Arrow

Myrddin

I don't think it was that unbelievable either, but I sure got more enjoyment watching crazy Ollie.

Same.

For the record, that finale was awesome. Hammy, sure, but full of big moments. And as sad as I am that Tommy is gone, I liked his character too much to see him become a villain for flimsy reasons.

Laurel would be a half-decent character if she didn't forgive Ollie. It's like they had a goal to make her blander and blander.

I was left with the impression that he looked dead, but since we never saw a body being removed, just Malcolm slumped over...I'm leaving it open that he could return.

That would be the comic book logic for you. It is what it is and I don't think you can expect better on this.

I think the Merlyns are dead, though it does leave open the question of what S2 will be about.

As for comic book logic, this is actually the opposite. Comic books have cold killers being reformed and everyone forgetting and forgiving after the reform.

This is the opposite [reverse] - Ollie is still killing people, and everyone acclimates themselves to this. The show dances around this by claiming all the guys killed are bad, though seems like some of them are almost certainly just hired security who'd realistically be veterans.

Originally it seemed like Ollie was at least partially in the wrong, with Felicity hesitating about joining up with a murderer.

Heck Tommy was the only person who managed to continually point out the fact Ollie kills people.

Great finale, far better than I would have thought. Tommy being dead screws up Oliver's chances with Laurel and saves his character from going dark, as one above me has already posted, for shallow reasons. I am betting Malcom is alive simply because you don't kill off an actor that freakin' popular with genre fans.

See that makes sense. I am a show only watcher. And the time lines didn't click.

Show has nothing in common with comics, so you're not at a disadvantage :)

Basic timeline:

Tommy is eight years old. His mom is killed in the Glades. His dad then leaves the city, abandoning him right after he lost his mother, which is why he never really gets along with his father. During this time he becomes much closer to the Queens. That came from the New Year's episode.

When Tommy's about 10, Malcolm returns. Presumably he's been away training. He gets together with Robert Queen, who had to kill someone in the Glades, Frank Chen, whose daughter was raped in the Glades, and two other people. Five points of a star, yada yada. They begin working to create a list of people who have committed crimes and made a lot of money, then use that info as leverage to try to get them to clean up their act/get money from them to clean up the city. They do this for years.

When Tommy's about 22 (Laurel's applying to Law School), Malcolm comes to Robert with the idea of the Undertaking. Robert doesn't like it and says as much to Frank Chen. Queen plans to meet Chen in China to discuss how to stop Malcolm. Chen flies to China, Robert takes a boat, Ollie joins Robert. Ollie spends the next five years on an island.

I think the Merlyns are dead, though it does leave open the question of what S2 will be about.

Either the other two members of the Undertaking or what happens now that the Glades got partially leveled. Or Arrowested Development. :leaving:

But I'm with others who think Malcolm's alive.

I'm glad they leveled the Glades, made the ending more interesting and I'm glad that Malcolm got some measure of revenge. I would hope that the's alive and would crank up the vengeance to 11 after the death of his son, but he looked pretty dead at the end.

Poor Tommy, he got shafted. I'm charmed by John Barrowman and I really enjoyed him playing a romantic villain on this show. I'm going to miss the Merlyns.

Laurel and Roy are the worst written characters on the show by far. That's by probably why they weren't killed off. Many (including me) wouldn't have cared and actually would be happy they were gone. Tommy's death, on the other hand, impacts everyone watching that

Yeah, Laurel and Roy are real one-trick ponies. It's almost at the point where I can predict exactly what they're going to say at any given moment.

I certainly agree that these two characters are bland. But I also happen to find Felicity just a different sort of stereotypical "quirky bland." Right now, I think they need to right Laurel so she is less defined by her love triangle with Ollie and Tommy, which really bogged her character development in the last third of the season.

Archived