Dotrakhi is Turkish

Nudu

It is obvious that Martin based Turkish to create Dotrakhi. Their lifestyle is smilar alot and their language. For example arakh means orakh in today's Turkey Turkish. And Khal is khan..

Actually I think the dothraki language and culture is more mongolian inspired than anything else. The word khal is based off of khan, which is actually mongolian, not turkish.

Actually Dotrakhi has nothing to do with Turkish!!! ..... khan's are from the mongolian tribes like the huns and the bulgars (today's Bulgaria)! The name it self is inspired from the Thraki - Thracians (tribe that also inhabited today's Bulgaria and Greece). The way of life, hair, clothes, horses, houses, traditions are very close to the hunnic and the bulgar ones. The bulgar tribes originate from the huns - mongolia, and settled near the Black Sea. So again people i just wanted to say that turkish dint have khans!!! They had soltans.... Bulgaria had khans and Huns tribe leaders where also named khans.... p.s.: they didnt have armor (in the begining) and the mongolians did.

You can check some info about them in wikipedia. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgars and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns

And look up some images to see how they looked like - for example khan Asparukh - http://bulstack.com/...ruh-for-web.jpg (he was the first khan (king) of Bulgaria it is believed he is a desentend of Atila the Hun)

I hope i helped :)

Oh i also found this thing: http://www.goodreads.com/group/1722-a-song-of-ice-fire-fans/comments/11373212 i guess this woman had the same conclusion :)

How can it be Turkish without Üs and Ös in every word :dunno:

Iki nokta yok :)

Anyway, I don't think that Dothraki sound Turkish at all.

I am arabic, listening to the dothraki language throughout the show sounded really close to my language, but with a german/russian accent trailing the main accent.

The accent is arabic, i know many irl people that speak with the same accents as the dothraki

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The dothraki are based on the mongols and Turks yes, but more on ancient tribes such as the Huns, Gokturks, Xiongnu and Mongolic rourans, I would compare dothraki more to old Turkic. Also yes khal sounds very similar to Turko-Mongol khan, it also seems to mean the same thing in dothraki society.

Dothraki is more germanic than Anatolian (turkish) in the sound at least

Actually Dotrakhi has nothing to do with Turkish!!! ..... khan's are from the mongolian tribes like the huns and the bulgars (today's Bulgaria)! The name it self is inspired from the Thraki - Thracians (tribe that also inhabited today's Bulgaria and Greece). The way of life, hair, clothes, horses, houses, traditions are very close to the hunnic and the bulgar ones. The bulgar tribes originate from the huns - mongolia, and settled near the Black Sea. So again people i just wanted to say that turkish dint have khans!!! They had soltans.... Bulgaria had khans and Huns tribe leaders where also named khans.... p.s.: they didnt have armor (in the begining) and the mongolians did.You can check some info about them in wikipedia. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgars and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HunsAnd look up some images to see how they looked like - for example khan Asparukh - http://bulstack.com/...ruh-for-web.jpg (he was the first khan (king) of Bulgaria it is believed he is a desentend of Atila the Hun)I hope i helped :)Oh i also found this thing: http://www.goodreads.com/group/1722-a-song-of-ice-fire-fans/comments/11373212 i guess this woman had the same conclusion :)

The Bulgars were Turkic and the Huns May have been as well, also the Turks did have khans at first. Before they migrated to the Middle East the Turks lived in Mongolia and Northern China and were very similar to the mongol tribes who they were related to and that basically means they were similar to the dothraki.

• 1 month later...

Mongols wear lots of armour (at least, those who can afford it). They're the most well-known nomadic horse culture which is why people often think of them first when they see the Dothraki, but honestly, they share less traits with the Dothraki than you would think. For example, Mongols built an empire that lasted for some time, something the Dothraki never do. They just roam around.

Dothraki are partially derived from a mixture of various kinds of steppe people (if you look you'll know there were countless clans with horse cultures, take for example the Scythians), however, they share most traits with the Huns. The tribute to pay off an attack, for example, is something the Huns did. Martin makes the Dothraki as brutal and vicious as he possibly can. This suits the Huns as well. Trust me, they were worse than the Mongols. When their leader (Atilla) died, everything fell apart (as with the Dothraki), there was no stable empire like it was with the Mongols. Huns also wore very little armour, much like Dothraki.

Mongols were also far more advanced than Huns. Everything we see about the Dothraki is really very primitive.

Well the Mongols were steppe people like the others until they were unified by the Great Khan, originally they didn't wear any expensive armor but after sacking and extorting countless city's they became wealthy beyond measure

As you say the Dothraki are equivalent of the Steppe people, they are nomadic and divided under many different Khans or in ASOIAF Khalisars and the type of warfare and brutality is obviously derived from historical Steppe peoples

Dothraki unified under the Stallion that mounts the world is exactly what the Mongols was, a unified Steppe people led by the Great Khan, but I don't see this happening in the short time frame left of ASOIAF...

For some fantastic history about the Mongols Dan Carlins series "The Wrath of Khans" is worth every second (free podcast series)

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive/Show-43---Wrath-of-the-Khans-I/Mongols-Genghis-Chingis

• 2 weeks later...

I think this discussion is going in circles, but anyway...For the record, GRRM said in an interview that Dothraki are based partly on the Mongols, but also on other Central Asians, and also on native American peoples such as the Arapaho. They are not any single real world group.

Thank you.

I think the clues to both those references are obvious. Given that it is purported the Turks were said to invent beef jerky (sometimes it is said the Turks, other times the Mongols) by leaving raw meat in between the saddle and the horse, and the horse's salt would preserve the meat. This was convenient for nomads / conquerers. And Dany was clearly given 'horse meat jerky' from Jorah. Where she asks him in short if they eat anything else.

And the Caustic people of Asia Minor were, correct... 'Horse people'.

So if the Red / Fire God in the show can be compared to Zoroastrianism... The Mongol comparison is not far fetched.

And, yes. The Turks descended from the Mongols. They were indeed nomads. After years of conquering other lands before settling in Constantine, they had many concubines. So even though they may not look like their ancestors, their language is not far removed from the Mongol language.

Non-believers, watch 'The Story of the Weeping Camel'. - National Geographic. Look at the language similarities, as I was lucky enough to watch it with two people who speak fluent Turkish. Also, how they tied their children up to posts while they were cooking. And the monotone, drab looking tents that looked completely different on the inside.. Opulent, with detailed rugs and hanging bronze artifacts.

Well the Mongols were steppe people like the others until they were unified by the Great Khan, originally they didn't wear any expensive armor but after sacking and extorting countless city's they became wealthy beyond measure

As you say the Dothraki are equivalent of the Steppe people, they are nomadic and divided under many different Khans or in ASOIAF Khalisars and the type of warfare and brutality is obviously derived from historical Steppe peoples

Dothraki unified under the Stallion that mounts the world is exactly what the Mongols was, a unified Steppe people led by the Great Khan, but I don't see this happening in the short time frame left of ASOIAF...

For some fantastic history about the Mongols Dan Carlins series "The Wrath of Khans" is worth every second (free podcast series)

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive/Show-43---Wrath-of-the-Khans-I/Mongols-Genghis-Chingis

Tis true.

And, yes. The Turks descended from the Mongols. They were indeed nomads. After years of conquering other lands before settling in Constantine, they had many concubines. So even though they may not look like their ancestors, their language is not far removed from the Mongol language.

Actually Turkic and Mongol tribes were descended from the same ancestors.

I'm not familiar with how Turkish sounds, but geographically it makes sense. Khal Drogo was based on Attilla the Hun and Ghengis Khan. Between Hungary and Mongolia lies...

... half a world.

Anyways, that's news to me. :commie:

Russia.

:lol:

Not having an ü and ö sounds the Dothraki doesn't really sound like Turkish. To my ears it always sounded like Arabic mixed with Kazakh. Maybe that's wrong.

Many historic Middle-Eastern tribes used the word khan for their leader by the way, that's not mainly Hunnish, Mongol or Turkish. Hunnic belonged to the Turkic family, however. As for military strategy and style I think the Dothraki way of war resembles the Mongolian more, even though the barbaric aspects may come from Huns (or of what Romans wrote of Huns). The Huns (and Mongols) however lived in a far colder climate than the Dothraki and thus I'd compare their clothing to that of the medieval Turks (topless, sandsilk and co).

Btw, I don't think GRRM gave such deep thought to who exactly inspired the Dothraki, just thought of an average Middle-Eastern nomadic culture (which applies for both Mongols, Huns, Khazars, etc). Even history finds the similarities and differences and origins of these tribes pretty controversial.

Your point? Same origins, but different. Conquering other countries and having harems tend to have an affect on civilizations. But one civ is now called Turkey, full of Turks. The other called Mongolia full of Mongols. Turkic origin = Mongolia.

Actually Turkic and Mongol tribes were descended from the same ancestors.

• 3 weeks later...

Mongols and Turks are not same origin. Some Turk clans joined Mongols, just all. And Turks were nomad/wanderers so there were so many Turk clans in history and many of them joined China, or Hungary or Bulgaria etc...

Archived