Arrow

Myrddin

Did anyone else catch this last night?

For a pilot, it was ok. Sure, it's Hamlet meets Batman Begins meets Revenge, but I was always a fan of Green Arrow (ok, more of a Mike Grell fan after The Warlord) so I'll keep watching.

The uneven portrayal of Oliver did start to bug me, though. On the one hand, he's trying to hide the fact he turned into a badass on the deserted island, yet he flips his own mom over and almost chops her throat.

Also, I can completely buy he was toughened by his 5-year ordeal (body covered 20% in scar tissue), but did that really make him a martial arts experts or a engineer able to create his own specialized arrows? Granted this is an hour tv pilot that needed to get Oliver into the green hood before the end, but I think skimming over the foundations that Batman Begins gives everything a more rushed feel. Oliver doesn't need a Lucius Fox to supply his hardware, but at least some realistic avenue to go from shooting broad points to spiked arrow heads that hold a grapple wire.

Progression. That what was missing. The transition steps between the idea to the fleshed out persona.

Maybe some of this can be covered in flashback. Like spending time in Japan before returning home to learn to fight and create his tools.

Anyway. I'll keep watching for now. It's better than Revolution. ;) How's that for faint praise...

ETA: Did anyone catch the Mike Grell nod?

I liked it. There are definite implications that he wasn't alone on the island and I think we'll learn more as we go through the flashbacks. It's clear he didn't learn Russian by studying trees. Still, the main character held his own in the action scenes and I can live with a vigilante on TV. I never read the comics but enjoyed the show enough to stick with it.

I thought it was an okay first episode. Good enough to keep me watching for another week or two.

I wonder if they are going to make his kid sister his sidekick at some point, or if her nickname was just an Easter egg for fans? Same with Laurel.

As for him becoming a badass on the island, he never actually said he was alone on the island did he? I know it was sort of implied, but I am guessing he wasn't. I think some person or group of people were on that island and trained him.

Initial thoughts on Arrow: Like I figured from watching the trailers, the stunt work and action sequences are top notch -- especially for a television show on The CW -- but Amell has got to improve as an actor. The guy is an amazing athlete to do all he does on the show, but you can tell this is his first big job. Wet-behind-the-ears. I guess he reminds me of early Tom Welling in that respect. But, unlike Welling, Amell actually seems enthusiastic about the role.

I like it, it was good, fast pace and uncertain furture. Not wanting to spoil it for anyone, but I wished a show would take the time to develope a character in to a super hero. I agree, I think there was someone else on the Island (in smallville he had a teacher, [wasn't this supose to be a spin off of smallville at one point] who wasn't a good guy)

1. What happen to the body guard? He took him out but did he kill him? if so, isn't he going to be missed?

2. Ok I get he went to the factory his father owned, but he pulled crates with the hood, and equitment from under the floor? Was his father going to be the Green Arrow before?

3. His Mom is a villian?

I really liked it, I know it borrowed very heavily from Begins (and after reading on here the Hamlet comparisons are spot on) but as far as source material goes those are decent choices to base your show around. And I assume (and desperately hope) it will become more and more distinct from these sources as time goes on

Posted in the new shows thread.

I'm not sure what to think yet. There were things to like. There were things that I wanted to know more of.

How much will they be taking from the comics though? (Please not the Kevin Smith stuff...)

I actually really enjoyed it, much more so than I was expecting. I have no idea if it's following comic book canon, but I highly doubt that is and I really don't care. What was up with the angle of the dad's suicide shot? That bullet was going to blow out the other side of his head right through the raft.

There is a zero percent chance that he was alone on that island. Zero. I think he killed many, many, many people on that island.

1. What happen to the body guard? He took him out but did he kill him? if so, isn't he going to be missed?

I think he just put him in a sleeper hold.

2. Ok I get he went to the factory his father owned, but he pulled crates with the hood, and equitment from under the floor? Was his father going to be the Green Arrow before?

Don't know

3. His Mom is a villian?

I'm sure it's very complicated.

It was fine, I'll keep watching. They really should get rid of the voiceover though, that was really horrible, both writing and execution. The actor is fine as Green Arrow, but so awkward as a billionare playboy degenerate. Much lulz were had watching the CGI.

It was fine, I'll keep watching. They really should get rid of the voiceover though, that was really horrible, both writing and execution.

Completely agreed. I started watching Beauty and the Beast last night before remembering the debate was on. That show had a few bad voice overs as well. Maybe it's just a CW convention... But it's really not needed here. And lazy writing.

There is a zero percent chance that he was alone on that island. Zero. I think he killed many, many, many people on that island.

Just watched it. I liked it. The opening shot of the island had the Terminator's mask with an arrow through it when it showed the people from the ship just going to the island. And isn't Laurel the Black Canary?

Agreed about the voice over. The action was fun. Clearly Oliver's sister will need saving. And perhaps a more sinister role.

Another thing about the sister. talking about how hard the

last five years

were for her and how alone and traumatised she

was.

My inner reaction was - Oh Waaa!

Even though I don't

know how his life on the island went. I'm guessing it was at least a tad bit

harder than her lot in life.

I guess that moment made me take a dislike to his sister.

Clearly I have never read the comics. But I'll keep watching the show. I'm interested to see the story fleshed out.

And isn't Laurel the Black Canary?

She has the same name as the Black Canary in the comics. Will she wind up being Black Canary on the show though? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think the odds of that are probably better than little sis becoming the hero Speedy.

She has the same name as the Black Canary in the comics. Will she wind up being Black Canary on the show though? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think the odds of that are probably better than little sis becoming the hero Speedy.

Well considering the end of the show had Merlyn saying "Dinah Laurel Lance" I think she will be Black Canary if the show goes on long enough.

For a pilot, it was ok. Sure, it's Hamlet meets Batman Begins meets Revenge.....

Perfect synopsis. :)

I watched it. I'm interested. We'll see where it goes. I just hope they don't take the usual CW route where the guy verbally abuses the main female lead and all she can do is pine after him, "Aww, you're broken, let me keep subjecting myself to your assholery because I know deep down you wuv me."

This show has gone full on Batman Begins. I can live with that to be honest.

Crap! I just realized I missed this last night.

I hope it's on my on-demand...

ETA: I guess I unconsciously enjoyed the show more than I thought last week. My first response to missing it was a mental "Dammit!" Glad to hear it was good.

Crap! I just realized I missed this last night.

I hope it's on my on-demand...

ETA: I guess I unconsciously enjoyed the show more than I thought last week. My first response to missing it was a mental "Dammit!" Glad to hear it was good.

I did the same. If you know a good place to watch it online, lemme know please.

Archived