Varys' invested interest in Robert's bastards.

BaseBornBastard

We know Robert was somewhat fond of his actual children, even if he did fail to take responsibility. It's possible that he ordered varys to see to their wellbeing and after his death, Varys still felt somewhat obliged to help them, maybe I'm seeing good that doesn't exist in two, at best, neutral characters.

Do you think Varys orchestrated Gendry's departure with Yoren?

I think Varys arranged his apprenticeship with Tobho Mott to begin with, and also sent him away with Yoren after the coup.

Eddard Stark would not have been able to arrange the latter, considering how events played out.

However, I do not think Varys knows Gendry's location now. He may know Edric Storm's, but Gendry's haphazard travels and disappearance into the BWB means he's likely untrackable.

(Not that he would tell anyone if he did know.)

I think Varys arranged his apprenticeship with Tobho Mott to begin with, and also sent him away with Yoren after the coup.

Eddard Stark would not have been able to arrange the latter, considering how events played out.

However, I do not think Varys knows Gendry's location now. He may know Edric Storm's, but Gendry's haphazard travels and disappearance into the BWB means he's likely untrackable.

(Not that he would tell anyone if he did know.)

The Ned could have bargained for Gendry's impressment as part of his agreement with Cersei. She really wanted that at the time.

Archived