Will the Greatjon ever make it out of the Frey dungeon?

As much as I would love to see the Greatjon break free, unleash his awesome badassery and rally the north against the Boltons and Freys, it just sounds too good to be true. What I believe is more likely to happen is that he breaks out and is killed before he can get away, angering the remaining Umbers and much of the north. This may be what causes downfall of the Boltons, and not Stannis like so many predict. But of course this is all assuming that the Greatjon is still alive and somehow breaks out of his imprisonment.

Though I must say that if he does escape, one fight I have been wanting to happen since the beginning of the series: Greatjon Umber vs. Gregor Clegane!! :drool:

great jon somehow breaks free, goes north,befriends tormund then challenge roose and ramsay.

tormund and the great jon vs creepy rapist guy and his wacko son.

end of the story beating the shit out of this freaks for gods ehm trees sake.

I'm disturbed that his character didn't appear at all in season 2 of GoT. Maybe the showrunners knew that he will have no important role in the future in the books, so they just wrote him out of the show.

Greatjon appears in the beginning of epsiode 4 right as Robb's army attacks Stafford Lannisters. He has one or two appearances in the background. I think his parts were written out to start introducing Roose Bolton.

Greatjon appears in the beginning of epsiode 4 right as Robb's army attacks Stafford Lannisters. He has one or two appearances in the background. I think his parts were written out to start introducing Roose Bolton.

Actually he doesn't appear at all. Just a sample of "THE KING IN THE NORRTH!!!!!" used as battle cry prior to the Battle of Oxcross

Greatjon is already biting and tugging at his chain with his teeth. It's only a matter of time before he breaks them off. Then he shall escape, take on dozens of Frey's by himself (biting off an ear or two, you know?) before he finally reaches Lord Walder. He will grab one of the Freys' sword, raise it high, and will give one last mighty THE KING IN THE NORTH!!! before shoving it to Walder Frey's... ahem, backside.

No but it should happen this way because of reasons xP

I am not getting why people are taking clues from TV episodes rather than finding in the books because the tv series has already taken a different turn altogether from the books and i am not going to watch the 3rd season altogether if they are not sticking to the books.

I am not getting why people are taking clues from TV episodes rather than finding in the books because the tv series has already taken a different turn altogether from the books and i am not going to watch the 3rd season altogether if they are not sticking to the books.

Watch out, we got a purist over here! I only (Shamefully as some might take it ) got in to these books when a friend suggested watching the TV show, I got the books first and read through them and then watched some of the show. From what I saw what they kept the same they did very well and what they changed people didn't know. I don't have a problem with them myself. GRRM said he intents to make the show different to the books.

Greatjon is already biting and tugging at his chain with his teeth. It's only a matter of time before he breaks them off. Then he shall escape, take on dozens of Frey's by himself (biting off an ear or two, you know?) before he finally reaches Lord Walder. He will grab one of the Freys' sword, raise it high, and will give one last mighty THE KING IN THE NORTH!!! before shoving it to Walder Frey's... ahem, backside.

No but it should happen this way because of reasons xP

Amen to this theory. I hope this happens and Walder Frey dies a bloody death at the hands of the greatjon

That would be a great Prolouge chapter, even better if the Greatjon and some of the other Captives make it to Howland Reed somehow.

:fencing:

We can only hope.

It would be interesting if he returns. He would bring back a lot of nostalgia of the earlier plot, refreshing the North Remembers bit.

I have a feeling (As much intuition one can feel about a fictional character......) that he will somehow be out of that prison. He might do something booming, something sudden, but in the end he might not live long. So his comeback would be fairly brief, even if epic.

Can't say what, maybe do a one last "F**k you" at someone like Walder Frey face to face, cause his death in honour of the north then get killed by surrounding men. Or rally up secret supporters somehow in the area, do a little mini revolt. Maybe stumble into Nymeria, have a little "Heeeeyy I remember you doggie!" moment.

But he's never seen Nymeria before. She'd gone south with Arya and Ned long before the Greatjon made an appearance. It would be nice if he could somehow team up with Nymeria's mega-pack and test how tough the Frey's meat is though.

Whilst he's never seen her, he may well pick up on the fact that it's a direwolf, and the only place he's seen direwolves is around Starks. We are of course assuming that Nym/Arya realises he's on her side.

Whilst he's never seen her, he may well pick up on the fact that it's a direwolf, and the only place he's seen direwolves is around Starks. We are of course assuming that Nym/Arya realises he's on her side.

That was my thought. Personally I think Nymeria would be more likely to tear off his head than team up with him.

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope he comes back, but yeah, as Bong pointed out, it's likely that they wrote him out since they now know/assume that he's not going to be important anymore.

Although I do feel that, another part of the reason for him not being in Season 2 is because they chose to give his part (as Robb's second in command out West) to Bolton so that the betrayal will have that much more of an effect on the viewers.

We can't make predictions for the book based of the TV show. There are a hand full of changes that are going to rule out a lot of characters and events.

We can't make predictions for the book based of the TV show. There are a hand full of changes that are going to rule out a lot of characters and events.

exactly!

Only the books and novellas are canon. The TV Show is an adaptation, and GRRM already stated that some of their changes will have butterfly effects later in the story. (Mago, the Tickler)

I did read in an interview, that the actor was not available, when they shot the second season.

Archived