The Wise Man's Fear IX [Spoilers & Speculation]

thistlepong

Something just struck me. At the start of Denna's Lanre song she said he was "a man who turned his hand toward a purpose few could bear". Rephrase that... he was willing to act, "For the Greater Good". Hell, Haliax was pissed that Cinder liked killing Kvothe's troop. He see's what he is doing as "necessary" but not pleasant willing to bet that the Amyr are allied with the Chandrian. That means Ash/(Bredon) is likely Amyr too.

To that add this from Skarpi's story:

"Was I accounted a good man Selitos?"

You were counted among the best of us. We considered you beyond reproach"

Nish,

Good pick. What if the Amyr went underground because they divided into factions over the purpose of the Chandrian?

I think it was found by someone in Tor.

The only problem with Haliax/Lanre being an Amyr was Skarpi's second story, which has Selitos making the first Amyr.

EDIT:

I had the idea that Denna might be Ariel, and posted about it on page 8. Now after looking through the text so many times, I can see why that theory never stuck. The most I could find evidence (that too wasn't substantial) was to be able to say she is a noble.

Nish,

Oh, I get the problem with Haliax being in league with the Amyr. Haliax, lists the Amyr among their enemies when he chastises Cinder. That's why I'm wondering about Amyr factions. What if part of the Amyr see the Chandrian's purpose as "the greater good" while others do not? Wouldn't they, with their charge, be forced to oppose one another?

Nish,

Oh, I get the problem with Haliax being in league with the Amyr. Haliax, lists the Amyr among their enemies when he chastises Cinder. That's why I'm wondering about Amyr factions. What if part of the Amyr see the Chandrian's purpose as "the greater good" while others do not? Wouldn't they, with their charge, be forced to oppose one another?

I wouldn't call them two factions of the Amyr. They might be factions of some other group. Selitos and Lanre went opposite to each other before the Amyr were made (as per Skarpi).

EDIT:

So, I was wondering, do we ever see Denna fail to catch Kvothe lying (not counting the time when she was delirious because of Denner Resin)?

Nish,

I think you are missing my point. What happened if two Ciridae disagreed on what was the "greater good". For example: In Kvothe's story about the meeting place Faerinel the Ciridae was on his way to stop an execution. Kvothe states that this man could do anything, without question, to further what he believed was "the greater good". What would have happened if another Ciridae disagreed and believed "the greater good" was served by the man to be executed dieing? The philosophy and purpose of the Amyr seems to lend itself to factionalization. Why would those factions act as they saw fit to oppose each other?

Nish,

I think you are missing my point. What happened if two Ciridae disagreed on what was the "greater good". For example: In Kvothe's story about the meeting place Faerinel the Ciridae was on his way to stop an execution. Kvothe states that this man could do anything, without question, to further what he believed was "the greater good". What would have happened if another Ciridae disagreed and believed "the greater good" was served by the man to be executed dieing? The philosophy and purpose of the Amyr seems to lend itself to factionalization. Why would those factions act as they saw fit to oppose each other?

Oops. I think that the Amyr was made up of people that agreed to killing the Chandrian. To punishing them for the fall for Mry Tariniel. And I believe that the Amyr referred to by Haliax is the original one, which is yer alive.

Nish,

Yes, I think, according to Scarpi's story the Amyr were founded by those opposed to Haliax. However, stories don't always tell everything and as much time has passed perhaps there has been enough time for some Amyr to decide that Haliax is in the right.

First: Holy fuck this thread is daunting. Unfortunately you guys have done such a phenomenal job I'm pretty much outside the realm of participation. Awesome show great job.

Second: Googling the release date of Stone Doors I've found a tentative release of May 1st. I really want to reread these but obviously I want to do it as close to that date as possible. Has anyone a more concrete idea of when that is or is it pretty much just guesswork at this point. I know Wise Man got pushed back a bunch...

Another thing I observed. The thing within the Lockless box is also thrice locked. Once in a box which is opened by sliding panels. Then by a key that seems like the Iron key Kvothe used in the Copper plate on the Thrice-Loked Chest. And then there is the box like the final lock on Chest.

I don't know if this had been brought up before or not, but I'm just rereading(or re-listening to) The Wise Man's Fear. I'm at the point where the 2 soilders come into Kotes inn and beat the shit out of him. I've seen people talk about how his hands might be injured, and while that might be the case he may simply not be up to fighting 2 soilders even with both hands.

While he was training with the Adem, they told him that if he stayed with them for a year he would be Tempis equal, and Tempi says he is up to fighting 4 bandits or merceneries.

I was just thinking that if he was only with the Adem for a few months (assuming he didn't go back afterwards), and magic aside, its not hard to believe that 2 soilders would be able to get the better of him.

I still think there is something wrong with Kotes hands/name/magic, but I'm not sure what to think of the soilders beating him.

I don't know if this had been brought up before or not, but I'm just rereading(or re-listening to) The Wise Man's Fear. I'm at the point where the 2 soilders come into Kotes inn and beat the shit out of him. I've seen people talk about how his hands might be injured, and while that might be the case he may simply not be up to fighting 2 soilders even with both hands.

While he was training with the Adem, they told him that if he stayed with them for a year he would be Tempis equal, and Tempi says he is up to fighting 4 bandits or merceneries.

I was just thinking that if he was only with the Adem for a few months (assuming he didn't go back afterwards), and magic aside, its not hard to believe that 2 soilders would be able to get the better of him.

I still think there is something wrong with Kotes hands/name/magic, but I'm not sure what to think of the soilders beating him.

Kvothe can probably handle 2 soldiers in his prime, he easily handled took down the burliset sailors in the sailing passage, plus since it was a surpise attack he definetly would have been able to handle them =P

Anyone else wonder where Kvothe/Kote's money came from? In all his stories he has money problems. In the "present" he's so flush he's thinking of ways to give it to others. Where did all that money come from?

Probably a combination of the Bloodless, the scam he has going with the Bursar and future incomes yet to be seen.

Anyone else wonder where Kvothe/Kote's money came from? In all his stories he has money problems. In the "present" he's so flush he's thinking of ways to give it to others. Where did all that money come from?

I did. And then after thinking, got nowhere, and gave up thinking about it.

Probably a combination of the Bloodless, the scam he has going with the Bursar and future incomes yet to be seen.

I think you are underestimating ow much money he has. Remember the chest or Roah?

It is mentioned that a piece of roah wood the size of a thumb is worth gold. Consider the cost of the chest, then the inn itself. And even then he has enough money that he can pay 2 levy taxes, and continue to give it around, even with a third levy tax about to happen.

He might make some money by the Bloodless and the scam, but that much is not even imaginable. It will have to be some future income.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you are underestimating ow much money he has. Remember the chest or Roah?

It is mentioned that a piece of roah wood the size of a thumb is worth gold. Consider the cost of the chest, then the inn itself. And even then he has enough money that he can pay 2 levy taxes, and continue to give it around, even with a third levy tax about to happen.

He might make some money by the Bloodless and the scam, but that much is not even imaginable. It will have to be some future income.

Well, as for the Roah chest, I assumed that, in order for him to have gotten ahold of that much, he wouldn't have been able to buy it, he would have had to have gotten it directly from the source and had it fashioned for him (well that verb clause was a semantic mess, but I think I get my point across). Like... Kvothe is obviously pretty well-off, but frankly there are some things that even disgusting amounts of money can't buy. I suspect a colossal chunk of enchanted (?) wood from unknown sources would probably fall into that category.

Plus his display plate for Folly is also made out of a different but equally mysterious type of wood. I suspect he popped into Fae and got his hands on some random cool stuff there, rather than paying market price.

It's sort of the video-game item thing, where the stuff you can buy at shops is never ever as good as the stuff you find just adventuring. Or at least that's what I suspect is going on here.

Archived