Crackpot theory on Jaime Lannister

BlueEyedCrow

After Jaime loses his hand, he feels as if he is nothing without his sword hand. He later realizes that he is indeed someone thanks in part to Brienne reminding him that people have worse lots in life and still find a way to survive. His sword hand was an illusion, as he is more than just a fighter. What that "more" is, I could not begin to tell you, but I do sense there is some sort of epic redemptive arc in his future.

There has been no sign of any such redemption yet. And at this late date, I think there is no time for one.

Lancel invited him to repent. Jaime asked if the Seven would give him a new hand. Lancel said, no. Jaime said, screw it then. And that has been the final word so far on Jaime accepting the loss of his hand and becoming a better person.

Next step: Rhllor will offer him the new hand that the Seven will not give him.

I can see Jaime regaining a hand (a hand made of gold, specifically).

Yup. That's what I think is coming. And it's not a good thing either.

My guess: What people see as foreshadowing that the loss of his hand will lead to his redemption, is in fact foreshadowing that the regaining of his hand is the mark of his final and utter damnation.

But I think by the time he regains it, he realizes he does not need it.

What would be the point of that?

• 4 weeks later...

My crackpot theory is that Bran will offer Jaime back his sword hand if Jaime agrees to be warged by Bran so Bran can be the knight he always wanted to be.

What I expect to happen is that Jaime will be brought in front of Stoneheart and Brienne will convince her that Jaime is much more useful as the Trojan horse to get them into Riverrun for the wedding. Brienne and Pod will be kept as hostages to ensure Jaime's participation. I don't think they will do a repeat of the RW as I don't think there will be a wedding, but they will kill a lot of Freys. Stoneheart will be able to die because the Freys will be eliminted as a force (and perhaps she will find out from Bran that all her other children are alive). The Blackfish will come out of hiding to reclaim the castle for the Tullys, the BwB will disband, Devan will be swapped for Edmure, Jaime will head back to KL, Brienne will go to free Sansa from LF.

I must say, him leading the BwB sounds like a lot of fun!

Him getting his hand back sounds a bit farfetched, though of course one cannot say it is impossible.

I don't know if him getting his hand back would stop his current transformation. Perhaps he has walked enough in someone else's shoes to understand the changes he has to make in his life.

Him leading the BwB with Brienne and Sandor would be dreamy.

I don't think Jaime will gain a hand nor lead the BWB.

His arc so far has pretty much gone from incestuous egotist to Westeros' One True Knight. His reading of the White Book and seeing just how much other Lord Commanders had done in comparison to his blank page had a huge impact on him. It came at the right time.

Whith his newfound honor, I believe he's looking at a lifetime of Tywin telling him about legacy, the power of the name in a new perspective. He has seen what legacy for legacy's sake has gotten the Lannister name and may be a bit ashamed of it. Martin loves the perversion of good intentions, I think now towards the end of the series, we'll start to see the inverse of that. Jaime (and Tyrion) will succeed where Tywin failed at securing the legacy of the Lannister name, because he tried to do so with force, violence, and corruption. Ironically, by not being obsessed about it, by putting the realm first, Jaime (and Tyrion) will secure a legacy for the Lannister name that Tywin never could have dreamed let alone accomplished, and they'll do it by being the opposite of their father, by doing things he would have deemed as weak.

I think that will be what's written about Jaime in the White Book. That when the entire world went to shit, this mother fucker stood true. The farther things fell, the higher he rose to the task, the harder he worked, the more he gave.

If he has anything to do with the BWB, I think it will be in giving them his blessing. He may even give them a banner, legitimize them.

Will he die? I don't know.

Then again, I'm pretty sure none of my predictions ever come to pass, so there's that.

Jaime remains selfish. He loves himself. He loves his reputation. His look through the white book is a narcissistic exercise in looking in the mirror. He wants to be loved, but does not actually want to be virtuous, except as a means to an end. His arc will echo Galadriel's dark fantasy of "All shall love me and despair".

His attitude towards virtue is perfectly illustrated in the chapter where he first meets Lancel's war bride, and then meets Lancel. He sees a show of virtue as a means to an end - gaining the love and support of the peasantry - but he despises actual virtue - virtue for its own sake - not seen as a means to an end.

He sees that Lancel's castle is well managed. He sees Lancel surrounded by fiercly loyal common folk, who seem to love him, and whom he addresses as "my friends" as though they were his equals. And (although he has just spoken of the importance of gaining the love of the peasantry) it makes him MAD. Because it is not just a ruse. Lancel really means it.

• 3 months later...

Rather than getting a magical, undead hand, can't some smith (Gendry perhaps) just craft him a sword appendage for his right stump?

:agree:

While I detest the idea of magical undead hands, I think the golden hand will have a part to play in Winds of Winter. It's made of gold, it's really, really expensive. Gold, and greed, tend to make people blind ...

For WOW chapter I would like to see after Jamie find out that his son Tommen is killed and that his daught is on her death bed Jamie goes on a drinking binge over the loss of his children. Briann tries to confort him which leads to sex and Bri becoming pregnant with Jamie's child.

brienne is too ugly for jamie's liking. isnt she missing teeth from when rorge tried to rape her? i think Lady Stoneheart will give up on her search for Sansa. By threatening to kill Brienne, she'll convince Jaime to assist her in going to the Twins, and killing Walder Frey.

losing his sword hand has made him reassess everything he stood for and believed in. it's the single best thing that has happened to him in the entire series.

jamie will not get a new hand, if he did it would signal the end of his character growth.

I happen to disagree. When Jaime lost his hand he questioned everything and reassess as you said everything he believed in. But if he has grown as this person, given the chance to return to his glory, would he go back to his old ways or would he become a new breed of himself? I dont think it would end his character growth, I just think it would pose new questions and it would test him as a man. Will he be the man he wanted to be? Or will he be the man he didn't much like?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a crackpot theory:

Jaime lives long enough to encounter Dany. He tells her the same story of Aerys' death that he told Brienne, and at least to some degree Barristan confirms his story.

This leaves Dany to reconsider that nearly everything she knows about the rebellion from Viserys is either wrong or very skewed. She pardons Jaime.

By this time he's already killed his crazy ass sister, so maybe that factors in. Jaime becomes lord of CR, which is what he's been saying for years is what he doesn't want. Character redeemed, tho in a strange way. And whether or not his hand is restored, character development is not lost

The problem with jamie is I think his story may end and end very soon

I definitely agree with this theory. It's very strange to me how everyone in this forum believes that Jaime is too important of a character to die. A lot of people felt the same way for Catelyn and Robb.

I can definitely see Jaime dying in TWOW. There are way too many characters now and even GRMM stated that he needs to get rid of some characters.

Archived