WANTED: Feedback on how to handle apps from spouses/future spouses.

Linda

As you know, when someone applies for a character that is married to or betrothed to a current PC, we generally try to put the applicant in touch with said PC before approving the application. The current PC does not have complete veto-rights, but we do want to make sure we don't end up with a married couple in totally incompatible time zones or that do not get along at all.

However, this policy is causing us some problems. Many new players find it odd that they need to "sort of" get the approval of another player before their app can be processed by Staff. If the current player is active, it is usually an acceptably small hurdle, but even a few days absence can mean the new player gives up on the game before the current player gets back to us.

So, we're looking for thoughts on this as we'd like to streamline the process. One idea we've discussed is adding a +Prefs option that somehow covers this, but we're not quite sure what the options should be.

One would definitely be something that essentially says "I am open to anyone playing my spouse/future spouse, no need to contact me." That's the easy one and it essentially solves all the policy issues. So having that option in will likely make it easier in many cases.

However, we know this doesn't work for everyone, so we do want to offer some other options. We're just not quite sure how much control to give existing players. We definitely cannot go so far as to allow someone to completely block anyone taking their character's spouse/future spouse as a PC.

So, thoughts?

A thing I have noticed is that people do not put their timezones on their +finger. Sometimes guests want to be proactive and do a bit of "time matching" but cannot because the times aren't there.

I am not, however, saying: "Hey you need to put your name, state, underwear color." Just a time zone, or even times that you are usually on that relate to +time (Game Time) in a note in the +finger. That would go miles to help out.

Another thing that would help players/potential players, letting the prospective player view the PC "spouse's" +Pref. A lot of personal decision of "Hey, I wont be compatible with this guy/gal ICly or OOCly," can happen there.

Keep it simple, just like the Plot Pref: yes contact me, no don't.

One would definitely be something that essentially says "I am open to anyone playing my spouse/future spouse, no need to contact me." That's the easy one and it essentially solves all the policy issues. So having that option in will likely make it easier in many cases.

I think this would be a good intermediary step until final decision(s) can be made. I do think it is important to ensure players get along, and that time zones are compatible, and play styles/expectations are agreeable. It'd be quite difficult to play if you find the player of your betrothed/spouse is a complete opposite, doesn't share the same views on play, has different expectations for characters, etc. Some difference is good (says the conflict-lover!), but too many differences may yield an untenable situation.

I think having a brief blurb from people - almost like a personals ad, maybe? - regarding what they'd want for a spousal character/how they describe themselves. As an example (and by no means the ideal one):

Plays in GMT+5:30 and mornings/evenings in that time zone; looking for someone willing to discuss plans, establish long-term goals, but play them OOC only to see how story goes. Interested in conflict, maybe some romance; not interested in TS.

That kind of thing.

I think having a brief blurb from people - almost like a personals ad, maybe? - regarding what they'd want for a spousal character/how they describe themselves. As an example (and by no means the ideal one):

Plays in GMT+5:30 and mornings/evenings in that time zone; looking for someone willing to discuss plans, establish long-term goals, but play them OOC only to see how story goes. Interested in conflict, maybe some romance; not interested in TS.

Perhaps on the recruiting board. If someone is betrothed and they care about who is chosen, post one up.

I like this idea, a lot.

I like both of these ideas, and I think time zone matching plus a personals ad would be great.

I have noticed that as well as coming from the recruiting board, if there is a spouse/bethrothed on the +wanted they get noticed quickly even if there is no more descriptive bit on Recruiting to discuss the character. As a short-term fix, though, since it might be untenable to require a recruiting post for every character married or betrothed to a PC on the Wanted, perhaps anyone who has put one of those chars on the Wanted could write their Prefs for a spouse and anything it would be important for the potential spouse to know about them into a brief Public Note. In that way both Greeters and Staff could help make suggestions and prospective Guests could also look over the info themselves.

Yes, we do want to encourage people to set timezone. I will try to push that more in CG (it already does suggest it). I am also liking the idea of the "personal ad" -- but should we stick that in +prefs or +finger? Actually, let me elaborate on that question, because we are thinking of some changes to +prefs.

We are looking at dropping the numerical prefs, they don't really work well for matching up. If so, should we merge +finger and +prefs? Or does it still get too long.

If we remove the numerical prefs, +prefs will consists of an optional free-form comment (we can try and suggest more strongly that people should set one), the staff plot prefs and this new marriage/betrothal pref, whatever we call it. Plus some kind of blurb about what they're looking for in terms of partner roleplay.

Maybe we should also move or duplicate timezone in +prefs?

Ditch prefs, the numbers do not always add up, you are correct.

I am not afraid of it being too long, however. I would rather there be too much information, than not enough. That would also get rid of the pesky issue that one could run into of "not working for everyone."

Truly, having the existing and potential player speak to each other will always be the best way, but if the potential player has at least these references to look at a glance, they can decide to wait to speak to the PC.

+finger and putting RP Preferences there is a great plan. Then have people describe their ideal RP style. The character's persona usually suits well for describing the character and what the character wants out of 'life.'

Pointing a potential player to those two areas should give them a good sense of the player, and the players character.

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

If we remove the numerical prefs, +prefs will consists of an optional free-form comment (we can try and suggest more strongly that people should set one), the staff plot prefs and this new marriage/betrothal pref, whatever we call it. Plus some kind of blurb about what they're looking for in terms of partner roleplay.

What about a form with all of the categories in the numerical preferences setup wherein players can write a few sentences regarding their interest, or lack thereof, in combat, angst, etc.

With regard to personals and such--I'd suggest requiring the established player and the new player play first, i.e. with the existing character and a cameo before they're paired up--at least once.

Archived