Oberyn Martell-Who Should Play The Red Viper Of Dorne ?

Flaming Heart

I think who gets cast as The Red Viper is also dependent upon the Mountain as well. Conan Stevens from season 1 has the height and the bulk to play the Mountain. However, the guy from season 2 was several inches shorter and also slender. I commented in another thread that the season 2 guy looked less imposing than Charles Dance as Tywin when the two shared the screen together.

If the season 2 guy is still there and they cast 6’3” Oded Fehr, it won’t look like such a huge contrast overall when they go up against each other.

However, if Conan Stevens returns, he has the mass and height to still tower over somebody as big as Oded Fehr.

Interesting - I had thought Stevens was like 7'5"? I think Whyte (thanks for the name, I had forgotten) was like 7'0" or 7'1"?

I saw another guy a few months back on the Disney show "Pair of Kings" - Dalip Singh Rana, aka The Great Khali - that might work as well. He's like 7'1", but like 350 pounds.

I think I must break another lance for the already mentioned Alexander Siddig.

Seriously, if we imagine the dornishman as more arabic looking, he is definitely the best choice in my opinion. Has everyone seen BBCs Hannibal here? Or Kingdom of Heaven? He has definitely the experience to look like a dangerous foe with sword and spear. And he is old enough for a battle hardened warrior, not like a Quentyn Martell lookalike. I prefer him before any european looking guy:

http://www.cineasten...67965_2_024.jpg

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/709/709399/siddig-kingdom1_1148065905.jpg

But then he simply has to wear his beard... elsewhise I would always see Dr. Bashir stranded on a medieval planet.

I'd love to see Purefoy in Game of Thrones, but not as the Red Viper. If any location needs charismatic actors to really engage the audience, it is the Iron Islands. If GoT can land Purefoy and Ray Stevenson for those roles in season four, it'd go a long way to investing the audience into that story line.

Cliff Simon or Alexander Siddig for Oberyn, or bust (OR someone equally impressive, but completely out of left field... Just not Oded Fehr, please).

When is his skin color specifically mentioned? Also, if one wanted him darker why is it impossible for him to get a tan?

• Oberyn is described as being "salty Dornish".
  • Salty Dornish are said to have olive skin, black hair and black eyes (i.e. very much not white).
  • GRRM has said that Lady Nym, the daughter of Oberyn and a noble woman from Volantis (who, as was reminded constantly during season two by certain members of this forum, are ethnically similar to the Valyrian Freehold) is similar in appearance to Janina Gavankar. As Lady Nym's mother is most likely white, we can safely assume that Oberyn is at least similar in ethnicity to Gavankar, or darker.
  • He can't just "get a tan" because that would be something known as "brown face", which is obviously incredibly racist.

• Oberyn is described as being "salty Dornish".
  • Salty Dornish are said to have olive skin, black hair and black eyes (i.e. very much not white).
  • GRRM has said that Lady Nym, the daughter of Oberyn and a noble woman from Volantis (who, as was reminded constantly during season two by certain members of this forum, are ethnically similar to the Valyrian Freehold) is similar in appearance to Janina Gavankar. As Lady Nym's mother is most likely white, we can safely assume that Oberyn is at least similar in ethnicity to Gavankar, or darker.
  • He can't just "get a tan" because that would be something known as "brown face", which is obviously incredibly racist.

How is Purefoy getting a tan racist but having Harry Lloyd in a blond wig just fine?

Also, exactly where is he described as Salty Dornish? I'm not saying he isn't, I'd just like to know what book/page that's on.

How is Purefoy getting a tan racist but having Harry Lloyd in a blond wig just fine?

Here you go.

Also, exactly where is he described as Salty Dornish? I'm not saying he isn't, I'd just like to know what book/page that's on.

Check the chapter where he is first introduced. That's normally a good place to find descriptions of characters.

Archived