Crackpot theory on Jaime Lannister

BlueEyedCrow

Why

Jamie's arc is pretty much done because if first 2 books he is the king slayer and he is sleeping with his sister,then in feast when he loses his hand he has a revelation and starts seeing things in their true color and saves brienne then goes to riverlands and tries bring peace to them what more can he do ?, because he can't go on a mission to find sansa or arya that is not his nature in fest he wanted to return to tommen's side so that he did not want him becoming another joffrey but now KL is in mess so as he has no where left to go his arc is pretty much done.

Jamie's arc is pretty much done because if first 2 books he is the king slayer and he is sleeping with his sister,then in feast when he loses his hand he has a revelation and starts seeing things in their true color and saves brienne then goes to riverlands and tries bring peace to them what more can he do ?, because he can't go on a mission to find sansa or arya that is not his nature in fest he wanted to return to tommen's side so that he did not want him becoming another joffrey but now KL is in mess so as he has no where left to go his arc is pretty much done.

No way, his arc is far from done.

He still has to have his confrontation with Dany about her father Aerys (who is still stuck in the East) - otherwise she'll have no one to mete justice out on (since Robert, Jon Arryn, Ned, Tywin are all dead - Jaime is the last big player in Robert's rebellion - she'll never get closure for the Rebellion if she doesn't mete out justice on someone), and have the finish to the scene with Tyrion (also stuck in the East) from ASOS (where Tyrion lies about killing Joff).

losing his sword hand has made him reassess everything he stood for and believed in. it's the single best thing that has happened to him in the entire series.

jamie will not get a new hand, if he did it would signal the end of his character growth.

Disagree. Losing his hand sure did these things but why does gaining a hand undo them? I'm not thinking this will happen, but the logic you offer isnt sound. We known Jamie is already training with his left hand. By your accounts if he learned to be as good with his left as he was with his right his character growth would end because he would be a fighter again? Not so. The loss happened and as a result his growth.

Learning to be as much a force of a fighter with his left is further growth. Now imagine if he did get his right hand back how much of a force he would be. A changed man with 2 unstoppable fighting arms. For undergoing this growth he almost deserves his hand back, I mean...hey, it's not sooo bad for Bran up in that tree.

Disagree. Losing his hand sure did these things but why does gaining a hand undo them? I'm not thinking this will happen, but the logic you offer isnt sound. We known Jamie is already training with his left hand. By your accounts if he learned to be as good with his left as he was with his right his character growth would end because he would be a fighter again? Not so. The loss happened and as a result his growth.

Learning to be as much a force of a fighter with his left is further growth. Now imagine if he did get his right hand back how much of a force he would be. A changed man with 2 unstoppable fighting arms. For undergoing this growth he almost deserves his hand back, I mean...hey, it's not sooo bad for Bran up in that tree.

I agree that Jaime getting his hand back wouldn't totally derail his character growth with the following proviso. That if GRRM does choose to do so, it will not be early in TWOW. I don't think that he's quite fleshed-out enough his character growth yet to warrant such a thing happening. He hasn't finished growing.

In a weird way, if Jaime had not chucked Bran out the window, he would never be developing the warging and greenseer powers. Presumably, he would have followed his then dream of becoming a knight rather than develop magical powers. In a way, Jaime throwing Bran out the window started Bran's whole arc. And presumably, Bran's greenseer powers will probably be what helps Jon/Dany in some important way to defeat the Others and probably would make him much more useful in combating the Others. This is not saying that throwing Bran out the window wasn't reprehensible of course.

Plus when you really look at the series, he is the only character fit to be the "knight in shining armor." Of course Martin has done with that arechtype something brillant and turned him into a villian and anti-hero first but as the story progresses (not just Jamie's) it begins to bring his whole audition for that role into context. I think most of us can sense that Jamie is destined for something very big and heroic.

He really is the only non-special human left who can still be a fighter and make a difference. He has no warging powers, isn't involved with any "magic", he"s just a proud man from a proud family who was once a kickass fighter.

Plus when you really look at the series, he is the only character fit to be the "knight in shining armor."

Not just shining armor, armor like the "sun". When the ice zombies come in waves in the wake of an endless winter, personally I would want to be beside the bloke with the armor like the sun.

Anyway the following quote is the best evidence of foreshadowing that I could find when crackpotting this theory.

His hand burned.

Still, still, long after they had snuffed out the torch they'd used to sear his bloody stump, days after, he could still feel the fire lancing up his arm, and his fingers twisting in the flames, the fingers he no longer had.

My theory is that Stoneheart has Jaime killed in an unfair trial, which sets Thoros off (who is already unhappy with Stoneheart) and he gives Jaime the kiss of life. Jaime, who is wearing his gold hand will be reanimated and in the process the hand becomes apart of him. We all know that the people who Thoros revives come back and aren't themselves so Jaime could come back even more redeemed, since they always come back a little further down their most recent path. I think he will take over leadership of the BWB and will be an asset in the fight against the others.

Could Moquorro's (sp?) healing of Victarion's hand be some sort of forshadowing to a healing event of Jaime? Jaime seems to be in a bad place at the end of ADWD, but what if Thoros heals Jaime's hand? What if Thoros, who seems to be somewhat discouraged by Lady Stoneheart, takes her "fire" and uses it to heal Jaime's hand? BOOM! Jaime is the new leader of the BWB.

He needs got to have a hand to be healed

My theory is that Stoneheart has Jaime killed in an unfair trial, which sets Thoros off (who is already unhappy with Stoneheart) and he gives Jaime the kiss of life. Jaime, who is wearing his gold hand will be reanimated and in the process the hand becomes apart of him. We all know that the people who Thoros revives come back and aren't themselves so Jaime could come back even more redeemed, since they always come back a little further down their most recent path. I think he will take over leadership of the BWB and will be an asset in the fight against the others.

this theory causes vomit to build up in the back of my throat.

Jaime can still progress and grow with a hand (not that I think he'll get his hand back, or become as legendary a fighter with his left), he lost his hand and realised that he had been fighting for all the wrong things. Now he has learned what he should fight for.

In another sense, I can see Jaime getting his hand back metaphorically. We saw him riding around sorting out many of the Lannister's problems, acting as a just leader. I think he could easily become a great leader of men, more honourable than before and use this command to turn many to the fight for justice. He might not have his literal hand, but the swords of a loyal army are better for fighting moral wars than a corrupt swordsman's single blade.

• 2 weeks later...

losing his sword hand has made him reassess everything he stood for and believed in. it's the single best thing that has happened to him in the entire series.

jamie will not get a new hand, if he did it would signal the end of his character growth.

I don't think that a new hand will instantly halt and stunt his growth.... He has been enlightened and the learning process his character has gone through would out way him getting a new hand. This series and its characters are so complex that I don't think it is as simplistic as "Jamie with 2 hands = bad VS. Jamie with 1 hand = good"

I could see Jaime getting a new hand before I could see him leading the BWB.

P.S. - I think there is only a .1% chance of Jaime getting a new hand.

P.P.S. - He is never going to lead the BWB. Their goals/values/lifestyles simply do not match. He might go off on his own to do justice with Brienne. They might even pick up a member or two from the BWB who is not happy with how things are going. But lead the BWB. No. He wouldn't want to and they wouldn't want him.

Wow, we disagree for once, Danelle.

I see Jaime leading the BwB with or without Thoros' magic (in fact, I very much hope without). I see the BwB as having lost their cause and fallen down into a path of vengeance. Jaime, too, is feeling vengeaful toward Cersei. Both are in a dark place - and thus, I see similarities between them. I think the BwB *need* a strong leader - as they seem to have lost Beric and Stoneheart is... Stoneheart. I would love for them together to see their cause righted again. I think Jaime is clever and savvy enough to show them how hypocritical they're being by blindly killing anyone with Frey or Lannister association - and I would hope the BwB would see that too.

Plus - Jaime is a Brother without a Banner now. He rejected Casterly Rock, he has left his army, his allegiance is to the KG but even that is not as good as it should be because of his past - plus, he is cut off from those 'brothers' too.

I don't think this idea is farfetched, we already have the lines "Hands of gold are always cold, but a woman's hands are warm" (granted in a different context). I think it would be interesting to work this back into the story, maybe as Jamie is choking the life out of Cersei as her Valonquar. Maybe they will be the last words Cersei hears or something. Jamie losing his hand was a huge turning point for his character, but I don't think getting it back would undo all the steps he has made in the right direction, if anything Jamie would see it as a second chance to making himself a true honorable knight and put his skills into use for the right cause.

Archived