Sam as Maester - Time frame

IAmNobody

I think GRRM does not intend to Sam to forge his chain, actually a new chain events have been started as sam has reached oldtown also i don't think sam will stay for long in old town when he hears of jon's death.He will probably rush to the wall or to his father.

I don't think he'll go back upon hearing of Jon's death, why would he? I expect him to discover something big, whether it's about the Citadel itself, dragons or White Walkers. I'm looking forward to see his story unfold, he's always been one of my favorite characters.

I think GRRM does not intend to Sam to forge his chain, actually a new chain events have been started as sam has reached oldtown also i don't think sam will stay for long in old town when he hears of jon's death.He will probably rush to the wall or to his father.

I also don't think he'll become a maester mostly due to the pacing of the series. Like I said in my previous post I believe he's there because the story needs him there. With all he's experienced north of the Wall and with his intelligence (including the books he read at Castle Black) he'll uncover something. For instance some plot or an important piece of information. I'll go out in a limb and say that there is an important book somewhere in the Citadel that talks of the PTWP's relationship with the Starks (going back to Bran the Builder). Once he learns that vital piece of info he'll bolt out of there.

I'll go out in a limb and say that there is an important book somewhere in the Citadel that talks of the PTWP's relationship with the Starks (going back to Bran the Builder). Once he learns that vital piece of info he'll bolt out of there.

I lean the same way. Not that I wouldn't enjoy a good ironborn raid of Oldtown in the meantime.....

We know for a certainty that The Winds of Winter begins almost immediately after A Dance With Dragons, because of Theon's and Victarion's preview chapters. So, no five year gap. At least not yet.

Concerning Sam (THE SLAYER) Tarly, I believe that, like most other posters, he will probably race through most of his education. Being extremely well read and travelled.

How the politics at the citadel affect him and his progress is anyone guess.

I reckon he's gonna provide insight, through his POV, of life and goings on at the citadel all through The Winds of Winter and head back to Jon half way through A Dream of Spring with some kind of urgent news/information concerning the fight for the dawn.

I love Sam, I think he's great. He seems so out of place in this universe. I just hope that he isn't left out of the forth coming books just because we know where he is and what he's doing.

I want to see and hear about it!

I believe that another good reason for Sam to have left the Wall is because if he was at the Wall he would have been killed in the Ides of Marsh. I mean if you are Marsh you would have to take out Sam if you planned to kill Jon.

Why? What's he going to do? He's useless in a fight, everyone will know what happened anyway, what would Sam actually do to change things?

Concerning Sam (THE SLAYER) Tarly, I believe that, like most other posters, he will probably race through most of his education. Being extremely well read and travelled.

How the politics at the citadel affect him and his progress is anyone guess.

I reckon he's gonna provide insight, through his POV, of life and goings on at the citadel all through The Winds of Winter and head back to Jon half way through A Dream of Spring with some kind of urgent news/information concerning the fight for the dawn.

I think he's also there to witness what happens, when they chose a new Grand Maester.

Varys killed Pycelle, and said this about his possible replacement: "the Conclave was on the verge of sending us Maester Gormon, a Tyrell of Highgarden." It will be interesting to have a POV in the Citadel for the next choosing. Sam also has the experience from choosing the LC of the NW, and i'm sure he will see citadel politics in action then and compare it to what happend on the wall.

I think Sam will be at the Citadel and probably forge a chain in record time. While this is happening though he will get involved with Sarella and they will probably uncover something important.

Here's to hoping the fat pink mast does not make itself known in this time frame.

I feel the whereabouts of Gilly and baby Mance are up in the air.. She was to stay aboard the Cinnamon Wind (?) until Sam settled himself at the Citadel.. we never saw that happen fully. Instead Marwyn has raced off to either commandeer the ship / hire it . Perhaps he won't be able to leave right away..the Mos have to sell their Cargo , and either take on another or be paid to ferry Marwyn alone , if he's in a hurry. I wonder if Gilly may wind up staying aboard with friends , if Sam is going to be taken up with his studies.

Whether they know it or not , she may actually be as safe ,or safer there than in Oldtown or Horn Hill surrounded by strangers.

I think he's also there to witness what happens, when they chose a new Grand Maester.

Varys killed Pycelle, and said this about his possible replacement: "the Conclave was on the verge of sending us Maester Gormon, a Tyrell of Highgarden." It will be interesting to have a POV in the Citadel for the next choosing. Sam also has the experience from choosing the LC of the NW, and i'm sure he will see citadel politics in action then and compare it to what happend on the wall.

:agree:

I like the idea of that. Actually seeing the choosing of the next Grand Maester. Didn't occur to me...

I think you could safely guess, there being a fair amount of shady backhanders invovled to warrant Sam (THE SLAYER) Tarly to kick some Maester Ass!!

Leaving aside the question of how many years TWOW will cover or whether he'd have enough time to get his chain, I think there's a simpler reason why Sam isn't going back to the Wall: from a story-telling perspective, he doesn't need to be at the Wall, and there's plenty for him to do south of the neck. There are four reasons that I can think for why GRRM needs Sam to be in Oldtown:

1. There's the archives, filled with books like The Death of Dragons that can only be found at the Citadel. It's reasonable to imagine that there would be some information about the Others found there. But since GRRM probably wouldn't just give us chapter upon chapter of Sam reading dusty old books in some basement reading room, there's also...
  2. The Alchemist, carrying out some mysterious task on behalf of some mysterious benefactor, most likely--given the prominence they have in Arya's storyline--advancing the secret longterm aims of the Faceless Men themselves. Also, don't forget...
  3. The court at King's Landing. Sam is a nobly born young man with some level of political acumen, and also one of the few people who knows the truth about the Others. When the time comes that Daenerys (or Aegon, or Tommen) needs to be convinced of their existence, Sam's the person to do it. And on a character level, there's...
  4. Lord Randyll Tarly. Sam's story is unlikely to end without some kind of confrontation with his father.

With that in mind, why would GRRM need Sam to go back North? I really don't see why he would come rushing back when learning of Jon's death--he's not the sort to swear revenge, or to take on a leadership position himself in trying to save the Watch from itself. And if he finds some valuable bit of information about how to fight the Others, he has a number of ways of getting this to Jon, including ravens, glass candles, and perhaps even using Bran's connection to the weirwood if he should learn about it. He doesn't need to go himself.

With that in mind, why would GRRM need Sam to go back North? I really don't see why he would come rushing back when learning of Jon's death--he's not the sort to swear revenge, or to take on a leadership position himself in trying to save the Watch from itself. And if he finds some valuable bit of information about how to fight the Others, he has a number of ways of getting this to Jon, including ravens, glass candles, and perhaps even using Bran's connection to the weirwood if he should learn about it. He doesn't need to go himself.

I don't think he will go back, when he hears of Jon´s death either (if he's dead at all), but finding information about the others or a way to fight them, is another matter. This info could be sensibel enough, that he needs to deliver it himself, or he finds out, that some pice of information is in Castle Blacks library.

I don't think he will go back, when he hears of Jon´s death either (if he's dead at all), but finding information about the others or a way to fight them, is another matter. This info could be sensibel enough, that he needs to deliver it himself, or he finds out, that some pice of information is in Castle Blacks library.

Why would he need to deliver it himself? He has lots of ways of making sure that Jon (or whomever) gets the news. If he could get the glass candle to work, he could literally show up in Jon's dreams and deliver the information in a way that nobody else could trace.

And I don't see him getting all the way to Oldtown only to find that (surprise!) he never needed to go at all. That would be a very unsatisfying plot contrivance.

You misunderstand me, I think first Sam has to learn a lot at the Citadel, healing and history foremost. He will forge a few links of his chain and give us insights in the inner workings of the Citadel.

But Sam is a Brother of the NW, so eventually he will go back to the Wall, to become the replacement of Maester Aemon. Thats why he went to Oldtown in the first place.

I was discussing, what could motivate Sam to return north before he fully becomes a Maester.

Archived