Was Littefinger just being opportunistic with the knife?

SlackBladder

As much a schemer as Littefinger is, there's no way he planned for Bran to fall from the roof or for Joffrey to try and have him murdered. Did he really just come up with the plan to pin it on Tyrion in that meeting with Cat? Of course, he seems to have been plotting to cause a war for a long time (and from the talk between Illyrio and Varys in aGoT he's trying to do it before those two are ready to carry out their own plans). Hide any post-aSoS spoilers of course, I've only read up to aFfC myself.

Now that you mention it, it is really odd that he should come up with the plan so quickly. Probably he was told of the knife by Varys and had the time to elaborate his plans. I don't see how he could have arranged for Bran to fall, but he actually can have bribed Joffrey to kill some Stark before his departure from King's Landing.

By the way, in which chapter of A Game of Thrones does this Illyrio - Varys talk occur?

Now that you mention it, it is really odd that he should come up with the plan so quickly. Probably he was told of the knife by Varys and had the time to elaborate his plans. I don't see how he could have arranged for Bran to fall, but he actually can have bribed Joffrey to kill some Stark before his departure from King's Landing.

By the way, in which chapter of A Game of Thrones does this Illyrio - Varys talk occur?

A Game of Thrones, Chapter 32, Arya III

Littlefinger's strategic goal was to set the Starks and Lannisters against each other. He had nothing to do with Bran's fall or the assassination - he just saw it as his chance to spark his desired war.

I know but I thought it was a bit odd how he immediately pins it on Tyrion, he must have been really quick on his feet to think through all the consequences in that moment.

Archived