand jumped up, spun in circles, and did my little celebration dance

I took the RW hard :frown5:

Joffrey had actually no part in the RW, he didn't know it was going to happen. It is expressly stated through Merrett Frey and others that the seed of the idea was planted by Tywin Lannister and Lord Walder Frey but the execution of the massacre was the work of Roose Bolton and Black Walder Frey.

Joffrey's death wasn't brutal enough, but the thought of Joffrey choking, coughing a fit of rage and gouging out chunks of his neck make me smile. I have never felt any sympathy to Joffrey.It's not possible to, he had no redeeming features aside from being "tall and strong" for his age.

But he was very tall and strong. And handsome. And he was gentle to Sansa :frown5: Aw, poor boy. I wish he had survived.

Tyrion was quite enjoying the sight of the choking brat rolling on the floor.

I just wonder why he spilled the wine (evidence) in the floor if he didn't know it was poisoned?

Because he figured it was poison and he didn't mind - so thought he would help whoever did it by disposing of the evidence, then of course, didn't realize it would back fire on him.

I wish Joffrey had died in battle though, or been injured actually doing some of his own dirty work, a real battle, where he actually had to be as brave as his empty bravado. He needed taking down a giant peg. Instead this happened to Jaime, who was something of a sociopath himself when two handed.

I don't feel sympathy for him because he was a little so and so, but I can understand why he's like that. Firstly he might have some sort of psychopaphy disorder due to him being created by incest, (but Tommen and Myrcella aren't psychopaphic.) Also throughout AGoT he is belittled by his "father" ("You let a little girl disarm you!"), so he feels in adequate to this once great warrior, so he feels that men should tough, the most masciline, he's still trying to impress his father(s). This makes hime some sort of tragic character in a way.

Can't say I feel sympathy, but I see where he comes from. Poor parental figures, everybody giving him that sense of entitlement for being the king's son, and then hints of something wrong with him when he was younger, what with the cat thing and all...Maybe a mental disorder out of the incest between the twins.

Though his last actions were the worst for me. Not the dwarfs and Tyrion (though that was pretty bad in itself), but him mocking the Starks in front of Sansa, threatening to rape her after wedding Margaery and then to send her Robb's head right after the RW was the worst. As if you spilled lemon drops on an open wound. Ouch.

While you certainly can't blame a 13(?) year old boy for his education I have no sympathy for Joff and his death whatsoever. The reason he almost turned out to be "the next mad king" surely was thanks to his mother but even keeping all these things in mind I couldn't help but wishing my hands around his throat reading every secene he takes part in - brilliant character by George R.R. Martin.

• 4 weeks later...

All the children in Westeros grow up too quickly. I think Cersei should be flogged! Shame on her for raising such an insolent little SOB! Shame on Robert for casting his fatherly responsibilities aside for wine and whores! I think he KNEW the children were Jamie's, he just chose to hide the truth in the bottom of his glass! Joffrey received what he had coming....karma never fails (until GRRM gets hold of it! Now Cersei's running to her "crippled" lover! House Lannister hasn't lost 1/2 of what House Stark has lost. Lord Tywin is just cranky because his favorite son is broken now.They base their "regency" on beauty and what "they're owed", entitlement always irks me! Well we'll see! It's a game and we'll all be surprised at who finally shouts "KING ME!"

I wish Joffrey had died in battle though, or been injured actually doing some of his own dirty work, a real battle, where he actually had to be as brave as his empty bravado. He needed taking down a giant peg. Instead this happened to Jaime, who was something of a sociopath himself when two handed.

I can see where you're coming from but I disagree. No doubt the singers would find a way to make his death in battle romantic and heroic and I just couldn't stand for that!

Can't say I spared much pity to Joffrey (that went to Cersei, oddly enough) but I found myself disliking him a little bit less. Didn't really hate him in the first place, since he was not terribly inspiring as far as the villains go - like Jon said in one of the first chapters, he was a little shit and that's about it. However, there was something really catharsic about his death scene, especially after the Red Wedding. Robb died at wedding... Joffrey died at wedding. The little shit is dead. Irony is appreciated. Case closed.

As for his death not being gruesome enough... think about it: Both Robb and Joffrey died under similar circumstances. However, Robb went out in the blaze of glory, surrounded by traitorous enemies and fighting to his last. Even his enemies are disgusted by his killers and you can bet there will be songs about Young Wolf in years to come, no matter who wins the war. Joffrey on the other hand... welll, the pity is the best he can hope for, since the history is going to remember him as 13-year-old king who was doomed from the start. But his death is about at glorious and song-worthy as ... (guess whose)

Edit: Can't fix spoilers... argh..

Archived