Rise of the High Sparrow

This character, and his role in the last two books, has been touched on in other threads, but I think he’s going to become a big enough player he deserves a bit more attention.

The HS commands an ever-growing army of both common and noble-born warriors. He’s already proven very willing to push his weight around, having imprisoned two Queens, a member of the Kingsguard (who he also tortured), and was putting pretty demanding terms on Kevan and the Small Council before the former was killed. He’ll only get more powerful as time goes on, so the question is naturally what else he’ll set his sights on.

There’s still a fair bit of lawlessness in the Riverlands, so it stands to reason the Faith Militant may soon be sent out to restore order (making the HS even more popular with the commoners). Ser Bonifer and the Holy Hundred are stationed at Harrenhall, so there may be a natural ally to build off of there. And with Littlefinger occupied in the Vale, there’s really no one in power in this area besides the Freys, and their busy securing their own lands.

If the rumors are to be believed , (F)Aegon has taken Storm’s End, and will probably soon be moving further north. If the HS believes Tommen to be a bastard, he may well throw in with the Mummer’s Dragon. Mace would likely follow suit (as he goes where success is blowing), and try and pair off his daughter with husband number four, and the Lannister hold on power in King’s Landing could finally crumble. The likelihood of this happening is debatable, but if he wanted to, the HS could crown (F)Aegon tomorrow pretty easily, especially considering the kid’s been pretty well tutored in piety by Septa Lemore.

Finally, we know the HS considers Stannis to be a demon worshiper, and he’s probably not going to take too kindly to a girl (who knows nothing of the Faith) showing up at the head of a foreign army with three flying fire-breathing serpents at her command. So, if either of these two make their way to southern Westeros, he’s probably going to declare them public enemy number one and two, and will unite the entire realm against them.

The High Sparrow has been pretty enigmatic for his short existence in the series, but he’s already had a pretty sizable impact and is only growing stronger. I think we’ll be seeing some pretty big moves out of him, and Heaven help anyone who stands in his way.

High septon works with varys. Some sparrow couldn't play the nobel's game so well. Varys knows the game and how to play. He's hiding in kings landing. And when we last saw him before the kevanPOV he was dressed as a septon. I think he's working mischief at the great sept with the high septon. Following a storm, the politics of religion in the seven kingdoms caught fire. And has been blazing since. This high septon is no puppet. But I could definitely see varys working his magic through the seven.

I HS is varys it would be intresting to see when he crowns Aegon what would Aegon actually do, will he support danny or will there be another dance of dragons.

HS is probably not Varys, as Cersei would have recognized him. but it is just Varys to be the one whispering in his ear.

I don't think he is acting as septon either. Unless its more mummer's and faceless tactics. But I think its obvious he is whispering in his ear or he has someone whispering in his ear. He plays the game too well for a common sparrow. The big fish eat the little fish. And high septons never last. Unless a master of the game is showing them the way.

all of the high septons sparrows are varys' little birds. hes been shaping an uprising for years now down among the people. while the great houses played thier game varys fed the birds. the faith is welcome everywhere in castles and in small villages. what better place to have eyes and ears? varys is using the church to give aegon his army

I doubt it. Tommen is a bastard. Cersei will most likely upset the faith even further when she defeats them in combat with robert strong. An abomination.

If the faith retaliates it may be to name tommen a bastard. And declare for aegon. I don't think varys is stupid he knows how badly he needs the faith. The faith represents the people. And the people can win the crown. I think its very varys like to use the faith against the throne. But that may just be me.

Varys may be a master of disguises, but I think this is stretching it. In all of the clothes we've seen him in - the gaoler outfit, a septon's robe, and his court clothes - he's distinguishably portly. The High Sparrow, on the other hand, is a small, thin man who wears simple robes that leave little room for extra fat.

No one is really sayng he is the high septon. Just that he is working with the high septon. It just an option for why the high sparrow is so good at playing the game the nobility play. A sparrow should not be able to dance the high lord's dance. But so far he has done a great job and more than any high septon in recent history.

Agreed. The question I'm now toying around with is how long Varys has been developing this High Septon plan? if he's been using connections with the Faith as a long term intelligence/tactical strategy, he could have simply seen the chaos caused by the War of the Five Kings and used it as a moment to pounce. On the other hand, if his connections are a recent development, how much control of the HS does he really have?

I think he would of took in the common folk reactiong to the wide realm war and the scars of the land, seeing the heated reactions of these small folks he could see revolution and revolt on the horizon. I think that's where he could find uses for the faith. Since they represent the people. After cersei murder's a high septon, he could of arranged a new sparrow septon or perhaps just got close to the new sparrow septon...maybe by posing as a septon and passing along some critical knowledge to the game of thrones. There are a lot of possibilities to toy around with. But I personally just like the idea of the spider spinning a web through the faith

Archived