Jeyne Westerling/Talisa & the RW

SkyBry

Talisa can't be Jeyne. She told Rob a story about her brother nearly drowning in the Rhyone and being saved by a slave. It just doesnt fit.

I loved that scene. It reminded I went to Darfur to visit some good friends and my brother fell in a river. A slave captive of the Janjaweed saved him. Since then I've devoted my life to becoming a nurse.

Listen the whole Robb married for honour idea while great for those into medieval fantasy, is just not likely to gel with a modern audience. The idea that a boy would feel obliged to marry a girl because he slept with her once, just does not make sense to a modern audience, where school kids choose partners like chocolate bars. The old idea of a "woman's honour," while very true until the mid 60s is now so outdated as to seem weird. Talisa as a more obvious "honey trap" is much more believable for our audiences - just like the way they aged the kids up two years - neither is consistent with the medieval era, but make the story more acceptable for a modern audience.

I've said it before and I'll say it again--if they can show Robb falling in love with a girl that he just met, who speaks in a way that most women in that time period wouldn't dare to towards their kings, and then have them have pointless strolls through the forest, dishonoring his vows in front of his bannermen, and totally ignoring his bannermen in favor in talking to her, they could've used that time to show nurse Jeyne and Robb falling in love with each other. What exactly is so unbelievable about a guy falling in love with a girl who nursed him back to health? It's a common trope and completely and totally more believable than the Talisa scenario. I have not met one person who thinks that Talisa makes more sense than Jeyne. Talisa is just some Strong Independent Woman stereotype that the show is already bulging with.

And how unbelievable is it nowadays that there are sweet, meek, and shy young girls who fall in love with kings?

I've said it before and I'll say it again--if they can show Robb falling in love with a girl that he just met, who speaks in a way that most women in that time period wouldn't dare to towards their kings, and then have them have pointless strolls through the forest, dishonoring his vows in front of his bannermen, and totally ignoring his bannermen in favor in talking to her, they could've used that time to show nurse Jeyne and Robb falling in love with each other. What exactly is so unbelievable about a guy falling in love with a girl who nursed him back to health? It's a common trope and completely and totally more believable than the Talisa scenario. I have not met one person who thinks that Talisa makes more sense than Jeyne. Talisa is just some Strong Independent Woman stereotype that the show is already bulging with.

And how unbelievable is it nowadays that there are sweet, meek, and shy young girls who fall in love with kings?

I think why they chose this route...and i don't agree with it. Is they thought American audiences couldn't grasp the connection between Robs sense of duty and Eddard’s sense of duty. They wanted it to be more of a Cinderella love story then it really was in the books. I think this diminishes Robs character and makes him look even dumber. It will however add more bite then her mother did with her sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Archived