The Wise Man's Fear IX [Spoilers & Speculation]

thistlepong

I just finished reading the first two books. I like this series more than asoiaf but I don't like Kvothe more than Arya of course. I think Kvothe is a "bard" that she could like.

Anyways, I admit I thought it was suspect that he had red hair. I know that one can take after indirect family like a grandparent but it's strange that neither of his parents have that hair color.

As for Bast. Now if he's not Kvothe's son then what is with the source of the extreme devotion? I've been trying to find an alternative theory.

I saw this on another forum:

This sounds familiar to me, and all of a sudden I'm filled with the conviction that Cinder could not hear Marten's prayers, but rather he knew that the Amyr were coming. Indeed, knowing that he is likely nearly invincible(by mortal standards anyways I would assume), the fear in his breakneck speed back to his tent seems a bit out of character even if he did know Kvothe was about to call the lightning to destroy everything there. He also runs to his tent with a purpose, knowing there will be an escape there. At the very least, this likely means that Haliax was also there, just for a small amount of time to take Cinder into the shadows and into safety away from the oncoming Amyr. Interesting that we now have two of the Chandrian here on this night rather than the one, but ultimately we have learned nothing knew.

But then I wonder what has the Amyr coming in the first place? The first time Kvothe sees the Chandrian it is fairly obvious why the Amyr would be coming so soon. All the Chandrian are gathered in one place, all together, marveling in the feat of violence they had just performed upon Kvothe's troupe. I imagine it is the same as Arlidin practicing his song often, calling the true names of the Chandrian so often that they are constantly drawn to him, despite his sporadic movements. The Amyr are somehow drawn to the Chandrian, driven in their purpose to hurt and destroy them(again, assuming, but a fair assumption). But this first encounter is like flies to honey. All the Chandrian are there. How can the Amyr with all their vaunted power help but rush to where they know the Chandrian are? With Cinder, it is but one of them. They obviously didn't come before when he was leading his men as he was still leading said men in the middle of the forest. Therefore, what brought them this specific night, the same night that Kvothe brought the thunder and lightning? We could assume it is coincidence and that they are coming because they sense that Cinder is vulnerable, but given that all the Chandrian fear the Amyr, even when in their great group, I doubt that the Amyr would need to wait on a convenience such as Kvothe attacking Cinder's camp. They would walk in, ignore the men who would be like insects and destroy Cinder. Therefore, assuming the theory in itself is correct, they did not come by coincidence. So what else happened?

We are back at Marten's praying. Kvothe scares the living hell out of Marten so badly that Marten invokes the name of Tehlu over and over again. And over and still over again more until the repetition grows tiresome. Can this be what called the Amyr? Surely not only the praying or the Amyr would be rushing all over Kvothe's planet to all the churches every day of mass, generally being confused out of their minds. But possibly the frantic praying combined with the shadow of a hint of a Chandrian at this location? I'm not going to say that the secret to finding, contacting, and calling the Amyr is as simple as prayer. I'm not going to say that I'm deadset in my convictions that the Amyr were actually nearly there the night of Kvothe's reckoning. But I will say that the near identical behavior of Cinder on this dark and stormy night as compared to the fateful day back in Kvothe's childhood raises interesting questions, as does the coincidence of the Amyr coming after the Chandrian on both of Kvothe's sightings.

I was definitely under the impression that Cinder fled the battle because the Amyr were en route. Kvothe at one point says that the bandit leader cocked his head and looked at the sky, then soon after he rushes into the tent (where he apparently disappears). I also agree that the prayers are probably what drew the Amyr.

Sadly I forget where. To the point I think demons are just fae/chadrian/whatever the Ctaethe is. The angels are the Amyr. So Kvothe killing an angel is really him killing an Amyr. Tricking a demon could be him tricking a Chadrian. Denna's patron is either an Amyr or a Chadrian imo.

Speaking of Denna I dislike her because Kvothe becomes unlikable when he whines about her. I want him to stfu. I'll be pissed if he loses his powers because of her. I actually liked the Felurian introduction even though it dragged on because he realized that other women exist although he did find Fela attractive before.

More theories I found:

I have a theory that Kvote renamed the Waystone himself, in order to keep himself safe from the Chandrian.

We know, for instance, that the stones somehow repel the Chandrian or protect people from them:

1. The old rhyme over what you should do if the Chandrian come "Run away - stand alone, stand as stone" or possibly "standing stone" - the Waystones.

2. When Kvothe's troupe hear the song, they are stopped for the evening at the standing stones, where the Edema Ruh always stop to make camp. It is only when they are stopped by a fallen tree (most likely deliberately placed) away from any standing stones that they are all attacked and killed.

3. The wedding party who are massacred removed all of the stones from under their house, that concealed the Vase. Once the stones were gone, the Chandrian had them all within weeks.

4. The possessed guard is left disoriented when he enters the Waystone - the power of the name is perhaps having the same effect as the real thing?

5. Kvothe says "Chandrian" and uses their names frequently in the story. We know from the Adem that you mustn't speak their name (I believe more than once in a thousand days) or they will find you. So where are they?

6. Kvothe is firmly expecting to be killed when he leaves the Waystone at the beginning of TNOTW - why? Because of the Scrael? Or because the Waystone is his last protection against Cinder et al? We know he is "waiting to die" suggesting that someone is coming for him.

All suggesting that the naming of the Waystone is deliberate. I find it unlikely that Kvothe would simply happen upon a pub named the Waystone (or maybe he did and that is why he has stopped there) and so that suggests to me that it was perhaps his last piece of naming magic that we know of.

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?32030-Kingkiller-Chronicles-Speculation-(Spoilers-for-both-books)&p=682746&viewfull=1#post682746

Iax is imprisoned behind stone doors too.

Kvothe is very clear about the length of time and distance to move before ever repeating a name, but this does not seem to be the case with Cinder's real name Felura/Felure. Why would he make such an obvious mistake?

I submit that Cinder is in fact dead. Kvothe has already killed him and that he why he does not fear to speak his name. 1st: When Chronicler first shows up and attempts to persuade Kvothe to tell his story he claims that "Some are even saying there is a new Chandrian". Why would there be a new one if the old one is still there? The story has been very consistent that there are only seven and that the fact there are seven is why they are named the Chandrian.

2nd: When Kvothe speaks of the Adem he talks about receiving the sword Cesura from them and promising to take care of it. But Chronicler notices that the sword hanging above the bar "Folley" doesn't in fact match the description that Kvothe gives for Cesura, so sure it couldn't be the same sword with a different name. Kvothe also confirms this by telling Chronicler that he is clever and that he cant fool him. There is however a sword that matches the description of the sword that Kvothe has in the Bar, Cinder's sword in NOTW. It would make sense that Kvothe would have taken the sword after defeating the Chandrian who killed his family. Also the sword seems to take in light and turn it dull, as seen in the first chapter where Kvothe begins to tell his story, 6 I believe.

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?32030-Kingkiller-Chronicles-Speculation-(Spoilers-for-both-books)&p=691771&viewfull=1#post691771

I hope so. I hope he killed at least Cinder. It's not believable to me for him to kill all seven or Haliax without some divine intervention of some sort or what I believe to actually be the Amyr.

ETA: Other 2 qualities I dislike about Kvothe is that he has Tyrion's problem of not knowing when to stfu and his mouth making things worse. & not his fault but he needs to learn money management.

Kvothe is very clear about the length of time and distance to move before ever repeating a name, but this does not seem to be the case with Cinder's real name Felura/Felure. Why would he make such an obvious mistake?

He might not have made a mistake. He could have intentionally, mis-pronounced the name in either of the instances. After all, both of them were different (Ferula and Ferule).

There is however a sword that matches the description of the sword that Kvothe has in the Bar, Cinder's sword in NOTW. It would make sense that Kvothe would have taken the sword after defeating the Chandrian who killed his family. Also the sword seems to take in light and turn it dull, as seen in the first chapter where Kvothe begins to tell his story, 6 I believe.

I had looked up the descriptions a while back, for the same idea, and dismissed it because:

Folly:
In fact, the light the sword refelcted was dull, burnished and ages old.

Cinder's Sword:
...neither one reflected the light of the fire or the setting sun.

One reflects light, though dulling it, the other doesn't reflect light.

He might not have made a mistake. He could have intentionally, mis-pronounced the name in either of the instances. After all, both of them were different (Ferula and Ferule).

I had looked up the descriptions a while back, for the same idea, and dismissed it because:

Folly:
In fact, the light the sword refelcted was dull, burnished and ages old.

Cinder's Sword:
...neither one reflected the light of the fire or the setting sun.

One reflects light, though dulling it, the other doesn't reflect light.

Oh, ok. Thanks.

Is there a theory as to why the Chronicler said that there was a new Chandrian?

I saw the link to Kvothe being one of them but that would make it more than seven now if Cinder is not dead.

Oh, ok. Thanks.

I saw the link to Kvothe being one of them but that would make it more than seven now if Cinder is not dead.

I am not dismissing the idea that Kvothe killed a chandrian, who might be cinder. I also think that might happen. Only that Folly is not Cinders.

What you suggested is the only one that comes to my mind. Though, there was the idea, I think it was here, or on Tor, that Kvothe's sign is silence. Notice how the silence is described in the inn. When Chronicler mentions 'a woman', the room goes unnaturally quote and "terrible stillness clenched between his teeth).

I am not dismissing the idea that Kvothe killed a chandrian, who might be cinder. I also think that might happen. Only that Folly is not Cinders.

What you suggested is the only one that comes to my mind. Though, there was the idea, I think it was here, or on Tor, that Kvothe's sign is silence. Notice how the silence is described in the inn. When Chronicler mentions 'a woman', the room goes unnaturally quote and "terrible stillness clenched between his teeth).

Is there a theory as to how he is kept from being under Haliax's control? I just read some where that Kvothe killing the troupe parallels them killing his family. I suppose it makes a good tragedy for him to become what he hates.

One theory said that his powers are trapped and that's what keeps him safe but he seemed to want to open it.

Is there a theory as to how he is kept from being under Haliax's control? I just read some where that Kvothe killing the troupe parallels them killing his family. I suppose it makes a good tragedy for him to become what he hates.

One theory said that his powers are trapped and that's what keeps him safe but he seemed to want to open it.

Maybe his name is what's locked in the chest. He might want it to have his old name back, despite the fact that it might have bad consequences.

There's a video up for Fela's card.

New information from it:

Modeg is very insular.

There is very little travel between towns in Modeg.

It is implied that Denna is not from Modeg. At the very least she doesn't look like she's from Modeg.

Modeg was never conquered by the Aturan Empire and so has its own religion.

Women are more equal to men in Modeg.

Women in Modeg are often educators.

Scenes from classical education could include Teccam in his cave or Feltemi Reis teaching the Gallocians (spelling?) how to be bastards.

Other thoughts I had:

Regarding the letter that seemed to have bad news that Denna was reading in Imre. How did she get it? She never stays in the same place for long, so whoever sent it couldn't have been far away since she would have moved on by the time they knew where to send a letter, which makes it unlikely to be something regarding her family (unless her family is close to Imre).

She did manage to stay with Kellin awhile if I recall correctly. This may have been when she got the letter, which makes a long distance letter more possible.

But how did she manage to stay with Kellin so long without her patron requiring her to travel? Was Kellin important to her patron? Was her patron just gone? Was he in Fae? Does anybody know how long she was with Kellin? I'm wondering if it coincides with the synodic period of the moon. I doubt we have that information though.

When Kvothe meets Puppet, Puppet is dressed as Taborlin, and is described similarly to how Felurian refers to human Amyr. A hint that Taborlin is/was Amyr (human or otherwise)?

In WMFc47, Cob says, "Meddling with dark forces is against the law over in Amary." Why would he specify that it's illegal in Amary. Is it legal where they are? I wouldn't think it's legal in Vintas. Do both sides in the war permit dark arts? Who would allow dark arts? Well, somebody who studied at the University might.

In WMFc41 Kvothe is studying physiognomy by reading one of Gibea's books. What work would Gibea have done into determining how to judge a person's character or personality from their appearance (face especially)?

If Imre is Amyr territory and Cinder is Master Ash, then Cinder would have been really brave to go there when Denna met him.

I can't remember where I saw this next thing, a video or blog, I guess. Pat said that he borrowed from Shakespeare in that important characters will speak in verse and unimportant ones won't.

Something I thought of years ago but never mentioned because it's a bit out there:

In NotWc14, Abenthy wants to know how Kvothe would take down a bird. In response to Kvothe's answer, Abenthy says, "I've never though of that."

Does Abenthy spend a lot of time pondering how to take down winged opponents? Angels perhaps? Though I don't think Skarpi said any angels had wings with feathers, which is what Kvothe was targeting.

And I found Spanish and German translations of the Chandrian signs. I didn't find the German lines regarding Haliax though.

Spanish

Cyphus lleva la llama azul.

Stercus es esclavo del hierro.

Ferule, frío y de ojo oscuro.

Usnea solo vive en la podredumbre.

Dalcenti, gris, no habla nunca.

La pálida Alenta trae la peste.

El último es el señor de los siete:

Odiado. Perdido. Insomne. Cuerdo.

Alaxel lleva el yugo de la sombra

Bing translation back to English

Cyphus carries the blue flame.

Stercus is slave of the iron.

Ferule, cold and dark eye.

Usnea only lives in the rot.

Dalcenti, grey, never speaks.

The pale Alenta brings the plague.

The latter is the Lord of the seven:

Hated. Lost. Insomniac. Sane.

Alaxel carries the yoke of the shadow

Google translation back to English

Cyphus bears the blue flame.

Stercus is a slave of the iron.

Ferule, cold and dark eye.

Usnea only lives in the rot.

Dalcenti, gray, never speaks.

The pale Alenta plague brings.

The last is the lord of the seven:

Hated. Lost. Sleepless. Sane.

Alaxel bear the yoke of the shadow

German

Cyphus wird von blauer Flamme angekündigt.

Stercus, der dem Eisen verfallen ist

Ferule, der/die kalte, dunkle Augen hat

Usnea, die von Verfall umgeben ist

Dalenti, der nie spricht

Alenta, die blass ist und die Pest überträgt

Bing translation back to English

Cyphus is announced by blue flame.

Stercus, which expired the iron

Ferule, that has cold, dark eyes

Usnea, which is surrounded by foreclosure

Dalenti, who never speaks

Alenta which is pale and transmits the plague

Google translation back to English

Cyphus announced by blue flame.

Stercus who is addicted to iron

Ferrule, the / the cold, dark eyes has

Usnea, which is surrounded by decay

Dalenti who never speaks

Alenta which is pale and the plague transfers

Is there a theory as to how he is kept from being under Haliax's control?

Like Nisheeth said, if his name is locked in the chest that could possibly do it. At one point Kvothe tells a story about Chronicler in which you can protect yourself from being controlled with your name by writing it in a book of glass that's shut in a box of copper within a chest of iron (WMFc47).

<snip>

Modeg was never conquered by the Aturan Empire and so has its own religion.

<snip>

I can't remember where I saw this next thing, a video or blog, I guess. Pat said that he borrowed from Shakespeare in that important characters will speak in verse and unimportant ones won't.

<snip>

Regarding the first snip, that's pretty much in line with what he said back in '11 about the Aturan Empire advancing into MOdeg and Ceald but not overwhelming them. Can you link the portion of the vlog?

Regarding the second, I really wish you remembered. mistlepong and I have been intending to scansion the felurian scenes. Following that, gbrell at Tor requested we do Denna and Kvothe. I got kinda lost trying to learn kalevala meter ad life got really busy. Seems a little more worth it now. Thanks.

I'll try to address the other bits more fully soon. And welcome, ARYa_Nym!

Here's the link to the spot they talk about Modeg having it's own religion since it wasn't conquered. They started talking about Modeg a little before this part. This all started because they said they needed to give Fela Modegan facial features to differentiate her from Denna.

I'll see if I can find the source for the Shakespeare bit.

I personally have a theory that the reason Kvothe is telling this story is in an attempt to draw the chandrian to him in order to allow them to kill him.

I base this on the idea that many Fae, and especially the Chandrian, are drawn to their names when they are said. This is stated pretty directly several times; the Adem will only tell their powm about the Chandrian (which names all of them, directly) after travelling a certain distance and waiting a certain amount of time, to ensure that they are not attracted.

But here, Kvothe has said their names many times. At the beginning, he described them AND named them. Then he continuously mentions them, mentions names, names all 12, etc. etc. This will be drawing them right to him, unless he has destroyed them (which I dont think he could have possibly done.) and when they show up they will not let him, or anyone in the village, live.

Kvothe is clearly unhappy with where he is now; he cannto use his magic, cannot fight, cannot live as he used to. He's probably depressed. He may have fought/beaten/killed Cinder, but we also dont know what else he knows about his enemies, nor what happened to lose him his magic.

So, I think book three could end with a current-time focus of the Chandrian showing up.

I personally have a theory that the reason Kvothe is telling this story is in an attempt to draw the chandrian to him in order to allow them to kill him.

I base this on the idea that many Fae, and especially the Chandrian, are drawn to their names when they are said. This is stated pretty directly several times; the Adem will only tell their powm about the Chandrian (which names all of them, directly) after travelling a certain distance and waiting a certain amount of time, to ensure that they are not attracted.

But here, Kvothe has said their names many times. At the beginning, he described them AND named them. Then he continuously mentions them, mentions names, names all 12, etc. etc. This will be drawing them right to him, unless he has destroyed them (which I dont think he could have possibly done.) and when they show up they will not let him, or anyone in the village, live.

Kvothe is clearly unhappy with where he is now; he cannto use his magic, cannot fight, cannot live as he used to. He's probably depressed. He may have fought/beaten/killed Cinder, but we also dont know what else he knows about his enemies, nor what happened to lose him his magic.

So, I think book three could end with a current-time focus of the Chandrian showing up.

He uses there real names only once, with Ferule being the only one that is said twice (though with a slight difference).

On the other hand, there was a very nice theory that he was setting a trap, on Tor: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/05/rothfuss-reread-speculative-summary-20-watching-his-master#comments

The theory is down in comment 164.

That's actually a quite popular theory: that Kvothe is setting up a showdown or a trap for one or all of the Seven. Folks have found what they consider to be numerous hints that he's taken precautions against them and that he's drawn the attention of other powerful parties as well. And that all of the above are technically on a timetable coinciding with the completion of the narrative.

I was one of those folks. I'm not so sure anymore. It's certainly a kick-ass high fantasy ending if the sort we like to expect. I think the ending of book three will be more sedate, used to contextualize and fix the meaning of the narrative.

Welcome to the discussion! And feel free to display your spoilers.

Thanks!

I've been staying away from Kingkiller dedicated forum sites- too many completely crazy theories with no textual basis.

To me, the idea that Kvothe is calling the Chandrian is rather obvious- he has stated the risks of telling a story such as his multiple times, yet he continues to name the Chandrian, both true names and nicknames.

He uses there real names only once, with Ferule being the only one that is said twice (though with a slight difference).

On the other hand, there was a very nice theory that he was setting a trap, on Tor: http://www.tor.com/b...master#comments

The theory is down in comment 164.

I personally think that, due to the emphasis Rothfuss puts on names (and a few of Elodin's comments) even nicknames could draw the Chandrian- as Kvothe has said every one of their true names once, now, that was sort of like... a burst of light, to them. They would normally turn away, but then he continues to name nicknames and descriptions, and the light is getting brighter. I think that the Chandrian, extremly powerful, magical creatures as they are- would be drawn to a story like Kvothe's.

My whole theory kind of relies on the fact that Kvothe appears crippled, in the present-tense. This COULD, possibly, be a ploy, but I don't think it is; I really want to see what it is that has caused this. IF he really is crippled, he has no hope of killing, or even fighting, the chandrian, and this really is a suicide attempt. If he isn't crippled... Well, then he may stand a chance. We dont really know.

... I want book 3.

Somehow Denna died.... I presume it was not unrelated to the Chandrian and the Amyr.

My pet theory of course being that the popularity of Denna's pro-Lanre song attracted the attention of both the Amyr and (possibly) the Chandrian themselves. The involvement of the Amyr leads to Kvothe's slaying an 'angel'. Only the Amyr, as described in Scarpi's second story (Selitos, Tehlu and the others) could be construed as 'angels'.

Thanks!

I've been staying away from Kingkiller dedicated forum sites- too many completely crazy theories with no textual basis.

To me, the idea that Kvothe is calling the Chandrian is rather obvious- he has stated the risks of telling a story such as his multiple times, yet he continues to name the Chandrian, both true names and nicknames.

I personally think that, due to the emphasis Rothfuss puts on names (and a few of Elodin's comments) even nicknames could draw the Chandrian- as Kvothe has said every one of their true names once, now, that was sort of like... a burst of light, to them. They would normally turn away, but then he continues to name nicknames and descriptions, and the light is getting brighter. I think that the Chandrian, extremly powerful, magical creatures as they are- would be drawn to a story like Kvothe's.

My whole theory kind of relies on the fact that Kvothe appears crippled, in the present-tense. This COULD, possibly, be a ploy, but I don't think it is; I really want to see what it is that has caused this. IF he really is crippled, he has no hope of killing, or even fighting, the chandrian, and this really is a suicide attempt. If he isn't crippled... Well, then he may stand a chance. We dont really know.

... I want book 3.

It makes me wonder what brought them down on the marriage celebration outside of Trebon. Did the townsfolk even know what they had found? I'm inclined towards 'no'... at least for the vast majority of folks who saw it, yet the Chandrian arrived and brought their wrath down on the marriage party. It makes me wonder what triggered them.

Oh, ok. Thanks.

My personal theory is Kvothe at least kills Cinder, but in his place Denna becomes this new Chandrian. It goes well with the other theories that she's working for one or all of Chandrian with this new song and/or on a quest that's the reverse of Kvothe's - after the Amyr for revenge. The ,merest mention of Denna is going to set Kvothe off, her beconing a Chandrian would have a much more devastating impact on Kvothe then her dying imo. It would be his ultimate failure.

Thanks for the greetings and the replies everyone. :)

This is the few places where I can find a lot of theories on this series but I only used google to try to find something. Reddit wasn't all that great.

It makes me wonder what brought them down on the marriage celebration outside of Trebon. Did the townsfolk even know what they had found? I'm inclined towards 'no'... at least for the vast majority of folks who saw it, yet the Chandrian arrived and brought their wrath down on the marriage party. It makes me wonder what triggered them.

Exactly. I think the townsfold had found some sort of urn, right? With their images painted on it. People in the town then started talking about what the people on the urn looked like. No names at all. I think they are drawn directly to any strong concentration of their descriptions.

Archived