Dany's development

jcruz

Its probably just me but after reading this book I felt slightly annoyed by Dany's character. In the first book she wasn't my favorite but still a likeable character since she went from the obedient little sister to becoming a strong woman. But now I'm getting tired of her constantly reminding us that shes the "blood of the dragon" in every chapter. In my opinion she's slowly becoming like Viserys since her entire character arc this book was about her trying to find an army and invade Westeros (sound familiar)? Also she does seem to forget that her father was the Mad King, and rightfully overthrown. I know this is an unpopular opinion but what do you guys think?

P.S. Shes still hot though (:

She's a teenager and still finding her feet. I think she knows she has a great destiny (potentially) and surely that is bound to play tricks with her mind. She has seen her brother die, her husband die, her baby die and the dragon eggs hatch! So she's bound to be reading into all these events and feel rather special.

I think she knows that her family is a bit map and maybe, possibly, she's is monitoring her state of mind and constantly checking for signs of madness. At the same time, she has to lead (people like Jorah etc are obviously following her wherever she'll lead them to). Not easy. You need self-confidence to lead. Where do you find it when you're young and inexperienced? I think she is probably trying to reassure herself that she is special, and the "blood of the dragon" helps.

I'm just glad that GRRM has introduced us to some strong female characters. I think Dany has come a long way! But her chapters are very different from the rest of the story, so maybe that's why you felt slightly annoyed when reading her jesse cruz. :dunno:

Yeah, her chapters are really different. cause, geographically she is in such a different zone. And all the other characters connect somehow except Dany doesn't connect as much to the other people. Of course she will eventually come over, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

Yes, I wonder when she'll change her opinion on the throne idea. Not everyone can be the king or queen. And there are other good candidates. Or is she just going to overpower everyone else.

But, she does progress as a character. For example, she survives the test and learns about prophecies or stuff that might happen in the future.

She did annoy me a bit in the second book even though she was one of my favorites in the first. I think it gets better though. I am more than 350 pages into the 3rd book and she is far more bearable there, and her chapters, while still disconnected from Westeros, are mostly good. She matures a bit, which is kind of nice.

For me, Dany went from being a slightly annoying girl in the first book, to an interesting woman in the second. The "strong woman" thing isn't so much of that I think. It is more about her begining to fulfill her potential. I see it in terms of leadership and general humanity- she is becoming a strong leader and figuring out who she is at the same time. Also, for me, her and the dragons are as entwined as characters as Bran and Summer. When I read a Dany chapter I feel like I am reading a Dragon chapter. That may be obvious but really we are reading about the re-emergence of Dragons in the context of the character of a young, deposed, queens aspiration to power and quest for identity. I know everyone has different tastes, but really, for me, not much more I could ask for. I love the Dany chapters, they are some of favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say she was annoying in the A Clash of Kings, but her story just seemed out of place with the rest of the story. It seemed to me that every Dany chapter just took away from the rest of the story. When you got enthralled by what was happening in Westeros, Dany's story would come in to kind of act as a buzzkill. Perhaps it was because so much was happening in the rest of the story, and over in Vaes Tolloro and Qarth, it wasn't as adventurous.

I've hated her since the beginning .. I still do, she's boring.

Also she does seem to forget that her father was the Mad King, and rightfully overthrown.

that is what his enemies say about him not her brother Visry .. I don't think she knows anything about her father's doings!

Archived